Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

Following on from the Topic on the new 'Defender ', this thread is for the collective wisdom (err...) and other stuff all to do with the forthcoming Ineos Grenadier, being assembled in south Wales.

'some say' it will be the true successor to the land rover this forum actually likes...

Couple of articles to kick things off...

https://projektgrenadier.com

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49733291

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/defender/96387/new-2020-ineos-projekt-grenadier-engines-and-specs-announced

If any mod has the time/inclination to copy some of the Grenadier related posts from the other thread, that would be great! :)

Off we go then! :D

I was thinking about that - and thought he needs it to look sufficiently different to avoid copyright - but he also says it will be made with flat panels and will ‘be the spiritual successor to the Defender.’ 

Perhaps somewhere between a Land Rover and a G-Wagon would work. Sufficiently different whilst being sufficiently the same ?

There are folk on the net saying there’s is no market for the Ineos...

...around where I live I see loads of businesses, small and large, who have held onto their last Defender; tree surgeons, ground investigation companies, environment agency, caravan parks, mountain rescue - and the list goes on - they’ve all kept a Defender working, where they would have replaced it if production hadn’t ceased or of there was a similar vehicle available today. They obviously see something in a functional vehicle and would seem a ready made market for a well made and affordable Ineos.

• Like 3

I'd agree it is not huge in the UK, but it is certainly unfulfilled at the moment, there's just too many outdoorsy jobs that any vehicle with carpet in is just not suitable.

Being easily adaptable, and being available in a chassis cab for stuff to be bolted to the back of it will of course be a huge plus.

But if he can make it simple enough for third world nations, there is an export opportunity.  Toyota are getting more expensive and far less reliable than their past.  If Grenadier really take the “spiritual successor” but seriously, maybe he also has an eye on the “export of die” philosophy that made LR.

Indeed, export is certainly an opportunity, could even set up separate assembly plants for different regions if the financials were enticing.

But given his stance on Brexit, I'd guess he kinda likes making things in the UK, which is a good thing.

CKD?  That really would be following the original LR!  I don’t know how profitable that is compared to shipping completed vehicles, and I suspect it’s often to get better import deals from governments by creating local employment,  but in many third world nations, it would save on labour costs.

19 minutes ago, Snagger said:

CKD?

Well essentially that is almost what Sir Jim is proposing here, and to be honest, how most UK based vehicle manufacturing is carried out -lots of component outsourced to the lowest bidder and assembled in a massive plant.

The chassis are to be built in Portugal, the engines delivered from Germany, no doubt with the 8-speed ZF attached, transfer box? Well likely a Beamer or maybe g-wagen item, as the LT230 is just too long in the tooth, and noisy, for today's vehicles (more's the pity).

Not sure about the body, obviously could be made over here, but packaging it up for foreign assembly would be no problem.

It would only be one small step on from current proposals.

NEOS Automotive has confirmed that in parallel, it will be investing in a sub-assembly plant in Estarreja, Portugal.  The facility will produce the Grenadier’s body and chassis, working in conjunction with INEOS’s European supply chain partners

From here: https://www.ineos.com/news/shared-news/ineos-automotives-uncompromising-4x4-to-be-built-in-wales-and-named-grenadier/

If you’re one of those who thinks that the new Defender is far too Chelsea, the Grenadier could be the SUV for you. Or rather it could be, if Ineos was referring to the Grenadier as an SUV.

“We’re dropping the S,” says Mark Tennant, Commercial Director of Ineos Automotive.

“It’s a utility vehicle and our primary focus is to build the brand around the vehicle as a working tool. So in practice we’re targeting small business owners, fleet operators and people who need to tow stuff or carry lots of stuff. It should be for work primarily but also useable for play. It’s the classlessness of the vehicle that appeals.

From: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suvs/ineos-grenadier-will-be-no-nonsense-british-4x4

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Any insight as to corrosion protection on the chassis?

Galvanized? 

Or true defender, a slight whiff of paint as it went past the paint tin?

I'd be hoping that the chassis will be stressed aluminium/composite (if only so it can be engineered to have crumple-zones and so deliver proper 21st-century occupant-protection) - in which case I'd be expecting an etch-primer as the protection.  Sacrifical anodes [Magnesium] might be a sensible option if you're going anywhere near sea-water.

Steel chassis is such an outdated, heavy, inefficient approach: they don't even use them for trains these days!

Steel is, however, simple to repair in the field, adapt and cheap to build, I think it can cope with flexing fairly well.

And in fairness, trains usually run on smoother roads than off road utility vehicles used by the target market.

• Like 2

I've been sent a mailer on the subject.

http://view.grenadier.ineos.com/?qs=4f6ac00b27e80ec03f3f31fd0b47ed8d7fcbb68fbc25ab403a444fb9d6b6e16d2b3dcf10523c673b4c6db443b71d9b6e3ab2f70bd0f9dd0f3666ac14ce25256228b43b660bb9aec0

No clear pictures of the test vehicles, but the video clips look like a mutant Jap pickup.

Looks like the marketing effort has started in a small way. 

Ooh Extreme orange :)

The first pic is a different axle to the second , are they going to have a 7.5t rough terrain truck too ?

Watching with interest , after all this is the first UK made light 4x4 alternative to Land Rover since the Austin Gypsy .  

cheers

Steve b

I don't understand?

No yellow paint, high profile tyres? Knobbly tyres?

Long travel springs?

Is that a live axle? Lap times will be dreadful!

Seriously though, looks interesting.

That track bar, is it a bit low?