Stinks of Petrol...

fearofweapons

Hi,

my wife's Series III with a 90 2.5 petrol webber carb'ed engine quite often stinks of petrol in the cab when its being driven. 
I do not think there is fuel leaking out around the carb - I have checked with it running and can see no drips.

What is the most likely culprit for strong petrol fumes?

cheers,

Richard ( with a petrol headache )

10 minutes ago, fearofweapons said:

Thanks for the replies. 

Yes had it running stationary and checked the fuel lines - no splits or leaks found. 

Re the tank - what needs checking for being sealed? The pipe connections? What's the best thing to use to seal them? 

Cheers Richard 

The sender unit will be on the top, with spade connection on it, for your dash guage, that's a Cork seal, the you have the filler pipes, jubilee clips secure them. And the fuel pickup itself which will be a seal again cork or rubber I think. But if there is a leak then you'd see/ smell it once the seat is off I'd imagine 

Hope you find the issue

• 1 month later...

So quick update....

Once I investigated properly I found that the fuel sender unit was not fastened down properly - it had a good 2mm+ 'float' up and down and was missing a screw; that may have been the main culprit. I have replaced all the seals leading into the tank and replaced the screws as the heads were a little chewed. After a test drive the smell of petrol is much reduced. Hurrah! 😀

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 2:16 PM, fearofweapons said:

So quick update....

Once I investigated properly I found that the fuel sender unit was not fastened down properly - it had a good 2mm+ 'float' up and down and was missing a screw; that may have been the main culprit. I have replaced all the seals leading into the tank and replaced the screws as the heads were a little chewed. After a test drive the smell of petrol is much reduced. Hurrah! 😀

Let's hope by now the smell had gone..