Suspension help 1987 110 csw

Guys

i need advice.

im looking to update my set up . Had a quick nose this evening but couldn’t see any self leveller, spotted the A frame part but no levelling thingy ?? Should I have one on a csw ?

i want to keep standard height. Mainly used road now days with a little off road when camping etc, nothing extreme. Full length roof rack. Winch bumper but no winch ( robbing person I'm not that keen on) Nas rear, so some extra weight added even when empty. Add in 6 bodies and camping kit ... what would anyone advise please??

heavy duty? Med ? Progressive? 

What about makes

initial thoughts are monroe shocks and bearmach progressives but I don’t wanna get this wrong. 

Probably gonna do bushes aswell.. although no access to press

heelllp please

thanks

The Boge strut has probably been removed when faulty, Mine thankfully still works fine. I would suggest standard 110 spring from a newer model that hasn't got a levelling unit and if you intend carrying excessive weight occasionally consider fitting air assisters for when needed. Standard bushes are fine I re-bushed a spare set of arms so only had to swap them over, a local company wouldn't charge too much to push in and out.

Thanks Ralph.. is that what you’ve done ? We have similar vehicles and I tend to follow your choice for brands etca

what about fronts ? And shocks ? 

Brands anyone ? Terrafirma seem reasonable on price but seen some nasty pics on here after a few months of light use.

bilsteins a little too steep for me. Monroe seem fair price, it’s more the springs I’m not sure about. Ome seem good but maybe stretching the budget for the full job.

tooo many options 

Superpro bushes for me all round too. 1989 110 with a load of stuff (and water/fuel/people/bikes etc).

After a lot of consideration I went for standard LR springs front and rear, with the cheap and perfectly useful Armstrong shocks, but the really useful thing is the set of AirLift bags in the rear which I can leave softer for day-to-day running and pump up as required for more load-carrying ability.

Stability with a load when the bags are fully up is excellent. I've had the van for over 20 years and tried various set-ups with all sorts of stuff, including Bilsteins that cost three times the price of the Armstrong shocks and to be honest the current setup is just dandy. KISS approach to the bags too - the valve is beside the number plate at back and I can inflate/deflate with a bicycle pump.

rather than make a long list, all the superpro bushes are here https://www.superproeurope.com/products.cfm?vehicleid=5470

click on the blue text part numbers & it opens a bigger picture of each item

you need the standard sets of bushes, also check the rear anti roll bar diameter as there are 2, IIRC I used the ones for the 4 bolt brackets.

hth :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

I’m not to hot on the names of suspension parts so would I be better getting kit as opposed to individual bits.

i know my A frame bit is the bit where the boge possibly used to be?

hockey sticks I know.

the rest ?? Time for a retroanaconda lesson

thanks

if you have no self leveller fitted, and its not soggier than a soggy thing, then the springs will already have been swapped for something else. Any colour banding on them at all, then you will know what you have, and which way to upgrade.

15 hours ago, Chambo110 said:

I’m not to hot on the names of suspension parts so would I be better getting kit as opposed to individual bits.

i know my A frame bit is the bit where the boge possibly used to be?

hockey sticks I know.

the rest ?? Time for a retroanaconda lesson

thanks

UsevRetro's 110 parts book http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/2010/02/land-rover-defender-110-parts-book/ then you can match your parts with the diagrams.