The time has finally come...new chassis time

L19MUD

16 minutes ago, western said:

Got a caliper refurb planned for my 110, using new stainless piston kit f& new Ferodo pads or all 4 calipers, I hope my existing pistons come out easier than these did. or I'll have one of these to deal with 

Can o' worms.jpg

I would suggest making sure they are all pushed out using the hydraulics on the car before you remove them. Will be easy then. The only ones I struggled with were pushed too far in. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!! 

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 2:40 PM, L19MUD said:

I would suggest making sure they are all pushed out using the hydraulics on the car before you remove them. Will be easy then. The only ones I struggled with were pushed too far in. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!! 

Yes I will, the pads need replacing soon anyway, so a good time to clean the calipers up & get the new seals/pistons fitted, I've had the piston kit for a few months now. I'll give the calipers a coat of VHT paint too.

2 minutes ago, western said:

Yes I will, the pads need replacing soon anyway, so a good time to clean the calipers up& get the new seals/pistons fitted, I've had the piston kit for a few months now. I'll give the calipers a coat of VHT paint too.

I'm going for red VHT, have heard it increases BHP by a minimum of 20% 😎

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, L19MUD said:

My patience with brake callipers is already beginning to expire... 

Anyone tried the method shown in the video around 3:36? I know they are motorcycle callipers but it's claimed the bus garage used the same technique.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CwazyWabbit said:

Anyone tried the method shown in the video around 3:36? I know they are motorcycle callipers but it's claimed the bus garage used the same technique.

I tried this before I got the welder out! Was unsuccessful as couldn't find anything quite the right size..... Didn't think of a socket

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

Looking good, very ferrari ! 😉

Which seal kit did you use in the end ?

Mo

Went for genuine AP pistons and seals. Figured the last lot had been in there 25 years and were really not that bad so they should last a good while

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 3:18 PM, reb78 said:

Sam, how have you found the chassis? I am considering buying from Richards too and wondered what you thought of it so far? Why did you choose them and not one of the other options out of interest?

I bought based on the experience of others when I bought one for my 109. The only issues I had then were the rear tub feont mount holes which I had to re drill. On that basis I went for Richards again for this one. 

I also really didn't want a td5 rear crossmember on a 200tdi which is what you get with some of the others

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while since my last update after being ill all over Xmas progress was slow. Chassis is now ready to accept the body, I have repaired the drivers footwell, painted and stone chipped underneath the body and I am finally ready to drop the body back on. Big day is tomorrow! 

DSC_1711.thumb.JPG.9893ba587f1b1a653ae71903a7d6e007.JPGDSC_1710.thumb.JPG.9a14296e1312185f49a1e8f042440d4c.JPG

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ballcock said:

It's only a short one. You should try a 110 Csw with two farm jacks by your self that was fun especially when it tried to topple over. Congratulations though it feels good to get it back together.

I had a farm Jack on each bulkhead foot and then the back was supported on builders trestles with poles across. We then lifted the ramp up as we dropped the bulkhead on the Jack's. 

Your way sounds less fun!