De Ranged shop projects

De Ranged

11 hours ago, De Ranged said:

lol hopefully a long time, I have another bench behind the welding table I use as the junk bench and I've sort of started on the smalls storage.... a whole day of miter cutting angle iron to make the frames to hold the parts bins.... the shed now looks more like a workshop and less like a storage unit lol  
You'll have to come over and have a beer some time 

Been a while.  I don't get over that way very often since Mum moved north but, if I can make it work, I'll take you up on that beer!

• 1 month later...

Got a new toy for the shed..... Work got ripped off a while back I lost a few hand tools and my Mitech single phase plasma.... insurance covered me for a new unit so I hit them up about a bit of an upgrade 

The reviews from local guys were good enough I thought I'd give this a go single phase that was listed at able to sever 20mm..... I was a bit doubtfull but got talked into it lol 

osmgZd8.jpg

This is from the first project I've used it on (10mm that I'm using for a hot plate)

syyzf5x.jpg

I've cut 16mm flat at work with it... without any tuning just guessed the settings and the cut was similar. It has impressed the shop forman enough there has been talk of getting one for work 

• Like 1

First project for the plasma was supposed to be rust repairs on a DKW resto..... but we had a couple of bitter mornings (I hear you guys are having a heat wave lol) so I kinda got distracted solving the cold shop 

A 9kg LPG bottle from the neighbour, the decission to build a black oil furnice.... after looking at scrap and offcuts (I'm too cheap to waist good steel from the rack on my shop projects lol) i started with a heat exchanger... have I mentioned I'm a little random how I do things 

yCsLvNC.jpg

kinda little bit over built..... heavy wall steam pipe, I got given some offcuts from a mate who works at another engineers, Got the enough of the burner together me and mate late fri night after a few beers decided to try it out lol hmmmm after alot of abuse with a MAP tourch and the odd desiel fire we got it going

The next day thinking about what worked and what didn't I noticed that the chimny with the heat exchanger in it and the air/fuel pipe weren't as "true" as I'd welded them..... a little looking showed that the top of the cyclinder had distorted in the heat.... a bit of research (youtube) proved lighting this shouldn't have been the performance it was to light, this appeared to be due to the mass of my pan (made from some 6mm 316)

Dpqwibq.jpg TUZQELh.jpg

Shame there was a bit of work making that one lol.... so made a replacement out of some 1mm sheetmetal 
The pan was shaped like this to spray the flame out to the cyclinder so I should scavange more heat from the flame ...... time to see 

So what I ended up with, a few ribs to hold the heat exchanger, some bracing to the air fuel pipe...... added a hotplate to the top, for lunch and a frame to fit my shop fan so I can force the hot air out into the shop (my shop is 16m x 16m and because of poly panels (chiller panels) that were used to build the shop..... the burner is almost as far from where I'm working as it is possible to get

lTWmuTQ.jpgbagucmY.jpg

nMRPrWE.jpg

So its been tested again.... too much air force from my hairdryer, is blowing the oil off the pan

So cut the air fuel pipe out and put a nozzle on the end to shrink the air flow (drop from 2" pipe to abit over 1" ).... still blowing the oil and flame off the pan 

So drilled half a dozen 11mm holes in the air pipe to reduce air pressure.... better but still pushing the flame out to the edges of the pan and eventually extingishing it

So made another pan that is more pot shaped with vertical walls.... I'm having to increase the flow of oil over the original pan (about twice the original pan) and noticed I'm getting oil spay over the top out into the cylinder, and no longer clean burning.... so add another 40mm to the top, stopped the oil getting blown over the top but more smoke lol this isn't as simple as youtube makes you think 

So been doing a bit more research (youtube and talked to the old man) He made venturi burners for smelting and pottery kilns...... this has got me thinking, maybe I should look at creating a vortex so I can get more air.... part of this is I've noticed that when I have too much air volume and I'm pushing the flame off the pan, I'm getting more blue flame, which should in theory be a cleaner flame 
Also thinking of adding some form of electronic control to the fan so I can vary the air input  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mk 4-ish lol..... got sick of the difficulty to change things and the limitations of the air/fuel pipe.... so 

N7ONWk7.jpg WK7VMnY.jpg

The air now comes in from below..... yes I did miss the fact I mounted it on an angle lol 
The fuel now comes in through the side.... I improved the fuel pipes while I was at it, if I take the bolts out of the end of the pipe I can rod the pipe clean should I get any blockages.... something I didn't like about the original where I had the fuel line in the middle of the air pipe 

This setup lets me adjust or build new designs for the air delivery and pan to play with tuning the burn 

mspDjRR.jpg DymCVy5.jpg

The idea of this is to let the oil pour into the base of the pan inderneath the air currents (stop the air blowing the oil out into the drum and I suspect giving me a smokey burn) once the pan is hot the oil should boil so I'm burning the vapour above the oil, where I'm blowing the air in.... I'm working to the idea a vortex will get a longer burn time and possibly make it hotter which should mean cleaner 

On the pan I've started with a shallow sides (just enough to clear the top of the air vents) and a large dia. The air tube has the vents about an inch above the bottom of the pan 
I suspect I'll need to lower the air delivery closer to the oil so I catch the start of the flame and I'm thinking a smaller pan with taller sides might make a better vortex  

Some of the ideas I've been playing with as well as the adjustments above..... the shape of the sides of the pan, is there a gain to making the top opening smaller or the opposite, do I put a cone on the top of the air tube like a jet engine, possibly with a smaller top to the pan? Changing the air delivery to lots of small 2-5mm holes, stack a defusser plate on the top of the air pipe so I force the flame out to the sides of the tank and potentailly gain more heat from the burn 
At this stage I don't know how much I'll play with it.... (I have alot of projects on the go) my goal is simply to stop the smoke and smell, then get it back to less than 2L of oil an hr. I have plenty of my own oil and access to an unlimited supply of used oil through work, reducing the volume is about the smaller tank I used and while I might have a clear exhaust it does concern me about polution 

At this stage I haven't fire'd her up ( to fit the bigger pan in there I had to make the door hole bigger and I still haven't finished making the door fit lol ) Possibly tomorrow night 

• Like 2

Fired her up tonight lol..... the vortex is where its at

It started easily, half a cup of desiel in the pan light it with the map torch.... turn the air on and turn the oil on, as low a flow as possible... as a flow (no drops)

Got a couple of short video's but can't seem to load even a 3 sec one on to the imgur site..... and unfortunatly pic's just don't show the vortex in fact they don't like the bright light lol 
This thing really burns even on the lowest setting it now glows.... and its dropped my oil useage back to at a guess a liter an hr, with the vortex I've noticed the more air I throw at it the cleaner it burns (once its on song) 

Now for the bad..... my fuel line is now smoking 

KSbaXaa.jpg

and if you look close enough you can see its still smoking.... part of this might be my heat exchanger I am taking that much heat out of the exhaust gas that I can hold my hand for 20-30 sec's before it gets too hot 

2KnCCM7.jpg

And that is while there is a glowing section on the body.... interestingly there isn't any smell to the smoke (there is from the fuel line lol) 

Watching the vortex you can see the flame spiralling up but at the same time flowing out over the top of the pan and out to the body. This area is where the body is glowing and is just above the area where the fuel line goes through into the body.... it is also well below where my shop fan would  be blowing 

So my next move is going to be a taller sides on the pan.... if I'm right I might be able to lift this heat zone and stop the fuel line heating so much and smoking 

Oh and just for a laugh.... I wound her up a bit (about a 2mm wide stream of oil.... I'm guessing about 2L an hr) in 5 min's I had the LPG cylinder glowing lol..... the heat was rather intense, I wasn't game to stick my hand over the chimney at this level ..... the picture just doen't show it, my phone shows it as white and pink lol 

More to come 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 3:37 AM, landroversforever said:

Video might be better as a youtube upload and then link from here? 

Never thought of that lol I'll give it a go 

Had another go at it last night added 25mm to the sides of the pan 

xzFKVbM.jpg Q6AofFI.jpg

I've gotten a new phone (doesn't have a cracked lense lol) I was about to see if I could get some pic's or video of the burn chamber..... when it ran out of oil lol 

The extra on the pan has contained the vortex it now spirals up through the center of the burner. This has stopped the sides of the cylinder glowing at low flow.... anecdotally I don't think I have lost heat output I think the heat exchanger is now disapating more of the heat because the exhaust out the chimney didn't feel any hotter.... I could leave my hand in the flow for a long time lol

The not so good news is the while it has reduced the fuel line smoke it hasn't stopped it

I think what is happening is the oil is vaporising in the little funnel my fuel pipe pours into on the side of the pan and its then allowing some of the smoke back up the fuel pipe (15mm NB pipe) there doesn't appear to be any caking or ash in the fuel pipe so that supports this idea 
I'm thinking if I put a little sloped deflector in the bottom of the Pan just infront of the phunnels outlet into the pan.... if I have it at just the right height the vortex blowing over it will create a low pressure area just inside the pan that will draw the air through the phunnel taking this smoke, another option is trim open the top of the pipe inside the cylinder 

Well that was simple enough, other than 5min's to upload and its only 6 sec's lol I might have to look at video compression or something (I might do more videos)

Another round of mods to try and stop the fuel pipe smoking lol 

With the pan out I noticed the oil isn't being sweep hard in the direction of the vortex (the phunnel pipe is the bottom of the side seam)... you can see it has traveled back against the air flow (to the right of the inlet pipe)

bfW8ikq.jpg

This got me thinking my attempt to create a little bit of vacumn and draw the smoke in... wouldn't work so well because the air vents might be to high, so I cut 10mm out of the bottom of the air tube to lower the vortex vents down in the pan ( the pipe bends are now sitting on the pan's inner ring about 20mm above the base of the pan and the oil ) I then added a sloped cover over the mouth of the inlet pipe 

WSDiVhI.jpg

the top of which is level with the base of the air jet 

So back out to the ally and spark it up..... still lights easily, a few min's in the fuel pipe is smoking again lol so I figured I'd see what happens if I increased the flow from the tinny thin stream so I doubled it and a bit more lol 

WGx8TFK.jpg Ff9nwlG.jpg

The first one is with the flash... you can see the fuel line smoking..... the second is what the phones "night light" camera does to the pic, and is automatic if the flash is turned off kinda cool lol 

One interesting thing I noticed is dropping the air vents has improved how quickly the "settle in period" is (how long it takes to burn clear and stop smoking) before it would take about 10mins to settle in after a big change (starting it or doubling flow) now its around a min

A bit frustrated I started thinking 
Youtube has alot of different ideas and versions so I figered I'd try some of what other people have done, so one of these was a bit of angle iron as a channel to pour the oil into the pan inside the cyclinder, so I figured I'd cut the top off the tube inside the cylinder so any smoke can go into the fire instead of back up the fuel pipe.... nope no change... thats not totally true, in the second pic above you can see a bit more bright flame at the top of the door I found that this allowed some of the oil to vapourise on the open pipe and the vortex swept the flame around to the top of the door.... but as you can see it didn't effect the efficiency of the burn in the pan and didn't change the amount of smoke out the flash back T on the fuel pipe lol

That was it for that night 

I've started modifing it for the next idea lol I'm cutting a recess into the side of the cylinder so the section of fuel pipe that is inside is only the very end bit that goes into the phunnel of the pan the rest of it will have an air gap to the outside air around it.... I know this will be sufficent cooling to stop vapourisation as I've poured a bit of oil on the pipes outside the cylinder to see if they are getting too hot and no smoke 

I could also increase the height of the deflector in the pan..... I don't see this as being something that could have negative results but I don't think it will change  

I am also considering some form of trap at the join where the down pipe goes to the sideways one that goes into the cylinder.... I think I can do this with offsetting the pipes and using bolts as sealing caps so I can still have straight sections that I can rod clean 

• Like 3

Solved the smoking fuel pipe..... but what a performance, building the oil trap fitting I set fire to myself..... I'd decided to gas weld it and I could smell acetylene gas every now and then, got the goggles on over my glasses and felt something a bit warm on my thigh, moved around a bit and it went away figured a little splatter or slag that I hadn't seen when it got warm again in a different spot I thought same again put my hand down to swot it off my leg and it came back with burning rubber stuck to it ... the goggles and glasses came off fast lol the hose was on fire and it had burnt a 50mm hole through my overalls and was working on my trousers 

Then I'm chassing the plug bolts threads by hand.... with the tap all the way in it locked up, so I go to clamp it in the vice and because of my burnt hand I drop it..... lol it landed on the tap and snapped it off flush at the base of the handle with next to no flute to grab 
It neally got launched into the bin at that stage lol there were a few choice words used.... I could only just grab it with the very tip of my needle nose plyers, after 20mins of no joy I'm about to give up and start again when it moved a little bit 

And here it is 

xgYrV8b.jpg

and it works no more smoke 

I've run it for a couple of days now... I've done a bit of fuel usage tests at its lowest down to 1/2 L/hr, while it will run at this the heat output isn't great enough for the size of the shed and to win out against roof vents (that run along the top of the gable in the roof) the flow is as small a continuous flow that the oil will flow at and the gap in the tap is so small it is blocking with sludge 
The best level is about 1.5L/hr the fire is glowing good enough to carry the heat out to about half the shop 

qaUagXe.jpg

Things I've learned....

The shop fan didn't work in behind the stove.... it did push some of the heat out into the shop but you walk infront of it and was blowing hard enough to be cold lol 
The hairdryer fan I'm using is just loud enough to be annoying listening to it all day 
The tank isn't far enough away (getting warm, not too hot to hold tho) and its not big enough 
My door needs some form of seal... its letting smoke out when you first start up or you adjust flow 
The vortex spins the wrong way past where the fuel oil comes into, this is swinging smoke and flame at the door (which doesn't seal properly lol) 
The more air I force into it the faster it heats up enough to burn clear and the more fuel you can add 

So I happened to find someone local who is selling some second hand 240v 150mm dia fans so I got one to test out 

h8YVrAn.jpg

I've got it running through a cheap aliexpress speed controller I happened to have for another project.... about half the noise of the current one and alot more flow, I'm thinking about getting a couple more, run this one in place of the hairdryer fan and put the other two in parralel behind the burner, one either side and hook them up to speed controllers so I can dial the speed to push gently and see if this warms the place a bit better 

i'm also going deal to the other issues 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy with work (an install in a chaff plant lol I'm over dust).... so I haven't had much shed time and less motivation lol 
I have gotten a tablet for the workshop so I can view plans for stuff I've designed at home, and do research while i'm there.... with my fading eyesight and the growing number of cracks and black spots on my phone screen it seem'd like a good way ahead 
But.... my cheap nature got in the way and I ended up with a second hand chrome book..... I have to admit it is alot of tablet, but it is frustrating to use i can't load files to it unless its through google drive, it won't install solidworks viewer so I'm havning to turn all my drawings to PDF's but it works  

Made a we stand for it so its not lying on the metal dust.... its got some serious magnets in it that just find metal dust lol

fBCvmdm.jpg kCk3KGd.jpg

some time in the future, if it lasts I'll draw up and print some form of protective cover, there isn't one out there for these.... the soft silicon one is going to rely more on luck to save it in a fall 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I imagine you've all heard the overly paranoid people talking about how Lithium batteries can explode lol hmmmm

My nice new to me tablet developed a little gap on a seam, between the screen and the back of the case.... at first I just pushed it back together, but after a few days it was apart again

So I figured I'd take a peek in there, I managed to pop a bit more of the case and get a good enough view that I could see the foil cover on the battery was balloned up.... a bit of research later I discovered the only option for a replacement battery was worth more than I paid for the tablet lol (yes I'm regretting buying a google tablet lol)

Oh well if its buggered... its buggered

Time to have a play with the battery and see if they are as dodgy as some people say lol 

So peel the screen off and start to remove the battery from the case, I've got a stainless rule and I'm gently lifting the battery away from the case its stuck too..... when a seam in the middle pops 

xYCaXIY.jpg

This nasty white smoke starts shooting out..... I put the end of the ruller over the hole grabbed the tray and took off outside lol the smoke is really nasty.... Choking on the smell I launched it out onto the concrete
It burned for a couple of min's a 75mm flame jetting out of the hole in the bag, the smell was bad enough my neibour came over to find out what I was up too lol 
When we were chatting I noticed it had burned/melted the end of the stainless rule similar to what a good weld splater would do! You could still smell the acrid smell of it 4hrs later when I went home 

I now have all my rechargable stuff sitting on fire bricks or steel surfaces, if it had been on something that could burn I would have set fire to it...
On a side note had a guy try and sell me another tablet cheap.... its got a slight bulge in it LOL no thanks.... warned him, but I think he thought I was just paranoid lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow!  Not long after I bought my current Apple laptop, an advisory came out about the battery and they fitted a newer type for free.  You do tend to think it is paranoia but Lithium can be very dangerous.  Remember those exploding Samsung phones a few years ago?  Glad you caught it and thanks a lot for sharing that - it's a real world experience we can show people.

Just now, deep said:

Remember those exploding Samsung phones a few years ago?

I remember them well.... Samsung fanboy colleague had one.... when the news came out he came into the workshop to find we'd collected about 30 fire extinguishers and put them around his bench :rofl:. Helps having a friendly colleague in safety group :D 

• Haha 3

Curious if it was fully charged at the time?

I replaced the battery in a MacBook Pro that was no longer holding charge for very long. Out of curiosity I shot the old one with an air rifle several times and the most I got was a tiny puff of smoke.

The battery didn't have much charge at the time.

7 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

Curious if it was fully charged at the time?

I replaced the battery in a MacBook Pro that was no longer holding charge for very long. Out of curiosity I shot the old one with an air rifle several times and the most I got was a tiny puff of smoke.

The battery didn't have much charge at the time.

Now thats interesting.... never thought of that 
From what I remember it was in the 80's% charged, and had been in use on the charger for a couple of hrs playing music off youtube.... it also had a bit of a warm feel to it, can't tell you if that was because the battery was faulty or that was from use 

Been watching your stove project with much interest - one thing though, is it wise to exhaust into the shop? Most of the heaters I have seen at least have a chimney, which gives off a lot of heat,and , if they take air from the shop - better if that comes in from outside too.  Otherwise......, just thinking of the effects of carbon monoxide, and you there maybe on your own on a cold day...

Cwazy is right, in the shop it has a chimny that slips over the top of the heat exchanger.... you can see it in the last pic of the stove... my chimney is some heavy air conditioning ducting I got from the local scrap dealler 

Deep is right my workshop is very drafty..... it has a gabble vent running the length of the top peak of the roof so heating the shed is an exercise in wasted energy .... why I'm putting effort into getting the heat blower to work, getting the heat out into the shop.... before it heads up to the roof and out the vent 

I will finish this and throw up an update soon.... unfortunatly I've been working long hrs and extra days with work and then got an inner ear infection lol I kept falling over!  (while I was sick I've been designing a little side hustle lol when I've finished the designs I'll throw them up here...)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Sorry I've haven't updated things in a while..... I was too cheap too lol. Where I grew up this is refered to as being Scottish (no affence to the Scotts) the early Scottish settlers to New Zealand were a... frugal bunch known for not wasting money lol 

I've needed a new phone for a while now, there is more crack and black blob than veiwable screen lol I finally deciced to spend some money on a new one when the screen on the camera cracked and fell out 
So after a bit of research I decided I didn't need the latest gadget show off toy phone, and I happened to find an outfit selling referb'd S9's at a good price (what my cracked and still current phone is lol) 1st phone arrives (took a month) and it was locked.... sent it back asking for an unlocked one (as advertised) long list of appology emails lol and a month later another phone arrives..... also locked lol so I tired to get it unlocked (not wanting to wait another month).... this ment the company that sent the phone won't replace it, and I discovered that none of the major phone service providers can unlock it, I have to find the company that sold it initally lol or I can spend twice what its worth to get it cracked lol

But on a positive note I have found that while I can't use it as a phone lol I can use it as a camera 

For those interested in the oil fire....

I've gotten one of the new fans on with the speed controller as a background fan (to blow the heat out into the shop), its great just the right amount of air flow and you can't hear it over the the hairdyer fan I've got pushing the fire blower 
 The fire has cracked a weld on the pan inside and is dripping a bit of oil under the pan now (need to make a new pan) this is causing a puff of smoke as this ignites under the pan, you can see it venting out the bottom of my door.... but last time I ran it the roof vent was good enough the smoke in the shop wasn't bad 

But since its pretty much summer here and I have too many other things to finish lol I'll leave this alone till next winter 

• Like 2

A little work play project, I picked up a second hand knurling tool so me and the old machinest (only a couple of yrs older than me lol) we had a play with the tool to see how it worked 
So I made a couple of scribes Stainless body with tungstun tips 

HA7wMgD.jpg

The knurling tool turned out to be a bit of a dud lol its a floating head twin roller, it was real hard to get it "tuned" so both rolls cut.... you need it adjusted to just the right height or one roll or the other will ghost cut (the dia of the stock changes this height too), it didn't like feed in either direction.... the rolls tilt and don't tilt back so the knurl patern ends in a fade out 

We did get some good results but it requred wasting alot of stock to find just that right height where both rolls cut evenly.... so basically a dud thats not worth using, I'm keeping it for the moment i might make it into one of the sissor style tools, as the rolls are still nice and sharp lol I think the past owner gave up on it too 

The scribes were both the same length at the start lol each with a piece of worn out or chipped tungston silver brazed on the end and then ground to a point. The short one the point kept snapping off... I suspect it was due to the coatings and chipped a insert down before brazing it on, it lasted longer but snapped in the end. It sat around for a bit before I noticed these 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000776629832.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.603b1802sz6ggG

2.5mm dia 35mm long tungstun. After a bit of wait I got the chance to try it out, machined a new end with a reciever so it would stick out by 15mm (so it would be great for scribing around the inside of a hole).... notice its not sticking out that far lol I discovered when I brazed it into the handle.... it was a little... phizzy lol and after it cooled down it snapped easily..... I'm guessing its alot less quility than a lathe tip 
But after i ground a point to it held it and hasn't chipped so I machined a bit of the handle back to make it a bit more useable 

A fun little project with a bit of learning 

Edited by De Ranged
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Try the knurling tool on something other than stainless first. I always found (particularly on stainless) that pressure was more important than tool height. 

I tried it initially on these just to see how the floating head would work..... the only style I've used is a single roller style 

When I couldn't get it to work I went and had a word with our machinest..... a meter of 40dia 1045 later, with both of us trying different things, initially I tried pressure as I thought that would force the ghosting roll to cut.... then we tried adjusting it up and down on the quick change tool height to force the floating head to move and align, but after a few goes at this we noticed there was a similar height that it would change which roll would ghost lol then it was a challenge to find the sweet spot where both rolls cut evenly 
I'm not going to mention how long we spent trying to get this to work lol when we should have been working.... that was just the start lol we tried differnt dia's different materials, different pressures (to the point we couldn't tighten the tool post hard enough to stop it turning) lead in angles to try and stop the fad out when we used feed... single pass vs multi pass, how fast you advance the pressure, feed speeds and rotational speed, lubrication  

As for the tool its a non branded version of this 
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/business-farming-industry/industrial/other/listing/3831352739?gclid=Cj0KCQjw--2aBhD5ARIsALiRlwBCF4F5wAox4B4tKHdMZ27vN9R3ne8wrhycBW2mgu47WVpx50r8GLAaArTNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've left it at work as it is workable if your williing to waste some stock to set it up