Gmc Diesels

gelf

does anyone run a GMC diesel 6.2 engine?

my 2.5 N/A has finally died and i need a replacement and this is one of my choices.

i know they have a reputation for destroying gear boxes etc but what are thet really like?

and where to get one as Samurai's website seems to have disapeared.

Some of the ambulances we have here run turbocharged V8 6.2 liter engines and those things can go faster than I like to drive even with flashing lights and wailing sirens to warn of my passage. The ambulances are heavier than a standard defender and believe it or not probably have a worse drag coefficency so a defender, gearing permitting, would probably go just as fast if not faster - IMHO NOT a good idea.

I too have heard that GMC do not treat LR gear boxes nicely. A couple of guys in these parts are using the turbocharged diesel Isuzu Trooper engines with fair success.

Adam

I have been running a 6.2 for the last 5 years in a 110. I started off with a LT95 box but took it out after a few months as you could go anywhere in top gear. I am now running a V8 spec R380 for the last 4 1/2 years with no problems whatsoever with it (touch wood). It was a rebuilt Ashcroft unit. Axles are bog standard and I have only broken one front halfshaft trying to climb an impossible hill.

The engine I originally bought from Coastal Engineering but I have also dealt with Samauri and I can safely say I would never again deal with any of them (Coastal is long since defunct, I believe). The way I was treated and the quality of the rebuilds left something to be desired. In the 60,000 miles the engine lasted I replaced one head gasket at 1400 miles, 2 heads at 14000 miles, a couple of sets of heater plugs, about three sets of starter bushes & solenoids, a new starter and the list goes on. This engine finally died at the end of January when three main bearing webs on the block cracked. With a lot of soul searching as to whether I would stay with one or go the TDI route I finally decided to stay with the GM. However I had been following a website in the states about these engines for a few years, over which time I got a feeling for which people to deal with. I elected to go with a company called "The Diesel Depot" in Georgia but ended up waiting over three months to get it built & shipped over. However the wait was worth it as the quality of the rebuild is far superior. Actually I found out in the process that Maddison 4X4 use this company to supply engines for the Ibex's they build so maybe you could give them a call.

I think with the situation you are now in I wouldn't even consider transplanting a GM into it as the amount of re-engineering involved to do the job properly is massive compared to putting in a TDI unit. For example I am running twin snorkels through twin tractor air cleaners. Exhaust is a twin 3" setup with 4 silencers and crossover pipe, all custom made. You then have to think about suspension mods as the unit is a good deal heavier. I assume then you would also have problems with conversion plates, flywheel, engine mounts, ancillary mounts, cooling etc. The list just goes on. Then at the end of all that you have the biggest hurdle of the lot...........................INSURANCE. You mention 6.2 litres and most insurance companies will run a mile.

I think at the end of the day a TDI would be your best bet. Its a land rover engine, its fits easily and it suits the vehicle. If I were starting from basics again like you it is what I would do. I fitted another one because I had all the conversion work done and the insurance sorted out. Oh, and that lovely V8 sound on full load. Fyi MPG in a 110 weighing 2.6t is 20-21 empty and 17-18 when towing. If I can be of any more help just ask, as I had to learn a lot the hard way.

The engine I would really like to try in a 90 is the 3.0 litre TD from a mid to late 90's Toyota Landcruiser Colorado/Prado. Really good motors, quiet, pulls well from low down and plenty of oomph, but still fairly simple. I drove a Hilux Surf with one of those in the other day (wearing a balaclava of course :ph34r: ) and while I hated everything else about the vehicle, it had a fair bit of poke!

The engine I would really like to try in a 90 is the 3.0 litre TD from a mid to late 90's Toyota Landcruiser Colorado/Prado. Really good motors, quiet, pulls well from low down and plenty of oomph, but still fairly simple.

Been there and done that, it was a great engine and had loads of torque. Got the mating plate from milniners, but there was a shed load of other machining and fixing to make it fit. The truck ran out of steam at 55.

I have a 110 with a straight 6 nissan engine in it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had any experience of Japanese engine importers? There are quite a few of these people - they bring them in in bulk, all shrink wrapped, and you buy them as is. The Japanese car market is perculiar in that their MOT system kicks in early and it gets progressively harder each year to pass....hence loads of imported vehicles and engines with typically 40-50,000 miles on the clock [all designed to suport the new car market, by the way]. I also admire the Toyota engines - very durable and designed for hard work!

Neil

Has anyone had any experience of Japanese engine importers? There are quite a few of these people - they bring them in in bulk, all shrink wrapped, and you buy them as is. The Japanese car market is perculiar in that their MOT system kicks in early and it gets progressively harder each year to pass....hence loads of imported vehicles and engines with typically 40-50,000 miles on the clock [all designed to suport the new car market, by the way]. I also admire the Toyota engines - very durable and designed for hard work!

Neil

Mother in laws neighbour, ex trucker (the neighbour that is) bought a japanese import Disco 300. Keen price, RHD and clean as a whistle, lovely car.

IMHO I think Isuzu engines are the hot ticket at the moment.

Rob Hybrid's running one at the moment - you can't stop him talking about it (in fact you can't stop him talking about ANYTHING :D )

If you can afford it, get annother engine with 2.8 litres ;) The International 2.8 TGV is awesome but, if its used hard off road, it will destroy you're drivetrain. I've spent an aweful lot of time and money getting it to run as I want it to. My advice is fit a Tdi, you'll love the preformance increase as it is!