De Ranged

De Ranged shop projects

Been a bit distracted.... sorting out the 3D printer and a couple of other things

Got the first of the tool & supply organisers sorted, 4 days of printer... think the longest print was 16hrs 

ewy8Wnf.jpg

Next one is the Waterproof plugs 

• Like 2

Just a wee bit from the crimp connector box.... what prompted this is, have you ever bought a blister pack of crimps think its 20 units..... ever noticed thats too many to fit in the little pockets that come in the kits, also they never have enough pockets to seperate out male and female crimps ..... thats the excuse I'm using instead of OCD lol 

Now back to my OCD and the waterproof plug's...... done 

eYZCJKH.jpg

I've still got the electrical tool kit to do..... a couple of the tools were in my ute back at work (in Australia) before covid, talking with mates over there... my ute has been returned and those tools are most likely lost lol so I've just ordered some replacements so hopefully I'll have all this sorted soon 

Finally starting to get some of my stuff in the post.... so the list of shop projects at the moment 

Chassis Table (all cut ready to start drilling and welding... and a little bit of machining for the adjustable legs)
The Tool Organizers... I'm working on the design for my RivNuts tonight
The dry heated storage container for my printer fillament (need some clips to hold the glass bed for printer and I'm go, the fridge has been prep'ed and the thermal controler sorted)
And Suspension/Corner Weight Scales (got almost all the bits, got to finish the design for the display, started the engineering for the scales)

Oh and doing a shave and smooth on a mates engine bay lol 

Been told theres next to no work due to covid so lol I'll keep busy 

You 3D print these interiors ?

43 minutes ago, Arjan said:

You 3D print these interiors ?

Yep, 4 prints to each tray 
I was going to do them with the vacumn former but thats in my tool box in Australia lol, I've got the printer so why not 

• Like 1

I'd love to do things like that here.....

Not happening though.

.. back to the trains

On 7/22/2020 at 1:18 AM, Arjan said:

I'd love to do things like that here.....

Having a sorted, organized, decluttered workshop has been a dream of mine.... with the new shed (at home) getting closer to happening, and having time off I'm working towards this, my goal is when I move into the shed I try to make the dream lol 
And its very good at teaching me to properly use solidworks, its surprising how much time goes into the SW's model.... but I'm getting better with each one and a little faster 
Modeling things first has also helped tweek my design process.... a case of this is the chassis table, having revisited the file a few times I've noticed a few things I can improve, I've changed the design for the bolt together attactment so that I can adjust it and level the bits as they bolt together.... as simple as adding four M10 bolts as adjusters and changing the mounting bolt holes to 21mm dia something I would have struggled to do after I'd built it 

Here's a couple of models of things I'm working on 

The RivNut organizer 

E3sR0n3.jpg

Thats in the printer now.... the next part is working out how to change the font on SW's and print some handles that are labeled.... so when these are stacked up in the tool stand or the bolt store etc I'll be able to identify them at a glance 

This is the scale part of the Corner Chassis Scales / Suspension Scales 

6jYuCTm.jpg

Heres another where Modeling it has helped me improve, I'm adding a M6 counter sunk cap on the side of the pad... this will attach the "pad" to the scale so I can take the M16 caps out of the center of the pad and replace them with some studs, this then allows me to stack legs to these..... so I can mount these on the chassis table where the suspension loads. That way I'm able to install components into a frame and even out my corner weights as I build..... I can bolt this into where a coil or coilover goes to measure the suspension load for calculating spring rates..... I can even replace the pads with eye bolts and use this in the engine crane to weigh stuff 

I'm currently modeling the housing that will hold the display for the scale (not looking forward to the electric-ery part of this project lol another bit that is stretching my skills and I'm having to learn lol) 

You make it look easy !

I wish I had time to get to your level..

Right now we're focused on building my new office - taking all spare time and energy...

Lol an illusion trust me..... my miss's was laughing about me swearing at the computer... some days I can spend hrs to achieve something simple and still come out wrong lol the organizer above is an example..... I got the first 1/4 printed and did a trail fit of the collets, hmmmm they didn't fit.... so open up the model and discovered that a copy and paste of a sketch had dropped some of its contrants and as I moved things to line up it narrowed the sketch lol 

But next time I do a copy and paste like that I'll know to check lol 

• Like 1

After one 10hr wasted print there we have it the RivNuts sorted 

VRzaMfi.jpg

I'm starting to learn a few things about tuning and conditions..... one of these is, I'm getting a bit of humidity in the plastic (reduced qaulity on the detail bits, stringing, the extruder contines to extrude while the head is hot and if you look at these "tails" you can see little "nodules" on the side of the strand.... and this was on a roll that has only been open about 4 days and printing for most of that time!
I need to get my dry storage finished, I've got all the bits here, got the temperature controller working, got the fridge sorted....

2X5MkSQ.jpg

I just need to print the enclosure for the temp controler and the new fitting for the light.... catch is I want to print these in ABS and I don't have an enclosure yet or some binder clips to hold the glass bed on (been warned the magnetic bed sheet may stop sticking due to heat) 
I think I'll get some clips and give it a go anyway..... I'm using ABS for the higher melting temp, the controller will go into the outside of the door and the light fitting will mount into the foam using tapered double screw... I'm hoping it will mount the bulb as far out of the way as possible and with the tappered screw nice and securerly 

aBi8ApZ.jpg

the bit at the back is just there to sheild the electrical screw connections from any of the insulation and should mate to the sheetmetal outside of the fridge 

Right I had better go..... I need to go finish one mates car (engine bay strip and smooth) so I can make room for rust repair for another mate 

Not much to show I've been a bit distracted with custom pannel work and rust repairs 

Got another organizer done for all my fuses and relays..... changed rolls in the printer, same brand, same colour, but its not the same plastic.... I'd gotten a good handle on the previous couple of rolls by adjusting temps over the recomended (increased bed temp, to stop the corners of the base lifting and 10 degrees more on the extruder head improved layer adhesion without any drop in print qaulity)..... this roll I've gotten corner lifting on every print regardless of what I do (going to fit my glass bed and try with hair spray for the next one I do), I've had to reduce layer width down to a qaulity setting to guaranty layer adhession.... The layer height also helped with stringing 
Due to me being a cheap person I'm not that keen on I'm not going to redo the prints lol its an organizer I only use a few times a year 

I've also finished the engineering on the corner scales

MJ2RKz8.jpg

All made from the "its too good to throw out pile" lol the 10mm top from the offcuts of the chassis table and tube is some offcut exhaust tube and the sqaure covers are holesaw cutouts from speedholes 
I did discover the exhaust tube isn't round.... put them in the lathe to smooth off the welds and discovered there was enough runout I could have cut the wall out.... so I freehanded them on a flap disk 
Now I've got to sort out the design for the display and solder up the wiring and I can test these out 

Edited by De Ranged
just me being me
  • Like 1