Getting the timing right

TGV (basically a 300) auto - it runs smoothly as is but is very heavy on fuel (16-20mpg), gets hot on the slightest hill and really feels like it's down on power - which I think points to the timing being retarded? The timing belt was changed in January and the crank lined up by eye with the key vertically so I've been wondering if it's a tooth out. I've since found out there should be a slot that lines up in the flywheel/flexplate, however having found two different holes in there neither seems to be lining up correctly. I've found this photo which seems to show what I've got.

If I line up the smaller hole with the larger of the two holes, the pin doesn't go in as it's misaligned - it's too high/low for it to fit in as it should. If this is aligned so I can see it through the hole, the crank key is at about 1 o'clock

If I line up the longer slot then the pin goes in but the crank key is at 2-3 o'clock and the injection pump and cam pulleys way off where they should be, which doesn't seem right, given that it runs at the moment.

Could it really be that far out, or am I chasing marks that are possibly in the wrong place? If so, how can I check that the crank is in the right position?

Flywheel slots.png

LR Manual.PNG

It will need a fairly long probe to reach the piston. A long thin screwdriver and doing it by feel first will show how close TDC is to 12 o'clock .

So what's it like on the road ? not come across a TGV auto fitment before . What sort of speed does it lock up in 4th ?

cheers

Steve b

I’ll see if I can get an injector out later today then, I think it must be when the crank key is vertical as otherwise I don’t think it would run at all, so it must just be a tooth out.

Disappointing is how I’d describe it at the moment, it’s driveable but can’t hold speed going up hills where I think it should have the torque. Off road it’s fine, but again keeps kicking down to first when I want it to hold a higher gear. TC locks up at 45mph in high.

Richard

Thanks, the first injector came out easily and it's clear that TDC is when the crank key is vertical, so there is no "flywheel" locking slot on my vehicle so it just has to be done by eye on the crank. I've changed the belt again and on a brief drive it felt a little more lively and held speed up a hill better than it had been, so hopefully it's an improvement which I can work on with some other bits I want to check out.

Richard

Sent more info by PM, but an additional timing pin hole was drilled in the flywheel housing for early M&D installations, at least on manual gearbox versions. I presume because the dowel position in the crank is different on the Ford spec engines. (Just below crank centreline, on the opposite side to the starter motor)

Edited by TSD

• 2 months later...

If anyone is having similar problems, a further improvement was found when the tappets were adjusted - they were so loose that I think both valves were open at the same time, so half the power was disappearing out the exhaust and giving high EGT's. These have dropped by 200c on some hills and it goes better than it did, although it still isn't quite what I was hoping for.

Any other suggestions of things to check when performance seems to just drop off? Makes no difference when the air filter is taken off so that's not restricting anything. Hoses all seem tight and boost at the manifold is around 1.1-1.2 bar.

Need to run it around a bit and see whether fuel economy is back into the twenties...

Richard

Don't you mean too tight a clearance ?

Last year I added a Facet electric pump to the fuel supply in line with the mechanical pump for someone with a 300Tdi 90 as an experiment and it seems to have marginally improved performance and economy too , might be worth a go ?

cheers

Steve b