D4 handbrake disaster...

ThreeSheds

I bought my D4 18000 miles ago with a new MoT. Being an auto I virtually never use the parking brake, except a few days ago when checking it over for this MoT which is due in a couple of weeks.

I tried the EPB on a steep hill and it was obviously not working on the rhs.

So tonight I stripped the disc off and found this...

20190926_175424.thumb.jpg.15eeda9ce1c91faa1bb74f7d5a2a4d0d.jpg20190926_175445.thumb.jpg.da90516f0ee38ee0f824741479ec88d2.jpg20190926_175428.thumb.jpg.694c6ae2cb38fa2345db09ca4403096f.jpg

you know... I actually had to laugh when I saw it.

this car was so expensive that I broke my no1 rule - to always get my own MoT as soon as I buy a car.

Learn from my mistake people!

NEVER trust a car salesman...

Wow that is a shocker, .... we have a car salesman in the family and I do trust him but can't afford any of his offerings anyway! 

More worrying in a way  (than the merits or otherwise of the salesman concerned) is that the situation arose on what is a relatively young vehicle, did the lining get frozen, or is it the salt do you think? 

39 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Wow that is a shocker, .... we have a car salesman in the family and I do trust him but can't afford any of his offerings anyway! 

More worrying in a way  (than the merits or otherwise of the salesman concerned) is that the situation arose on what is a relatively young vehicle, did the lining get frozen, or is it the salt do you think? 

When I took the disc/drum off there was no lining inside there, and no scoring of the drum or the shoes either, so I am thinking that at some time in the past, the linings broke up and probably caused a horrible screeching, so somebody looked at it, found the problem, emptied out the bits (which would stop the screeching) and resolved to never use the EPB (since it's an auto that's ok, you can put it in park) I am pretty certain that somebody has emptied out the bits since there was nothing (no even dust) in the drum...

But how it got through the MoT last time i do not know... Unless uneven handbrake is not a fail? No surely it would fail for that...

As far as I know the pass/fail criteria for the handbrake is simply one of braking effort, someone here will know . Either way I don't see how one brake would be enough.

It does seem strange, was it the local 4x4 dealer? We always thought him a bit dear but never heard of anything dodgy and several colleagues at the time used him, mind you that was 20+yrs ago! times change.............

I *think* it would require use of a decelerometer test, not a roller brake tester (as it is 4x4), in which case it will either slow the vehicle enough with one, or the testing centre won't even bother doing the brake test.

If on a roller brake tester they do need to be fairly even across an axle.

With these vehicles if you pull on the handbrake while the vehicle is moving - as on rollers or on the road braking effort is not provided by the handbrake shoes in the rear drums, the emergency brake on these vehicles operates the disk brakes on all four wheels.  As I indicated above the handbrake shoes only hold the vehicle, not stop it.  In theory the handbrake shoes should never wear out as they are not used on a turning brake drum, however they fill with dirt which does wear them.

If there is a emergency handbrake issue when doing an MOT on a rolling road, or via a decelerometer test then the actual disk brakes need to be looked at.

Garry

And so it goes on - after finding that the offside shoes were devoid of friction material, I opened up the nearside drum to find loads of friction material but they have been oiled (or greased) ie The shoes were heavily contaminated, but there was nowhere that the contamination could have come from...

Must have been a right cowboy outfit that 'maintained' that car!

Anyway, the D4 now has nice new shoes and drum/discs, and all I need to do tonight is degrease everything, remount the new disc/drums and pads and do the adjusting and bedding in process...

:)

On 9/27/2019 at 1:32 PM, Bowie69 said:

I *think* it would require use of a decelerometer test, not a roller brake tester (as it is 4x4)

That makes sense...

On 9/28/2019 at 12:50 AM, garrycol said:

With these vehicles if you pull on the handbrake while the vehicle is moving <...> the emergency brake on these vehicles operates the disk brakes on all four wheels

Interesting! I didn't know that. I presume then, that when the EPB is set to whatever mode it is (can't remember) when you bed-in the pads, then that must be changed so that they DO work while rolling.

I find it interesting that use of the EPB whilst rolling uses the same bake system as the normal brakes, so if you suffer some sort of catastrophic brake failure in the normal brakes then you have nothing... not even throwing it into park like you could when you had a physical connection to the gearbox....

I'm not entirely sure that I am a fan of some of the 'progress' that has been made recently in the design of vehicles... I think that I feel more comfortable with the level of technology in the D2 :D :D 

59 minutes ago, ThreeSheds said:

so if you suffer some sort of catastrophic brake failure in the normal brakes then you have nothing...

What sort of catastrophic failure do you envisage - noting that each brake has essentially its own brake circuit.

Head out onto a gravel road and get up to 60kph and pull on the EPB and see what happens - don't forget to hang on 🤣

Edited by garrycol

1 minute ago, garrycol said:

noting that each brake has essentially its own brake circuit.

As it does in the D2, but when a single pipe burst in that, my peddle went to the floor again and again and each time it only slowed the car a bit.... Maybe the D2 ABS was faulty? but it was not showing any faults...