JimAttrill

What do you think of the 'new' Defender?

15 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Yours must have one of the last Hi-Lines then?  Same as mine but I have an earlier 200tdi - also has a galvanised bulkhead and most of the steel items, even the shock turrets.  Lovely spec on the car, you wonder why they didn't make a similar model for the UK??  

Then there are the aluminium to steel contact points, the mud traps in the chassis and the shoddy paint.  The paint was a lack of care, but the other elements were design choices to make the car rot out so you’d have to replace it (or buy expensive parts).  The way LR treated customers since the BL take over in the 70s has been atrocious, regardless of company owner.  It’s only because the original designs have such character that there is any loyalty to the marque, but mine is gone - I have no interest in any model other than the leaf and coil sprung stuff, and I suspect I’m not alone in that.  I don’t see the company as related in any way to the one that built my RRC or my SIII.

• Like 1

Yes mine is a Hi-Line.  Although I have removed the stickers on the sides as I didn't like them much.  They were a bugger to get off!  As cars don't rust up here on the highveld anyway it should last a millenium or two with the galvanised chassis and the alloy body.  It will outlast me anyway as I am coming up to 71 now.     

On 9/11/2019 at 10:16 PM, Naks said:

If LR was so good, how come it had to be rescued by the Germans in the 90s? And then they flogged it to the Yanks when they realised that a turd it was, and they in turn couldn't walk away fast enough.

That's not really accurate. LR was doing OK in the 90s, but suffered from the problems faced by British Leyland/ Rover Group as a whole. BMW never had any interest in Land Rover, they wanted the Mini brand and some 4x4 technology to get their X-range launched. It's no secret they did little good for Land Rover...

Ford got the company straight again. But they made a poor decision when in need of cash for their core business when the crisis hit to sell Land Rover along with Jaguar, Aston Martin and Volvo. All brands that have done better than Ford themselves.

• Like 1

And next of course we will hopefully see the Ineos Grenadier as another Defender-contender - built in Bridgend and (uh uh) BMW powered....... Should be interesting

On 9/16/2019 at 7:39 AM, Escape said:

That's not really accurate. LR was doing OK in the 90s, but suffered from the problems faced by British Leyland/ Rover Group as a whole. BMW never had any interest in Land Rover, they wanted the Mini brand and some 4x4 technology to get their X-range launched. It's no secret they did little good for Land Rover...

Ford got the company straight again. But they made a poor decision when in need of cash for their core business when the crisis hit to sell Land Rover along with Jaguar, Aston Martin and Volvo. All brands that have done better than Ford themselves.

Yes this, and the story of RG in the early 90s (and a little earlier) is that they had a major tie with Honda Motors who owned 10% of Rover Group and RG owned 10% of Honda UK Manufacturing. There had been design collaboration (Triumph Acclaim, Rover 200) and Longbridge made the Honda Concerto, fitting HUM engines to it as well as the 1.6 to the R200 and their own 1.4. Cowley also joined in with the larger Honda engine going in the Rover 800.

The point is that a whole load of learning was underway when, in 1994 the ‘golden share’ that the government had in British Aerospace, owner of the rest of RG, ‘ceased’ and thus RG was allowed to be sold. That’s when BMW bought it.

Things might have turned out differently if Honda has been successful in buying a larger share. They didn’t want to be seen to be taking over the whole company and tried to increase their stake substantially. This didn’t happen as BMW bought the lot and so the sharing by Honda of design, operating methods etc quickly ceased. What this different path might have meant for Land Rover is unknown but it wouldn’t have been bad. 

12 hours ago, joe1 said:

And next of course we will hopefully see the Ineos Grenadier as another Defender-contender - built in Bridgend and (uh uh) BMW powered....... Should be interesting

Won't be the first time a LR was BMW powered.

• Like 1

Indeed, got to be one of the better ones to pick from and still gain Euro6/7/8 or whatever it is now.

You don’t need to spend £40,000

Last week l bought a very nice 2005 TD5 XS SW for £14,500

The chassis is the cleanest l’ve seen on a TD5

lt needed a few bits and pieces (front bumper, drive shafts, rear brakes) which l’ve already done.

lts currently in for the only bodywork it needs, a bit of oxidation on the rear below the windows.

And the rear door has been damaged sometime in the past by someone hitting the spare wheel on something while reversing.

So a new rear door as well.

So a pristine Defender SW with all the XS extras for £16,000