De Ranged shop projects

I need some inspiration..... I'm away for work, and to entertian myself in my spare time I've been playing with a design for Nut, Bolt and Small goods storage.... to save space I've come up with a bit of an idea 

Using parts bins (the cheapest I can find in NZ)

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/sca-sca-parts-bin-tray-set-with-rail-8-piece/529292.html?cgid=SCN010510#start=44

I'm going to make a cabinet that is double sided 

f6doLkZ.jpg

The idea is it will be on a frame attatched to the wall and roof of a container... they will be stored end on (green sheet facing out, 2 possibly 3 cabinetts) when I want something I pull it out end first, when I have it out far enough I will be able to spin it on a bearing centered on the top so I can access both sides. That and the main cabinet that will house these are the easy bits lol 
What I've been trying to sort out is the bearing system at the top I was working on a tapered roller bearing (a wheel bearing since I have heaps lol) my suspended weight is going to be worst case 130kg but its not going to be even (one side or one end could be alot heavier or lighter) so I'm wondering if I need to put a second bearing to stabilize....

lol Typing this up and having to think how to discribe this has dropped the "blinders".... ever find your train of thought gets caught on a track and focus's on only that direction.... more to come 

I'd have thought a tapered roller at the bottom makes sense but it could be overkill at the top.  Your structure would have to be very rigid to hold adjustment, while the bottom is self-adjusted via gravity.  Maybe something like a sturdy teflon bush at the top, which only gets a side loading?  Just a rambling thought, sorry - I'm just about to grab a chainsaw and some rope and head up a mate's pine tree to scare myself a bit, so the brain's slightly distracted!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, deep said:

I'd have thought a tapered roller at the bottom makes sense but it could be overkill at the top.  Your structure would have to be very rigid to hold adjustment, while the bottom is self-adjusted via gravity.  Maybe something like a sturdy teflon bush at the top, which only gets a side loading?  Just a rambling thought, sorry - I'm just about to grab a chainsaw and some rope and head up a mate's pine tree to scare myself a bit, so the brain's slightly distracted!

The bottom has several issues... The biggest is the rail system, by having it on roof I can have the rails extend out over the walkway down the middle of the container without effecting my abilty to move down the walkway area, if I have it from below I'm up for something similar to a draw slider system which over time will wear and sag 

Why wont gravity work on the bearing when its hanging on it from above (you are distracted lol) I think for the amount of load and use. Nylon would be plenty and I happen to have a box of nylon bushes lol

No my epiphany wasn't about the design, I've got a nice simple answer for that, that will also adjust height..... it was about where I'm placing this, I was so focused on the design I overlooked the space I need to use it lol 

Hope your tree went all good Deep, if you haven't done it yet I'm happy to loan you my Arb gear (harness, ropes, throwlines etc)

48 minutes ago, De Ranged said:

The bottom has several issues... The biggest is the rail system, by having it on roof I can have the rails extend out over the walkway down the middle of the container without effecting my abilty to move down the walkway area, if I have it from below I'm up for something similar to a draw slider system which over time will wear and sag 

Why wont gravity work on the bearing when its hanging on it from above (you are distracted lol) I think for the amount of load and use. Nylon would be plenty and I happen to have a box of nylon bushes lol

No my epiphany wasn't about the design, I've got a nice simple answer for that, that will also adjust height..... it was about where I'm placing this, I was so focused on the design I overlooked the space I need to use it lol 

Hope your tree went all good Deep, if you haven't done it yet I'm happy to loan you my Arb gear (harness, ropes, throwlines etc)

The tree went well, thanks.  A mature twin pine leaning in a very bad direction over a building site.  It had to swing about 120 degrees to miss everything, so it took some thinking.  We picked a day with a strong, favourable wind and used the Land Rover winch with snatch block to apply a compensatory load.  Then I went up with my own ropes and harness (recent purchase but I did it for work years ago) and trimmed a fair bit of weight off the bad side.  Could have been easier if I hadn't sold my arborist saw last week - the "mid-sized" saw isn't ideal in a tight spot like that!  Slowest part was getting the rope up to start with.  I definitely need a throwline that works better than a bit of galv pipe, ahem.  Anyway, both trunks came down perfectly and I was pretty chuffed.  Quite stiff today though.  Might get some spikes for the next tree...

And sorry, didn't read your other post properly and didn't realise it was a hanging design, duh.

6 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Your workshop ‘side’ projects are bigger than my main projects 😳😮😊

Lol I like to learn and develope so on my stuff I tend to push the limits.... and this is for my new shop witch is sort of a dream come true so i want it to be a bit next level 

6 hours ago, deep said:

Quite stiff today though.  Might get some spikes for the next tree...

I did a job for the neibour a yr ago and it was painfull lol I was slow and struggled and to be honest it was an easy climb..... its amazing how fast you loose that ability

• Like 1

".. I definitely need a throwline that works better than a bit of galv pipe, ahem. .."

I use dummy's we use for working the dogs for that - very effective.

...and I once lost one and the dog found it for me.. 😄

• Haha 1
On 9/15/2020 at 7:58 AM, Anderzander said:

Your workshop ‘side’ projects are bigger than my main projects 😳😮😊

My current project is a strip and re-purpose of an old farm trailer to make it a road trailer (fitting springs, replacing wooden bearers with steel, making sides etc. etc.).  I feel like a kid playing in a sandpit next to any of DeRanged's sidetracks!  I've been in his old workshop and everything is just so well done.  It's amazing.  Actually, I used the big shackles I bought off him on my first visit to help pull that tree over, so we've neatly tied this thread together again!

On 9/16/2020 at 8:29 AM, deep said:

My current project is a strip and re-purpose of an old farm trailer to make it a road trailer (fitting springs, replacing wooden bearers with steel, making sides etc. etc.).  I feel like a kid playing in a sandpit next to any of DeRanged's sidetracks!  I've been in his old workshop and everything is just so well done.  It's amazing.  Actually, I used the big shackles I bought off him on my first visit to help pull that tree over, so we've neatly tied this thread together again!

Thank you for the comment glad you are able to put them to use lol they were just gathering dust with me.... your always welcome back over to share a beer 

Got a rough design sorted for the pivot and carrage etc but need dimensions to finish it off.... will sort that when I'm home 

Was thinking about the storage of things for the new shed, and came up with a redesign of my corner build scales..... so they will fit in a case with there display and cable, yes it is sort of OCD but I grew up in my fathers shed where to find something was a 45min waste of time lol he was all good ask him and he'd know where 3 of them were... I do have a habit of putting things down but I work to the idea if a tool has a place and it goes back its easy to find it next time so.....

I narrowed the scales to fit in cases 

MwSsjiK.jpg

The holes in the sides are for M8 grub screws so I can lock the ends on when I take the counter sunk caps out to fit studs, the studs will fit to extentions