Brake calipers

Got a 1989 110 originally a 2.5td running original narrow arm solid dis. Axle.

Looking at replacing front callipers believe 1 of the part numbers is Rtc5573

Have changed front discs and pads with ferodo pads, rear mintex shoes and Delphi cylinders. New master cylinder and servo tested and works well but when towing the brakes are poor. The front caliper pistons were not as easy as I would of liked when pushing back in

My question is, Is there a more modern/better caliper from a newer model that's a direct fit before ordering a new pair. 

I want to eventually fit discs the the rear salisbury axle but want to sort front axle first. 

Thanks in advance 

from 1987 on front calipers [non vented] were LH RTC5573 & RH RTC5572 for vehicles with rear drum brakes.

from vehicles fited with rear disc brakes the front calipers changed numbers to STC1266 RH & STC1267 LH, these ae for vented front disc

so if you need new calipers for non vented fronts use the RTC part numbers

On 8/22/2019 at 11:11 PM, western said:

from 1987 on front calipers [non vented] were LH RTC5573 & RH RTC5572 for vehicles with rear drum brakes.

from vehicles fited with rear disc brakes the front calipers changed numbers to STC1266 RH & STC1267 LH, these ae for vented front disc

so if you need new calipers for non vented fronts use the RTC part numbers

Cheers that's the numbers I came up with. 

Next project will be fitting rear disc to rear axle and presuming I have to change the master and servo to a 300tdi 

On 8/26/2019 at 10:35 PM, western said:

You could but not necessary, I converted my drum Salisbury to disc, kept the servo & master as it was, haven't had a lack of braking force or lack of fluid capacity. 

That's even better news as I put a nos master on it earlier in the year. 

• Like 1

I did add the low brake fluid float cap from a later vehicle, it is connected 1 wire to earth, 2nd wire to the existing PDWA valve wiring which is black with a white trace, you can find it in the loom where all the wiring goes into the bulkhead to instrument pack

13 minutes ago, western said:

I did add the low brake fluid float cap from a later vehicle, it is connected 1 wire to earth, 2nd wire to the existing PDWA valve wiring which is black with a white trace, you can find it in the loom where all the wiring goes into the bulkhead to instrument pack

Got a part number for the cap Ralph?

On 8/23/2019 at 1:02 AM, Tim2809 said:

That's good to know, as the part numbers change through out the years I was unsure. 

Might refurb mine with stainless pistons then if they are all the same 

That is my recommendation.  Even decent callipers will get rusty pistons within four or five years, so it’s better to spend the money on a permanent cure.  I have Zeus Engineering stainless pitons on two vehicles, and they’re superb.

Quick update. As time is short at the moment I fitted 2 new cheap calipers with intension of rebuilding mine. 

Fitted new ebc pads as my original ferrodo were worn at angles which proves my theory of pistons partially seized. 

Result is a sore head as I dabbed the brakes when moving up the drive and nutting the steering wheel. 

I've suffered poor brakes and just put down to an old vehicle, can't believe the difference even before New pads settled in and a trailer with 2.6t on the back.

Which colour EBc pads did you use?  I used green on my RRC and have been very pleased with the results.  Quite a few people said they had problems, though.  The yellow are meant to be very effective but faster wearing, and the red are just of right motorsports.  I think they also do a long lasting blue type.  Glad you got good results and can now see how unfairly maligned LR brakes are.  The same applies to the steering, which while anything but sporty should be firm, direct and free of play.

I’m pretty sure EBC state somewhere, packaging, website or whatever, that red are strictly for track use.  I may be mistaken, or things may have changed in the last few years, of course.  They should give superb stopping, but I wonder if they wear much faster as the inevitable compromise that must be made...

On 9/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, Snagger said:

Which colour EBc pads did you use?  I used green on my RRC and have been very pleased with the results.  Quite a few people said they had problems, though.  The yellow are meant to be very effective but faster wearing, and the red are just of right motorsports.  I think they also do a long lasting blue type.  Glad you got good results and can now see how unfairly maligned LR brakes are.  The same applies to the steering, which while anything but sporty should be firm, direct and free of play.

Running ebc green stuff 

When I fitted ferrodo all the pistons were free and easy to push back but they never had the bite or ability to stop as I expected. I always ran mintex til they changed compound and then squeal. 

As for wear I'm expecting 6 months from them due to Miles I do but £25 every 6 months is worth having brakes that work :)

Edited by Tim2809

11 hours ago, Snagger said:

I’m pretty sure EBC state somewhere, packaging, website or whatever, that red are strictly for track use.  I may be mistaken, or things may have changed in the last few years, of course.  They should give superb stopping, but I wonder if they wear much faster as the inevitable compromise that must be made...

The Redstuff is EBC's flagship street use pad. Low dust compound with minimal brake rotor wear..

No, not race.

orange is full race, blue track day.

https://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzdLrBRBiEiwAEHrAYiI5VXBVOrbpU7snHI6x0wkw0wWUUpMLBw_wcKvGqwJHxy2BPZy2vBoCl1wQAvD_BwE