De Ranged shop projects

De Ranged

Bugger lol sorry Lo-Fi I forgot to get some pic's of the press.... next time promise lol 

After blowing an hr and a half I flagged the idea of the super fance hammer form, to do it I'd need to make two 3 dimensional mirrored forms, and due to the mounting pionts.... one up and one down I can't use the bike to build the bucks add in the fact there is alsorts of angles.... it dawned on me I'd be 20hrs into 2 brackets and this isn't really the project that warrents that level lol 

So 

pgBTD1o.jpg

cwyBal3.jpg

Don't know if I'm happy..... its a bit over the top, but it should match up with the rest of what I've got planed, I haven't welded it yet... when I'm certian I'm going with it, I'll grind enough chrome off the fake forks and tig it on

Bonus of this I've also managed to rough out a front guard..... I'm goiing to wire the edge, something I've never done before I know the theroy lol be an interesting challange lol

The wired edge was a bit of a learning curve lol 

Here is a few pics with a few tips to maybe help out..... this is roughing out 

1wGxSNJ.jpg

Notice the lines, this gives me a visual to see when I'm doing a symetrical piece.... the idea is to keep the lines straight and parrel, I know its hard to see but if you look down the left hand line about 3/4 down it bulges out a bit.... I had stretched (roughed out) a bit harder there so I worked the rest to catch up. 

Here I'm shrinking the tucks that formed in the sides and the ends

H0rPWpA.jpg

Remember my comment steel on steel stretches, here I'm using a steel hammer on a wood anvil will shrink, my bench is not the hardest wood so.... it doesn't push the tucks all the way in, leaving me with creases that reform 

This reforming of the tucks can sometimes can sometimes lead to my tucks getting too big and sharp on there folds when you go to shrink them down this can lead to this 

dG159Y4.jpg

I got lucky and the split didn't go deep enough it reach into the guard 

Now for the wire bead rolling lol..... since I hadn't done this before I decided to watch a bit of Utube..... well lol hmmm a couple of things I learned.... sharp corners suck, I need to try this with a soft wire next time, I used high tensile wire that I had in the shed and it was a .... challenge 

E2JGKGS.jpg

After watching a fair bit of Utube I decided to start by tipping a crease on the beadroller, now this didn't work as well as in the Utube vids lol they didn't bend the bends I have in this part so I think in the future if I do corners like this again I'm going to hamer form them.... that crease did work a treat giving me a good line to force the wire into but it didn't tip like in the videos its just too much shrinking so it rippled hard 

The rule for the amount of lip to leave is 2.5 x the dia... now if its straight that works. What I found happening is on the corners, inside corners it has to stretch around the corner so it didn't make it alll the way over the wire (where it narrows to fit inside the forks I have an inside corner, if you look close you'll see the edge of the sheet steel. It had to stretch to get around the corner and this shortened it just enough it couldn't roll all the way around the wire 

The opposite happened up the top, the top left corner rippled bad enough I couldn't shrink the tucks.... I'll smooth it off with a flap disk but this is the underside so I'm not too concerned 

So after all that this is what I've got 

Uo5wKOj.jpg

Now I just need to make some hammer forms to mount this to the forks.... and this is where I match up with the headlight mount 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, I have no patience compaired to the old  man 6yrs to build the wing for his Fox moth minor...... and he was ready to scrap it because when he went to cover it he found a spare that was 3/16th" out...... lol 

Done a bit more on the gaurd for the scooter.... don't know if I'm happy with it might change it a bit 

sP8fByA.jpg

This is just a front section, there will also be a rear section but these will be bolted to the forks..... on this side to the brake hose mount and on the other side to the speedo cable guide 

Looking at it now I'm thinking it would be better with a slight "round" fold at the top of the hammer form and the edge next to the forks at the top needs to curve back towards the forks to "flow" into the guard better 

Been talked into going back to work early so wont be any more shed time for a bit.... 

Edited by De Ranged
bad gramma

• 2 months later...

Yay! I'm out of work lol.... company I work for doesn't have any contracts for a while so I'm finally getting the time off I was supposed to get at christmas 

So I'm starting with a couple of weeks of self impossed issolation in my workshop..... I've got a stockpile of duty free Woodford Researve, time for the fun to begin

• Like 2

Got to be an up-side to the madness.  I'll bet you get a heap done.  I suspect there'll just be a little bit of deskwork for me, giving time to attack the backlog at home.  If I don't go insane first!  Living alone might not be fun for four weeks.

Things are a bit silly over here at the moment, a lot of the buisness's near my workshop are claming they are an exception.... so I'm going to give it a bit of time to settle down before I start heading in..... sort my vegi garden and the house gardens lol I've even got some painting to do for my miss's (and the neighbour who is scared of me lol) I've also started doing some Solidworks tutorials 

But that said I got 2 sheets of alloy and a heap of steel, a fresh bottle of argon and some consumables picked up and dropped off at the workshop yesterday..... so I'd have something to entertain myself with lol

If your bored Deep give me a call lol we can talk about the insanity or insane projects 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, De Ranged said:

Things are a bit silly over here at the moment, a lot of the buisness's near my workshop are claming they are an exception.... so I'm going to give it a bit of time to settle down before I start heading in..... sort my vegi garden and the house gardens lol I've even got some painting to do for my miss's (and the neighbour who is scared of me lol) I've also started doing some Solidworks tutorials 

But that said I got 2 sheets of alloy and a heap of steel, a fresh bottle of argon and some consumables picked up and dropped off at the workshop yesterday..... so I'd have something to entertain myself with lol

If your bored Deep give me a call lol we can talk about the insanity or insane projects 

Ta for that. "Bored" won't be the problem, more what big brother will deem acceptable.  Grabbed the opening yesterday and took the Land Rover into the dunes for a massive beach walk with a good friend and the dogs.  Not another soul in sight!  They say that's going to be a no-no anyway.  Also no hunting (freezers are full of venny but I wouldn't mind a photo of a roaring stag) and no this that and the other.  Huge mac down next door to cut up - will the chainsaws bring the isolation police running?  Strange days but at least it's not just me and you being strange this time...

Awesome you got your supplies in.  Hope you get to use them without hassles.

• 3 weeks later...

Been going down the shop a little bit lol sort of feel guilty that I'm allowed down when its on the news every night that we shouldn't drive etc.... to that piont I went through a check piont the other day to talk to the cops to see..... when I told them it was listed with customs as part of my issolation they didn't really know so let me go lol 

But anyway haven't done much on any shop stuff.... been stuff for around home, things likes of building a tank stand for a 1000L IBC tank and frames for the glass house etc 

But the other day I got back on the scooter 

44wKrRD.jpg

I've also cut the patterns for the rear hammer forms so next time I'm down I should be able to finish off this and spot weld the headlight on 

• Like 1

I'm having a bit of a struggle with the rear sides of the guards lol things just don't come out the way I want hmmmm

This is definitly wrong..... there is no flow from one side to the other 

0GwcFNL.jpg

So I tried matching it and 

ZGHfkZM.jpg

its almost there but its still not right hmmmm still not quite right.....

4 hours ago, landroversforever said:

What if the bottom ends were such that it looks like its one radius that happens to have the fork in the way?

Hmmm didn't think of that..... was thinking of fulling in more on the back of the fork, take a line from the back bottom of the gaurd to the bottom of what I've built now and throw more dimple dies at it so the top row has three holes and the nex row has two then curve into the frame so the bottom two holes are just one deep.... also step the back piece back another 5mm from the fork... this will help it look round on the bottom hmmm maybe tomorrow, I'm home today doing some electrical courses... nothing offical just personal interest courses, I want to improve my knowledge of 3 phase stuff so I can use this for future shop projects 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On a little tangent for a bit..... been working on the document to submit to our custom build authority, for the 40 series cruiser and even tho it is more than they expect I want to work out the center of gravity (this allows me to provide accurate suspension calc's)...... so I need a set of corner scales..... something I've had half designed for a while, so I've spent a bit of time throwing different ideas up in Solidworks (helps to spot problems or improvements) and working it over 

My intent is to take a 0 to 600 (or 0 to 1000) KPa presure gauge and mate it to 1 (or more) short hydraulic cylinders, if I size the cylinders right then the KPa reading will be in Kg's..... nice n simple and alot cheaper than $2000+ for a set of corner scales. I know its not going to be as accurate as the digital scales, but they should be more than accurate enough for assessing corner weights for spring rate calc's, mounting decisions for components for balance and weight change for calculating CoG 

Just thought I'd bounce the idea off you guys since alot of you are smarter than me..... see what you guys think 

Right the size is a bit auckward to work off one piston there is no Hydraulic seals that fit off the cataloges..... so I kept looking at the problem, pressure wize 1000KPa is about 145psi so its not alot of pressure.... next there is going to be next to no displacement of fluid (the compression of hydraulic fluid at this pressure is effectivily nil, the brake hose I'm planing on using to move the gauge out will handle this with negliable expansion, the gauge is a similar miniscule amount) I'm guess-tamating a worst case of a ml or two of fluid movement..... So the spear in the hydraulic cylinder will efectivily not move..... if there is no effective movement then could I use something else to seal it,  I've considered a custom made O ring but I don't know if it would take the pressure around a larger surface area.... but I stumbled accross a bit of information in an SKF cataloge about pressure on Single lip oil seals along with a nice little picture showing the deformation vs pressure.... now here's my thinking an oil seal fails in a pressure situation because the thinner flexable piece of the seal that attatches to the steel body of the seal is stretched down onto the shaft that is moving and gets worn (at 50psi).... My shaft/spear isn't moving so this should remove thie wear issue.... the next issue I see is that the thin flexable section isn't attached to the steel body of the seal with the intent of taking pressure but if I was to match the spear closer to the steel body of the seal then there is less room for deformation given the closest seal is still 1.2mm smaller I figured its worth a shot so I've got some seals ordered..... I'll make the seal body a tolerance fit to the sides with a screw in retainer to hold the seal in place at a ton of weight on the scale there will be 850lb on the body of the seal 

LcxH3Nw.jpg 

The next issue I was looking at is with a single piston I'm 110mm its sort of a small area that you have to ballance a wheel on so I thought if I was to keep the same surface area but split it. it might make the seal issue easier to solve and allow me to create a larger more stable plateform..... 3 pistons calculates out to 2.5" and there happens to be a hydraulic seal to match, 4 pistons is back to using oil seals 

Catch is balancing the multiple pistons..... I'm thinking if I make them 300-400mm apart that will leave enough of a sweet spot in the middle to balance on

When I have made the first one and confirmed the amount of movement in pistion I can set the piston heights on the multiple version so there is a 3-4mm of compression then they bottom out, that way its noticable that 1 (or more) pistons are "closed" and the reading isn't right 

A little update on the wheel scales..... I was searching for some components for a project with the 3D printer (on one of the Chinese manufacturing websites) and got a bit of target marketing lol I got search options for "scales" guessing it has some thing to do with my brousing history.... for a distraction I started surfing it just to see if there were any cheap corner scales and while I didn't find any, I did find generic programable weight displays that have the resister circuit needed to work from single Share Beam load cell and cheap load cells...... now for the frustrating bit..... for less than the materials I've bought so far (and I still need the alloy for the pistons) bugger 

So I'm going to buy a enough bits to make a couple and see how it goes lol buying cheap chinese is a bit of a gamble but the spec sheets (if I've been able to read them correctly, they have been translated correctly, and they are honest lol) I should have a repeatability/accuracy of +/- 0.5kg on a 1 ton scale 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of fun lately..... stumbled across an auction site that was closing down a big new and used machinery sales warehouse, they've only just finished the second round of auctions (still have one more to go....) 
This is some of what I've picked up from the first auction 

9SX9oyW.jpg

A deep throat shrinker stretcher.... I paid pretty much retail for this, they were the only ones in NZ to sell them other than the trendy custom panel shops that have a huge markup lol 

A 500mm Guillotine good for up to 1.5mm sheet, got this for less than half price..... when I've finally got the new shed sorted I'll set it up on the end of a table 

A 240v electric bead roller.... again for half price, its frustrating using a manual one by your self lol, and its grunty, there were minimal details on it but I suspect its capable of rolling 2mm 

Also got a box of random new tools and cutting oil 

Last nights Auction I picked up a 400mm rotary bed for the mill, a set of Bramley bender dies (to replace the cast steel dies from my bender, less deformation) and a heap of lathe and mill bits (chucks, face plates, jigs etc) 

Its frustrating.... I almost considered getting 3 phase for the shed.... a 100ton brake press and tooling $5000, a heavy old chinese lathe 2m bed 80mm bore etc $2700 etc..... I had to keep reminding myself I don't have the space and when I build the new shed I wont have any more space lol

• Like 1

They've got one more auction yet 😀

You guys might get a laugh from this..... in the picture of the beadroller you can just see a hand trolley behind it, I bought this the day before I went to pick up the gear, I only thought about this late in the day so only just made the shop (Supercheap Auto) when I got the trolley back to my workshop I'm looking at it and realised the blade (bit you pick stuff up on) was bent and the handle had a slight bend as well lol 

I'd bought the biggest one they had in the shop came with a sticker rating of 300kg so I figured I might just test it.... so I hooked it under the back wheel of my ute LOL Yea na.... ute didn't move but the blade bent... some more (and that was without stepping back to pull on the handle...... this is going to need some work) 

So I found some repurposed 8x100 and fixed the blade, this is when I discovered the handle is thin wall furniture tube lol so I added some extra support to transition the blade to the handle, then I was looking at the crappy 25x4mm flats that support the axle and didn't like it, so I filled them in as well.... by now its after 11 and I needed to be up at 5 for the drive to Auckland and back to pick up the new toys so I called it done (fingers crossed the handle or the axle don't bend lol) 

Got the new toys back to the shop, a mate gave me a hand to lift the bead roller off the back of the ute (guess its 80-100kg) time to use the trolley...... I'm leavering back on this looking at the axle flex lol but it takes the weight .... and we get it inside..... and it bounced back! 

Its not till later I noticed I'd bent the handle further back lol 

So 

80Q6JUI.jpg

Added some more bracing and tossed the axle n bearings, made some bearings out of the broken bits of plastic from the failed plastic fairlead lol used an old length of shafting I had in the rack for an axle (doesn't rattle and bang as you wheel it round now) 

For reference the original Supercheap Auto version 

SCA_125763_hi-res.jpg?sw=1000&sh=1000&sm

Now its going to sit in the shop taking up space...... then a mate is going to want to borrow it... I'll loan it out and since its now out from under my feet forget about it.... in fact forget who I loaned it too..... still can't remember who I loaned the last one too..... LOL all good I've had fun "pimping" my hand trolley 

Edited by De Ranged
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those side-tracks can be a lot of fun!  I recently bought a similar trolly from Mitre10.  I just wanted wheels to mount on my petrol generator to save my back but a whole trolley was about half the cost of two wheels by themselves.  My "modification" was much simpler than yours.  After an hour of thinking and head-scratching, I just bungied the generator to the trolley - heck, why trash a perfectly serviceable trolley when you don't have to??

Your going to laugh at this..... I posted up pics of the new hand trolley on my FB and the mate that I'd loaned my old trolley to rung me laughing...... turns out he'd returned it a yr ago and I'd used it to move an engine around...... funny thing is it was in my workshop the other side of my english wheel frame with a motor on it and alot of dust lol I really do need to have a clean up and get rid of ALOT of stuff lol 

• Haha 2