Scrap lowest mileage freelander?

oneandtwo

A friend of mine has a 2005 freelander 1.8 he bought brand new and now has just over 8000 miles (yes, eight thousand!) on it. 

He is shortly to replace it in a couple of months when MOT is up due to a cracked screen, and the original tyres are cracking badly.

Is there any value to it as a whole for parts or does he just scrap it? Cosmetically it is starting to look tatty as been outside all its life, and he doesn’t have time / know how to break it.

Edited by oneandtwo

18 hours ago, L19MUD said:

Ebay would be how I would sell it, and then then promote it on Facebook

Agree

With 8000 on the clock the car is still new, easy to sort interior, screen and tyres for the MOT. He is crazy buying a new car when he hardly uses the one he has.

You need to have the MOT / service history to hand to back up the mileage or people won't believe it. MOT is online if he hasn't kept the paperwork. It would sell for sure and get a higher price than a typical one but it's not got a huge following so I wouldn't expect a fortune. I'm of the opinion that a low mileage car has probably done a lot of short trips which isn't great for anything where oil needs to be pumped to and has stood a lot which doesn't seem to do a lot for rubber parts so I don't think it's always a better buy. Factor in a screen (insurance claim with excess to pay or second hand) and 4 tyres and the buyer probably looking at £400 bill straight away plus the risk of what else will it need for the MOT, as if all it needed was a screen and tyres I would wonder why the owner didn't just put them on for the MOT and keep it.  

I would see what is offered with and without as PX (some makes are doing scrappage schemes at the moment I believe) and look at prices on ebay then work out what the best deal is for him in £££. 

If he is buying new I would look on carwow, you say what you want and dealers make offers, you can get some good deals if you don't mind travelling to collect.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

I'm of the opinion that a low mileage car has probably done a lot of short trips which isn't great for anything where oil needs to be pumped to and has stood a lot which doesn't seem to do a lot for rubber parts so I don't think it's always a better buy.

Years back a friend had an Opel Kadet that had belonged to an elderly gentleman who only ever used it do drive to the bottom of the road to buy his paper. For a teenager's first car (bought with his own money) it was pretty good - old, but immaculate inside and out. Mechanically it was in great nick except for one thing - second gear was so worn it was basically unusable...!

My first car belonged to my great uncle who bought it new. When I got it it had 16000 on the clock. I ran it for two years and apart from an initial problem of sludge in the petrol tank I cannot remember anything major. I was luck to inherit it as my first car, a Corsair 2000E.