What is this supposed to tell me?

Hello to all of you. My name is max. 

I was wondering if anyone can tell me a little about this green ball-ball I found in my 1991 LR 110 Santana, which I just imported from Spain. I guess the "L" stands for "Low". I hope one of you can tell me a little about the ratio and functionality about this nob. Thanks.

IMG_0120.JPG

4 and 2 will be 4wd or 2wd - Santanas have part time 4wd like the old Series LRs.  If it works like the Series transfer boxes and has similar logic to a lot of other manufacturers, then L will be high range(normal speed, normal torque), C low range (lots of torque, but low speed) and PM neutral.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

14 hours ago, maxamillion said:

hold on...just one moment, please. Does this mean that I have no diff.-lock? 

No need for it - whenever you engage 4wd, the two axles will be locked together.  So, don’t drive on tarmac in 4wd (except straight lines, and even then keep it to a minimum and make sure all tyres are the same size and fairly equally worn or you’ll break something expensive.

So, remember, I have a left-hand-side Santana (Euro Style) steering. This photo has been taken looking down out of my seat over my right knee. And now because of your last advise I started wondering in what gear I am now. I would say, High 4. Meaning, if I understood what you just told me, Snagger, is that for driving on tarmac it should be in High 2. The nob should then be pushed to the right, where it  says 2?

1280425590_ChulaGear.thumb.jpg.2fe733575ba5853942b24b194260083d.jpg

1 hour ago, western said:

As L = high range then the current position would be 4 wheel drive High,

for every day use it needs to be back & right to 2 wheel drive 

That makes no sense because that would mean 2wd is low only. I would think you have 2wd high and 4wd (locked centre) hi and low. Therefore normal road use would be back and towards the main stick. Off road would be away from the main stick and back for high, forwards for low. But the easiest way is to try it.

Mike

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

That makes no sense because that would mean 2wd is low only. I would think you have 2wd high and 4wd (locked centre) hi and low. Therefore normal road use would be back and towards the main stick. Off road would be away from the main stick and back for high, forwards for low. But the easiest way is to try it.

Mike

Agreed. Also if owner drives it In "c" then stops and brings it back to "L" they should notice speed difference especially in 1st gear. 

I think over to the right and rearward is 2wd high. 

Towards left and reward 4wd high. 

Into c is 4wd low and pm is neutral for running pto driven equipment 

14 minutes ago, Tim2809 said:

Agreed. Also if owner drives it In "c" then stops and brings it back to "L" they should notice speed difference especially in 1st gear. 

I think over to the right and rearward is 2wd high. 

Towards left and reward 4wd high. 

Into c is 4wd low and pm is neutral for running pto driven equipment 

That's what I said for 2 & L. 

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Mike

L is Not low range it's Long or high. 

As noted by Red110

• Like 1

Oh, Boy... My head is still spinning like crazy from all the comments. Then I finally started to understand the complexity of the matter when explained. Then someone else flicks the whole thing back around. Ha ha ha... OK, what I will do is this. I will passionately wait for my new battery. 'Cause I can't start Chula with this battery. Then I will take her for a spin and see what is what. I will surely let you guys and girls know what this green nob is all about. But there is one thing neither of you written about. 

Let us pretend I was driving in low range (C, thanks to Red110.). This track I was driving on ends on a tarmac. Meaning that once on the tarmac I have no more use for a 4wd vehicle. I need a 2wd vehicle. So, what do I do?

Do I go from C (Low) to PM (Neutral) and the to L (High) 4wd en then to L 2wd?  

Or do I simply go from C to PM, the shove the leaver to the right and then down to L 2wd. Because then I don't need to travel through L 4wd anymore since I am on tarmac?

Thanks so far for all the thinking. helping me out with this stuff. I truly hope they didn't brake anything when the drove the car over to my place because when I got her (Chula) the green nog was in L4, High Gear 4. 

Ill keep in touch.

Western I apologise you are correct as for some reason this morning I assumed that the transfer box stick was to the side of the gear stick (al la series). Clearly I'm going mad as it is clearly behind the gear stick.

Left fwd low 4wd

Left back high 4wd

Right back high 2wd 

Middle neutral left or right

You can change from whatever gear to whatever you need as you will be doing it either stationary or below 5 mph I recommend with the clutch depressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 12:46 PM, maxamillion said:

So, remember, I have a left-hand-side Santana (Euro Style) steering. This photo has been taken looking down out of my seat over my right knee. And now because of your last advise I started wondering in what gear I am now. I would say, High 4. Meaning, if I understood what you just told me, Snagger, is that for driving on tarmac it should be in High 2. The nob should then be pushed to the right, where it  says 2?

1280425590_ChulaGear.thumb.jpg.2fe733575ba5853942b24b194260083d.jpg

Correct, aft and right for long range 2wd.  For light off road and slippery conditions, move to aft left to engage the front axle.  For really steep hills, deep mud and other times you need lots of torque or engine braking but not speed, push all the way forwards to engage the low range gears (think of the C and L as the front sprockets on a mountain bike, C being the small sprocket for hills and L the big sprocket for flat ground, while the main gear box is akin to the rear wheel sprockets of the bike).  C will always be 4wd, so does not need a sideways movement on the stick.

• Thanks 1

That all sounds terribly complicated! It's a good thing the new Defender comes with an autobox and you only need to play around with a touchscreen if you feel the need, and the electrickery will magically do everything for you!

Just kidding Max, you'll soon figure it out once you're driving and it wil become second nature. Enjoy you car (and maybe add some more pictures, so we know what we're talking about).

Filip

Am I the only one to be thinking the knob has been twisted 90 degrees and that the settings, and usage, would be a lot clearer if the control knob was turned 90 degrees counter-clockwise?

The OP has said that he is sitting in the Left-hand seat, looking down over his Right knee, which seems to say the green control knob is to the left side of the main gear-lever.
If I'm correct with turning the green knob counter-clockwise, point C should be nearest the front of the vehicle.

Regards.

Well, what can I say? I would like to start by saying thank you for all the advise and suggestions written in my first request. 

Today I had my first ride with Chula. I must say, the first thing I did was shove the green nob to the right, into two wheel drive. All went well when I took off. The M.O.T. story is a different story which I will post in a new subject. Because I now have two burning questions. But first some pictures of Chula. Mind you. Once all is fixed with the import and regulations in this country I will paint her NATO Stone Light. Never mind that is a different topic. 

Again, thank you for the advise, guys (and girls, if there are any.)

And now for ESCAPE some photos. 

$_86 (3).jpg

Chula.jpg

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

• Like 2