Where to put the spare wheel

What are folks opinions on where to put the spare wheel on a 110?

I had to change a wheel due to a puncture the other day and after removing the spare from the rear door, it has cracked the ali panel where it rattles around on there. Its not good for the door or its hinged and makes the door hard to open and close.

I have a replacement rear door to go on the 110 but I am not sure I want to drill it at all let alone mount the old wheel carrier on it.

I dont like most of the rear door wheel carriers - not keen on bolting through my nice galvanised body cappings and I cant afford the Nakatanenga or Allisport crossmember mounted units.

Bonnet Mounting? This could work. My bonnet is a 1989 version so should be strong enough - what are the disadvantages?

I could mount it on the roof rack (I don't have a problem getting it down from there and have had it up there before with no COG or stability problems), but it would go in a spot where I occasionally now carry a roof bag when camping so it would be a bit of a pain and in the way.

Thoughts welcomed......

bonnet mounts are available for the older bonnets, but on the bonnet just restrict forward vision, with a 255/85 tyre it could hide a small car in heavy traffic, 

why not put it in the rear between the wheelboxes & fit a sheet of wood or ally across the wheelboxes, then you have a unseen stowage place & a flat load floor.

Mines is mounted on the bonnet, the only disadvantage is lifting the bonnet, it’s heavy, I’m currently getting things together to put gas struts on the bonnet to make it easier. The vision IMHO isn’t affected. ...... oh, and it looks mean 😎👍

• Like 1

I did a quick trial around home with the spare (265/75R16 KM2) on the bonnet and it massively restricted forward version. My godfather many years ago when I started driving and had a Series 3 bought me a swing away wheel carrier (think it was sold as a Paddock Spares one but was actually built by Mantec) and it's been superb. Was only £50 at the time - I see that they're now almost £300.

Sorry not much help but I've been thinking about alternative locations for a while because I'm tempted to build a split tail gate back door for the Defender and it would be easier without the spare wheel there but not really found anywhere suitable - not enough space inside with the L322 seats and what I normally carry, bonnet restricts visibility too much so going to have to be back door.

Considered running without a spare as I've never had a puncture or needed one on the Defender but I know the moment I take it off I'll do something.

Thanks folks. 

I really dont want it inside. When i fitted the freelander middle row seats i moved them back 4 inches so lost a bit of boot space between the wheel boxes. I sont want to lose more as i often carry a lot of other gear.

I have a spare tyre and will have a play with putting it on the bonnet. I am fairly tall so not sure how much it will affect me but the other half is rather short so she may struggle. 

I have to confess, I am thinking about the roof again. I may have a play with the spare tyre and see how the roof bag will fit with it. I know this will generate some comments about roof weight, loads high up etc but it has been uo there before and doesnt affect handling at all. If I do, I am thinking of mounting on the passenger side as thats often empty. 

For what its worth, my 110 came with a bonnet mounted spare, but I found that it restricted my vision when offroad. I purchased a Mantec rear carrier and appreciate getting the tire out of my vision and it is a bit easier to wrangle than when it was on the bonnet. I also like being able to fully open the bonnet when working on the engine, something not possible with the tire there.

I think that with the Mantec I will be able to run a canvas top with a half side hinge rear door. All of the mountings are on the lower 'half' of the truck bed.

On the roof...may be easy now, but what about in 10 years. : )

I find that the tires on my truck get heavier as I get closer to 60!

Good luck!

20190830_115125.jpg

20190830_115137.jpg

If the spare is making the rear door hard to open and close, that points to a lack of maintenance of the hinges and lock.  That leads to slamming the door, which is what ultimately breaks them (especially if combined with rust).

18 hours ago, Snagger said:

If the spare is making the rear door hard to open and close, that points to a lack of maintenance of the hinges and lock.  That leads to slamming the door, which is what ultimately breaks them (especially if combined with rust).

Not on mine. The door is shut gently to the first click, then a firm push to the second so it can be locked.

Those using the bonnet mount Please change the folding bonnet strut to the later one piece solid one, item 7 in http://cat.lrparts.ru/?category=103620

the rivet in the folding strut is not strong enough to carry the wheel weight, it can & does give up & we don't want bonnets with spare wheels dropping on your heads, 

• Like 2

I have one on the bonnet and one on the rear door.  Each position has pros and cons.  See if you can sit in or even test drive one with a bonnet mounted spare to see if you can put up with it.  But anywhere is better than the roof.

57 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I have one on the bonnet and one on the rear door.  Each position has pros and cons.  See if you can sit in or even test drive one with a bonnet mounted spare to see if you can put up with it.  But anywhere is better than the roof.

I used to drive them all the time with the old Army 2.5n/a signals wagons. Not a problem if you 6ft tall.

I'd really not suggest bonnet-mounting, unless you also spend serious money on a robust and lockable 'prop' to keep that 50+ Kilograms of wheel supported while the bonnet's open and you're fossicking-about below...

Can you not flat-mount the spare in the back? I'm always instinctively minded to stash heavy-stuff as low-as-possible in the vehicle's weight-envelope, if only because when you need to swerve and you're cruising at 75MPH you don't need to engage with the sway-and-lurch issues of unnecessarily-high-mounted weight.

I too have 2 spare wheel carriers, MOD type bonnet one, and a rear door one.

Bonnet spare.......

Heavy Bonnet lifting,

awkward to get wheel on / off bonnet, as you have to lift it on to the wing first.

more weight on front

means you can have vents open, without a gale blowing in.

useful step up to roof

Rear door spare......

easier to lift on /off

adds a bit of much needed rear weight to an empty 110

makes door opening a tad heavier

easier to check pressure

useful step to get to roof

With Wallace, I  used a Disco pressed steel wheel carrier, mounted on a 3 mm ally spreader plate. The carrier is bolted to the door, (through the door) and on the inside, I have a x-plate cover, that is screwed to the door frame at 8" intervals with large self tappers,  which adds a lot of strength and minimizes flex in the frame.  I also cut lengths of pipe to sit between the door skin, and x-plate, through which the bolts pass, as anti crush spacers. works a treat, 12years now  and still going strong.

Edited by Yostumpy