Perkins 4.236

ltwt1981

I would say that the weight would not be too far off a standard LR unit but I amay be wrong.....so. :rolleyes:

Try Phoning Perkins on 01733583000 and ask for their technical support department or customer support may also help.

Alternatively look on Perkins website (www.Perkins.com) and find a local Perkins agent who may help.

A 4236 is probably as heavy as a complete SWB landrover!

They're big, noisy, heavy, slow, give too much torque for the transmission (and are loads of fun in a Range Rover though!)

Serioulsy though, I had one in a Rangey and a 4203 in a SWB SIIa Landrover and although they are great engines they're not really suitable for a Series from the point of view of weight and speed. The 4203 wrecked my SIIa gearbox so a 4236 would be a no-no. The 4236 in the Rangey stripped teeth off gears in the overdrive and wrecked bearings in the transfer box - although the previous owner was naughty and kept OD engaged all the time, such was the torque from this engine.

4.236 is nearly 400kg! That compares with nearly 250kg for a fully dressed Landrover 4 cylinder.

They are a very slow revving 3.8 litre four cylinder diesel. They are lovely strong reliable engines, BUT not ideal for an everyday landrover. One of the biggest problems is that their rev range is severely limited, with most engines set up for a max of 2900-3000rpm. This means that you need very high gearing to get sensible road speeds.

As Roger pointed out, they have a lot of torque which is good, but it comes in very low in the rev range and tends to knacker transmissions in very short order.

They are also noisy, and in case it wasn't mentioned - heavy! :D

Regards,

Diff

I have never owned one nor would I want to, from what I have seen of them they are noisy, slow, heavy lumps of pig iron that should be fitted to a canal boat and might have made a good conversion back when the peak of Land Rover engineering was the 2.25.

Tin hat and flame proof coat on :ph34r::lol:

Buy a boat and use it as a mooring. It shouldn't drag!

Sorry, Perkins-hater here so I will shut up now :ph34r:

I had one in a 110 Hicap a few years ago. I replaced a 2.25 petrol with it in about 1993, when the 200 Tdi was still relatively new and a lot of money. Broke the first gearbox (LT77) in a matter of days, then started driving sensibly and the 2nd one lasted 40 000 miles. The torque was phenomonal but so was the noise and the weight. I had RR heavy duty +2" rear springs on the front so the caster angle was all wrong too. At the time I thought it was great but I wouldn't want to drive it now. It was very reliable though - once it was started. I had twin tractor batteries, 70mm cable, thermostart and a lucky rabbit foot but I always parked on a hill if I could.

Gus

At the time I thought it was great but I wouldn't want to drive it now. It was very reliable though - once it was started. I had twin tractor batteries, 70mm cable, thermostart and a lucky rabbit foot but I always parked on a hill if I could.

LOL - My sediments exactly!!