Old automatic gearbox off road. Suicide?

o_teunico

With an LT230 in difflock, the handbrake trick should work fine. But I'd be carefull with a viscous centre diff as you don't want rear braking bias on a steep descent! 

Just feathering the foot brake would also give you better control, unless you're well trained in using the handbrake on the move. 😉

Filip

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EeEk said:

Engine braking is overrated.   I regular offroad in non standard class in my rangerover....its been a 3.9 v8 auto and its now a 300tdi auto....I only every use D and R :)  If its steep downhill I brake with the brakes...if it slides a bit then let the brakes off a bit...if it slides a lot...give it throttle :)  

Depends exactly how slippery it is and how tight the terrain is though. And what you are using it for. Lots of CCV guys use auto's these days, but there times were they get caught out by them. But manuals have limitations too.