Discovery 100a alternator on defender?

I have a series 3 109 fitted with a defender 200tdi engine. I recently purchased what was advertised as a 200tdi defender alternator only the find that the mounting bolt holes to be different places.

It seems to me to be a discovery 200tdi alternator which would be mounted on the injection pump side of engine. I have managed to mount it in the existing position "without tensioner bolt"  but as you might imagine under high load the belt starts to slip. 

Is there any solution other then purchasing another alternator?  I could weld up some funky bracketing and most likely come up with something but I thought I would ask first.

IMG_20190924_162000.jpg

Edited by youngengineer

8 hours ago, youngengineer said:

I have a series 3 109 fitted with a defender 200tdi engine. I recently purchased what was advertised as a 200tdi defender alternator only the find that the mounting bolt holes to be different places.

It seems to me to be a discovery 200tdi alternator which would be mounted on the injection pump side of engine. I have managed to mount it in the existing position "without tensioner bolt"  but as you might imagine under high load the belt starts to slip. 

Is there any solution other then purchasing another alternator?  I could weld up some funky bracketing and most likely come up with something but I thought I would ask first.

IMG_20190924_162000.jpg

Send it back and buy the one you need. I did the exact same thing.

6 hours ago, Maverik said:

you can usually just spin the front or rear part of the housing around to allow it to be the "other hand". I've done it a few times, pretty straight forward.

You need to remove the 3 bolts that hold it all together and spin then bolt back.

Mav

That would be ideal. I read something somewhere about 3 bolt alternators being reversible as you mentioned. 

This is my current setup which seems to have stopped all slippage. Bit ghetto though.

IMG_20190925_143519.jpg

• Like 1