Charging through towing socket

BogMonster

I am sure I saw a post somewhere about trickle charging vehicles not in use through the towing socket, as a neat solution for easy connect/disconnect.

But unless I am mistaken, there's no way of doing this in a standard 7 pin socket is there? As far as I can see there is nothing on a 7 pin that would be permanently live?

I'm thinking it must have been a 13 pin or other type, but just checking I am not missing anything obvious.

3 hours ago, western said:

12S caravan sockets have a charging pin so tow vehicle can keep a onboard caravan battery charging while driving.

https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/blog/caravan-12s-wiring-diagram/  Pin 2 live 12v with ignition on & Pin 4 permanent live says direct from battery, 

When car and trailers were required to have fog lights and the back the blue wire was used for the fog lights and for caravans there was the intoduction of a second 7 pin plug to take electrics for fridges and other powered accessories. The plugs have now been changed to 13 pin plugs.

On the 7 pin trailer connection, pin 54G (Blue) is "extra / not used"

Many people use that to feed a "live" to the trailer.

However, please note they're not for serious Amps..

We have the electric tipper on a separate lead to charge it's battery while driving.

Ta. I have a repurposed solar panel from an electric fence energiser which keeps my tipper topped up :)

If it needs work to the vehicle electrics then I won't bother, it was an attractive option to charge Defenders in the garage without taking the seat out.

10 hours ago, Snagger said:

In the Falklands? 😳

Er yes...

Latitude is the same as London so daylight hours are the same season for season, I would guess on average there's probably more sunshine hours than the UK - and it certainly has a lot less smog to carve through 😛

My father runs his farmhouse off-grid using a solar power array and it produces about 10% more than the rated maximum output in direct sunshine. I just leave this 30W energiser panel plugged in for a few days (it's weatherproof and regulated so won't boil the battery) and it's charging wherever I park it - which is usually nowhere near mains power.

It is always windy, but actually less annual rainfall than much of the UK I believe. It's also a lot cooler (more like Shetland) because we're sat in a cold ocean current coming up from the Antarctic, whereas the UK has the Gulf Stream. Doesn't bother the battery charger though :lol:

If you don't want to lift the seat to connect a charger, just use the cigarette lighter socket. I wired up an old 12v accessory plug to use with a charger. Depending on the accessory plug type and the power of the charger, you may want to replace the fuse in the 'nose' of the plug with a 'solid' connection.

Regards Diff.

Be careful using a cigarette lighter plug and socket, the connections between the parts is not the best, they can get hot and must not be used for more than 10n amps.

The Germans produce a plug and socket with a far more positive connection but personally I would use Anderson connectors

Peter

• Like 1

Do the brake lights stay on with the key out? Bit of a fudge but you could wedge the brake pedal down and plug the charger into the brake light connection. You'll lose a few amps of the chargers output to the bulbs though. Your brakes might start sticking too 😂

Personally I would just put one of the ctek sockets on the seat box or an Anderson connection so you can jump start too. 

"Arjan -In the UK the blue wire is for the rear fog lights"

image.png.71f67abe990ca46a72e61e710bc8a3be.png

In Dutch, sorry, but this is the "sort of standard" on this side of the Channel..

# 1 (L) = Yellow = Indicator Left

# 2 (54G) = Blue / brown constant live

# 3 (31) = White  = Earth

# 4 (R) = Green = Indicator Right

# 5 (58R) = Brown = Rear lights / side light Right hand side

# 6 (54) = Red = Brakelights

# 7 (68L) = Black = Rear lights / side light Left hand side

Colour can vary but having towed trailers everywhere on 7-pins they always have the same function.

Being on  "the other side" you may have a different wiring....

However, I've towed many UK trailers and never problems..

Care to share some pics of your beautiful, if windy, part of the world ?

Just to add, in Bhellgium there's no permanent live in the 7-pin connector either, as that pin is used for the mandatory rear fog light, just like in UK.

If you don't want to take out the seat (which I can fully understand!) to charge, can't you reach a permanent 12V under the bonnet? Like the alternator or a relay? I use that to connect the charger to the Elan and Excel, as it's easier than getting to the battery in the trunk.

Filip

On 9/14/2019 at 7:32 AM, Romahomepete said:

Be careful using a cigarette lighter plug and socket, the connections between the parts is not the best, they can get hot and must not be used for more than 10n amps.

In my experience they won't take more than about 4A continuous without melting, mind you trickle-charging the battery should be way less than that.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, muddy said:

Put an Anderson socket at the back, very very handy for jump starting and powering tipping trailers or trailer winches etc one of the most useful things you can do to a landcover IMHO

And one on the front as well.