Crank timing belt drive pulley - loctite or not?

reb78

Just doing the timing belt on the 200tdi - got the crank drive pulley off, but do you folks loctite these on so that they sit tight on the crank and around the woodruff keys? Looks like I did last time but I cant remember why now! Some people seem to suggest greasing the crank shaft...?

I've never used loctite either on my 19J. Just ensured the threads were clean, new bolt if it looks old or knackered, dab of anti seize compound then torque it up as per the manual after having extra spinach for lunch. 

Now, I always use loctite on the bolt!

This question was really should I apply it to where the gear for the timing belt contacts the crank shaft - especially around the woodruff key to avoid any possible play there?

Sounds like most dont.

.... Now I'm worried about not applying it to the bolt! 

So I've looked it up in the manual. No mention of the stuff for the pre tdi engines (phew!). For 200 tdi I have cut and paste the section from the manual, it recommends applying loctite to the bolt but no mention of it on the damper unit.... 

Screenshot_20190917_210224_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Have you got a crank pulley locking tool Richard? I'm happy to lend you mine if you need. I'll be passing through Herts next week. 

I don't anticipate needing it for a while so it is sitting in my tool chest doing nothing... Along with a long section of scaffold pole for extra leverage ;)

I made one Phil, but thanks for the offer. I could never get on doing this job with the tightening part being done holding it on the gearbox. All the slack in the drivetrain meant i was never sure the bolt was done up tight enough!