Hi everyone,

I parked up about 8 o'clock on friday night and was in for the night, at around 11 o'clock I hear a gun shot sound followed my the car alarm going off. I turned the alarm off and investigated in the morning to find the explosion was my passenger side airbag. What on earth would have cause this to spontaneously explode? 

The airbag has now been replaced and the truck was returned last night, went out this morning to find it sitting on the floor again, turned the engine on and the airbag started inflating, is this a ride height sensor fault? A slow leak (in the brand new airbag)? What could this be, it is only on one side too so dont think it is the compressor. 

7 hours ago, Puffernutter said:

To clarify, air spring, not air-bag (as in internal safety feature?)

Regards

Peter

My guess is the air spring.

I had one explode on me, on the motorway at Carlisle on my way home, to Glasgow. That tuned out to be a faulty sensor causing the bag to over inflate however this case the car was parked up and the engine off so I don't know how the sensor could cause the spring to over inflate.

It shouldn't, my guess is the bag was just so rotted it blew out instead of slowly leaking.

The new bag going down could be as simple as the line not being in properly, or it needs a bit cutting off so the o-ring bears on a new bit.