Chassis number, on chassis

2a-Egg

So I'm thinking of making sure the plate in the cockpit is actually the right one. Which means finding the number on the spring hanger. My truck is 52 and the chassis has paint on it. So I'm thinking thinners to get it down to metal.. But then what, because 52yrs it's not going to be pretty and just show me the stamped number. 

Ideas anyone... 

Paint stripper. Wire brush.

Then take a rubbing, cover with thin paper and gently rub with soft pencil until the number appears.

Then apply a good zinc based primer, coat with several layers of paint. And finally, a good anti corrosion product, dinitrol/bilt hamber whatever.

Assuming it's the original spring hanger?

Worth it?

1 minute ago, Romahomepete said:

Do you mean S2 or 52 (80" S1) the numbers are in different places.  Also if it is ex mil it could be somewhere different.

Peter

It's an S2a and is 52yrs old. After a Web search online from the plate on the bulkhead it came up as dispatched to a dealership in Nottingham. Was just going to see if they matched up. 

3 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

If it's 52 years old, it was made in the late sixties, so chassis number will be on the spring hanger of the front spring, I think.

It rolled off the line on the 14th August 1967.

I have got most of the paint off, can see bare metal and a bit of rust, but no clear sign of numbering. It looks like the original part, or a damn good welder replaced it... 

Also I'm looking at the front nearside hanger

Edited by 2a-Egg

I found an old 67-71 2a chassis in the bush 2 weeks ago and its number was as I indicated - the passenger rear - likewise another earlier series 2 I inspected for club registration was also on the passenger rear.  I think series 1s are up the front somewhere, and my 101 is the front drivers side.

Does it really matter as it will only take 5 minutes to have a look on all spring hangers - it doesn't need to be hard.

3 minutes ago, garrycol said:

I found an old 67-71 2a chassis in the bush 2 weeks ago and its number was as I indicated - the passenger rear - likewise another earlier series 2 I inspected for club registration was also on the passenger rear.  I think series 1s are up the front somewhere, and my 101 is the front drivers side.

Does it really matter as it will only take 5 minutes to have a look on all spring hangers - it doesn't need to be hard.

Why make it easy though hahaha

Military ones tend to be but not always on the rear spring hangers inside or out front or back.

UK civilian ones are on the outside of the front offside dumb iron.

I have seen an ex australian military chassis with the number on the outside of the nearside rear spring hanger.

Peter

No - it will be specific for the model you have - have you spent 5 minutes of your life and checked the other locations - if it is not on the other spring hangers it will have been where there welding has been done.

Its not all that hard.

5 hours ago, garrycol said:

No - it will be specific for the model you have - have you spent 5 minutes of your life and checked the other locations - if it is not on the other spring hangers it will have been where there welding has been done.

Its not all that hard.

Alright.. I'm actually in London for a wedding this weekend. And if you read back I think my comment in jest  ( the haha gives that away) about it being on any one of the hangers.. Jeez didn't know I had to be so serious  about it. 

And no its not hard at all... Maybe I'll spend 10 minutes just incase I'm stupid and can't find it...