Internal light to warn headlights on

neilc

I often travel home from night shifts in the early hrs  and when I get back it is light , on a few occasions I have left my lights on and the battery had died , if I fit a tiny red led to the light switch to indicate it is on  and attach it to the dash am I going to need a fuse ? I'm assuming not ,it will literally be a tiny red led . 

That 3 terminal buzzer only works if the vehicle has door switches, which I doubt the OP's Series vehicle has.

maybe a small led connected between earth & the side/tail light terminal on the lighting switch, but it would be on all the time the lights were on.

10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Or wire it so the buzzer only sounds when ignition is off, and lights are on?

Close to what I’d like to see all’s cars have (including retrofit to old vehicles) - remove the main light switch and have the circuit fed directly from the ignition, so if the ignition is on, the lights are on.  DRLs are a waste of money, and don’t stop people driving with no rear lights at night or in fog.  Volvo’s old system did.

Yes but just reconfiguring the wiring means they can't adorn the front of the car with gaudy faux-jewelry which gives a perceived added value to the piece of tat the GP has just bought.

I would say though, just running dipped beam 100% of the time would be perfectly fine, and something I'd also like to see introduced for old (not vintage) vehicles.

I think modern car light systems are more dangerous than classics.  My 2014 Volvo had DRLs and an automatic lights circuit.  It just causes confusion as it won’t switch the lights on early enough at dusk and doesn’t activate them in fog or sand storms.  Worse, it blocks the manual switch from activating them when you try to turn them on by hand, so you think they’re on but they’re not, and the DRLs just compound that impression.  We keep switching the auto function off, but every time the car goes into the dealer for service, the idiots reactivate it.  As I said, it is a very dangerous system that should never have been installed or approved by authorities.

So a warning light is going to solve the problem?  You are going to remember to look at the light and act on its message.  Is this easier than looking at the front or back of your vehicle to see if the lights are on as you walk away from it?

All Land Rovers have switches for the panel lights.  This is fed from the sidelight circuit - and in S1 and 2's the panel light switch has screw terminals - so the easiest tapping point could be the feed to the panel light switch.  To use it on a S3 would mean using a piggy-back terminal.