Alternator Alternatives

Mark

On the Disco I currently have the standard (65A) 200TDI Discovery alternator and a twin battery setup with a split charge system. When we were doing some long pulls at the recent KentORC punch challenge I don't feel that the alternator was keeping up with the required amount of charge.

I feel that a Higher output alternator is in order, but am not really sure which way to go. I would ideally like a cheap off the shelf (or scrappy) high output unit of around 100A that is fairly close to bolt on. The Mondeo ones are 90A but I believe are the wrong side? I have seen 300TDI Disco alternators fitted to Defender 200TDIs (Western?) but will these also fit the Disco High mounted position?

I realise the wiring will need to be uprated, but that is not really a problem. Boring out pulleys can also be done, as with swapping poly-vee pulleys for single v-belt pulleys. I believe there is some debate over how much power a standard v-belt will deliver, and whether this is enough for a 100A alternator on full load (ie when winching).

So, Does anyone have an good suggestions for units to try? 300TDI Disco units? Do V8 ones fit? any other alternates?

Cheers

Mark

ive got a Magnetti Margailli (cant spell it) alt thats been rewound from 100amp to 130amp (so the ebay seller said) on my 200disco. all i had to do was swop the pulley to the new alt & connect the wires up. if you (or me) ever make it to the same pub meet your welcome to have a look. i assume its a later disco one, but as i said it came from ebay so im not certain on that.

Problem is Nige, it sits on the wrong side of the engine, so all the mounting lugs are wrong - I need two at the bottom and one at the top when the alternator is mounted on the nearside of the engine...

Your thread got me thinking a while ago though...

Cheers

Mark

Yeah, just read through your thread again, and noticed that I asked Tonk how he mounted it. Some Photos were promised, but never appeared. I think the application of a sharp pointy stick to Mr Tonk may be required... ;)

Mark

my 100amp Marelli alt came from a 300Tdi Disco that also had air con fitted, I just swapped the serp pulley for my 65amp alts V belt pulley & IIRC re-orinetated the rear casing to fit my 200Tdi's mounting bracket, it has a spilt charge system & powers 2 big Odyssey batteriers without any problems.

Problem is Nige, it sits on the wrong side of the engine, so all the mounting lugs are wrong - I need two at the bottom and one at the top when the alternator is mounted on the nearside of the engine...

Your thread got me thinking a while ago though...

Cheers

Mark

Many alternators have three long bolts holding them together. Remove these 3 bolts, rotate the back end of the unit 120degrees, replace the bolts and behold, the alternator is the other hand. ;)

Chris

The Lucas Alternators can be 'rotated' but the Bosch Mondeo Alternator does not have equally spaced bolts, so the casing cannot be converted from 'right hand' to 'left hand' or vice versa. It is possible to use the Mondeo alternator on the 200tdi and other landrover 4 cylinder engines, but you need to fab a 'bridging bracket' to get the belt adjusting point in the right place. You may need a longer belt on some applications too, because the wiring lugs can get very close to the engine. You will also have to drill the earlier 'V' belt alternator pulley to 17mm to fit on the Mondeo alternator shaft.

I was hoping to get my Mondeo alternator conversion done over Christmas, but didn't find the time.

Regards,

Diff

I read somewhere about a Ford Granada one fitting fairly easily. It was supposed to be about 150amps apparently! Dont know if this is true but maybe worth a look!

Not many are 150A, some BMW's etc. are 100A+ and even 140A but the biggest Granada ones were 90A (which is still a fair bit, unless of course you own a leccy winch :ph34r: )

According to my big book of alternators, the big hitters (>120A) are:

Some BMW 320, 325, 520, and 525 (E34/E36)

Citroen Berlingo HDi, C5, C8, Xantia

Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD

Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6

Peugeot 206 HDi, 306 HDi, 307 HDi, 406 HDi, 607, 806 HDi, Boxer HDi, Expert HDi

Renault Master, Trafic

Vauxhall Movano

In each case it's usually the top-spec models that get the big alts, and more TDi's than petrols.

I read somewhere about a Ford Granada one fitting fairly easily. It was supposed to be about 150amps apparently! Dont know if this is true but maybe worth a look!

I've just read this aswell but it's got to be a granada scorpio one as they have all the leccy bits on.

So, Does anyone have an good suggestions for units to try? 300TDI Disco units? Do V8 ones fit? any other alternates?

Cheers

Mark

100a 300Tdi will fit 200Tdi, but will have to mess about with pulleys. 100a V8 WILL NOT fit a 300Tdi and cannot be made to fit. They may however fit 200Tdi but I haven't tried it.