L19MUD

The time has finally come...new chassis time

How we removed/refitted my 110CSW body is in the tech archive & my rechassis thread. 

Ok so body on I started to think about what will hold me up getting it back on the road and realised the main thing out of my control was the galvanising and then painting/powder coating of some of the bolt on items. Cue a very dirty dusty day starting to get everything cleaned up

Just how fussy are the galvanisers when it comes to specs of paint or pits of metal where it is difficult to get the rust out?

The pile of bits to clean is getting smaller...

1595438707_Galv1.thumb.jpg.67ca30602948ae156535da8b612e627c.jpg580706097_galv3.thumb.jpg.cf3dda9d686f1b3e011a9a9854e6d100.jpg1095219831_galv4.thumb.jpg.7b9ca1bdf4a9a33e9d61c0cbb6681a91.jpg

The few times I've been to a galvaniser they like clean stuff as it saves there chemicals from getting fluffed up with dirt and old paint etc, but realistically the acid dips they have a pretty good unless its a really hard paint or big lump of rubbery sealant stuff. Surface finish they didn't seem to care about.

4 minutes ago, Maverik said:

The few times I've been to a galvaniser they like clean stuff as it saves there chemicals from getting fluffed up with dirt and old paint etc, but realistically the acid dips they have a pretty good unless its a really hard paint or big lump of rubbery sealant stuff. Surface finish they didn't seem to care about.

I think i might have been being a bit anal about it....

All the brackets I sent last time I blasted first. They do prefer stuff clean. 

I have been using a mixture of flap discs/wire cup brush and electrolysis then finishing with the blaster where I can get the part in the cabinet

My compressor can't keep up with the blaster so I have to alternate between methods and parts which makes progress slow

You will need to drill vent and drain holes in closed hollow sections so no matter which way the galvanisers hang it there are no trapped air pockets or anywhere for the zinc to get trapped . They will drill it themselves otherwise and it's not cheap

Nice to see it back together , it's a good moment lifting the rolling chassis up to the body and watching all line up .

cheers

Steve  b

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

I think i might have been being a bit anal about it....

I'd say it will still be worth it as the galvanisers will be happier with what you're bringing - and happy folks are more willing to help you out with any bits you've missed etc.

If you drag a big pile of crusty junk in they're not going to be well disposed toward you!

• Like 2

When I took my blasted chassis in sheeted up they laughed at me and said the pickle works better on rusty metal.. I would take a decent battery drill,  box of drill bits and a paint marker so you can mark and drill any holes they want there and then, Trust me having to take it away is annoying...

19 hours ago, steve b said:

You will need to drill vent and drain holes in closed hollow sections so no matter which way the galvanisers hang it there are no trapped air pockets or anywhere for the zinc to get trapped . They will drill it themselves otherwise and it's not cheap

Nice to see it back together , it's a good moment lifting the rolling chassis up to the body and watching all line up .

cheers

Steve  b

Thanks Steve. The only thing that has hollow sections are the tree sliders which were previously galvanised and have holes in them already so should be good on that front.

Looking forward to it being back on the road but I have got a lot of wiring and interior to sort out first!

18 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd say it will still be worth it as the galvanisers will be happier with what you're bringing - and happy folks are more willing to help you out with any bits you've missed etc.

If you drag a big pile of crusty junk in they're not going to be well disposed toward you!

I hope it will resemble something far from rusty junk after the amount of hours I have spent at the shotblast cabinet in the freezing cold!!!