The time has finally come...new chassis time

L19MUD

I'm too tight to pay someone to do them! Will get one out of the electrolysis bath tonight, dry it off and give it a quick shot blast to clean off

Then the age old question....do I split the calipers or not? If I do where do I get the gallery seals?, if I don't - how do I easily pop the pistons out now they are not connected?

shop4autoparts sell the gallery seals iirc. Split them for sure. When I did mine, the lower channels were blocked with a rubber goo that I presume was from less than frequent brake fluid changes. You would never spot this if you didnt split the caliper

Thanks all. I will get the bits ordered to rebuild them including the gallery seals

I cleaned all 4 up quickly last night and dropped back in the electrolysis tank to finish off before a final clean. Will then remove pistons and split them. 

Came up well for less than an hours work

DSC_1593.thumb.JPG.2f0bbd85542dd4aed30d91a3a511cd24.JPG

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, daveturnbull said:

The seals are easy enough to fit. It's the retainers that require the patience of a saint, and er... "language".

Get one of these, it will seat the retainer rings without any hassle https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-Defender-Discovery-Brake-Caliper-Rebuild-Tool-DA1153/183640654933?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'm going to rebuild my 110's calipers with stainless steel pistons & new seals in the next few weeks, 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daveturnbull said:

Wow that's pricey. Pretty sure I could cobble something up from bits of scrap and a G clamp that would work just as well.

I decided to get one to save my frustration at the retaining rings not fitting easily & it will save time. & foul language

Ordered all the parts needed today. I went for genuine AP seals and callipers in the end instead of stainless. The old ones have lasted 25 years (although I appreciate some of them were stuck!)

On another note I was going to order new rear brake pipes, I already have the front ones. The prices are mad though as two of them are only available from Land Rover. I think the parts I need for a 90 without ABS, with PRV (Chassis number LA933xxx) are;

ANR2775 PRV to flexi hose £76 Gen LR

NTC7676 T to RH calliper £110 Gen LR

NTC7689 T to LH calliper £9 pattern part

Why would the left hand pipe be availble as a pattern part but the RH is not?! I think I have the right part numbers. I know I could just make them up in Kunifer but I prefer the stonger original steel pipes and saves the hassle of bending them all up. 

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Have a chat with David at LLama4x4 for the brake lines. I'm not going to bother with any solid line on the 90. His are all £15 for upto 1.5M I think, made to order too.

We really need a wee emoji thing for a "can of worms"... 😆

• Like 1

18 hours ago, L19MUD said:

My patience with brake calipers is already beginning to expire... DSC_1594.thumb.JPG.6131c7a8e933a8ba6c1618088340c263.JPG

Got a caliper refurb planned for my 110, using new stainless piston kit f& new Ferodo pads or all 4 calipers, I hope my existing pistons come out easier than these did. or I'll have one of these to deal with 

Can o' worms.jpg

• Like 1