Ironman Foam Cell Shock Absorbers

Don Del

I have a 1999 Defender 110 Station Wagon currentl fitted with Boge shock absorbers which are the readily available "standard" replacement here in Bolivia. I have noticed recently that one of the front shock absorbers is giving up the ghost with seal failure. I have also had this happen to one of the rear shock absorbers in the past. Rather than go out and buy more Boge units I decided to see what other units I could source locally and found an agent for Ironman in La Paz who could offer their foam cell shock absorbers at a price! From what I have been able to find out these seem a reasonable product. My only concern is that the catalogue lists the units be suitable for both the standard suspension set up and for suspension set ups with a 2" lift. Fitting these units to a standard set up must result in extra suspension travel and articulation being present with the possibility of dislocating the rear springs. I would appreciate any suggestions for methods of overcoming this potential problem. I have alrady done a search of the site and came across someone using heavy duty hose clamps to keep the tops of the springs in place, dislocation cones have been mentioned but without much enthusiasm.

Cheers,

Del

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Normally only on the rear at 2" lift without silly flexi front suspension.

I don't intend raising the truck it is just the additional travel in the shocks that has me concerned in a standard suspension set up.

8 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

To be honest, try without, and see how you get on, you may find no need for them depending on your use.

The rear ones look fairly straightforward to fabricate so I think I will go with those as a start point. Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Del

Stick to just rear. The 110 prop is naturally a wide angle and works well on droop. Do fronts later if at all

The Iron Man foam cell shock is an exceptional shock. Far, far better than it's poor cousin, the Britpart Cellular foam

Raw 4x4 are built in Argentina - very good shock and a nice big body, so lots of oil

3 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Stick to just rear. The 110 prop is naturally a wide angle and works well on droop. Do fronts later if at all

The Iron Man foam cell shock is an exceptional shock. Far, far better than it's poor cousin, the Britpart Cellular foam

Raw 4x4 are built in Argentina - very good shock and a nice big body, so lots of oil

Thanks for the input.

Del