SU Carb

Landrovernuts

Hi All

I have posted in the International as this a carb question and not just series related - moderators please move if needed.

In my new found enthusiasm for getting my Series 1 back up and running, I was rummaging through my spares and found an SU carb that was previously attached to another Series 1 I have owned in the past. The engine never ran right because it was simply worn out with no compression and used more oil than petrol, but it did have an SU on it that I kept. Now because I have a better liking for SU carbs over the Solex that were originally fitted with I am thinking it may be an interesting little project to put on my present Series 1 which has a 1997 spreadbore engine  that was completely rebuilt 22,000 miles ago.

The question is what did this carb come from? I thought it may have been from a P4 engine but they are side draught. From the way the fuel bowl is mounted it looks like it was originally a downdraught carb but the way of adding oil to the dashpot does not look very original!! The carb is an 1 1/4 inch bore. The carb is all free and despite its present looks is actually not in bad condition. I would still like to give it a strip down and clean up (new needle valve, spindle bushes, seals etc) but what does it come from - may well make getting bits easier? I may have to send Burnlen the pictures but thought I would ask here first.

Toby

It must be pretty old; I started playing with things that might have SUs in the 60s (and some of those things were old) but they all had the plastic damper screw. 1 1/4" is pretty small, they were fitted to things like ordinary Minis , A35s and 1100s - I think it might be on the small side for a Series. On some at least the float bowls swivelled - you set them to be level, whereas the venturi part could be semi-downdraught, ie sloping towards the engine. 

I was surprised how old it was and the size was a concern but it is the same size as the Solex that is on there at the moment. Not sure how the CFM compares though. The float chamber is fixed on this and definitely is a downdraught. I have had the previous engine running with it but that had other issues that were not going to be fixed in a hurry!

It is only food for thought at the minute as the Land Rover has other issues from being laid up since 1992. 

Toby

On 9/30/2019 at 5:50 PM, Bowie69 said:

Yeah, back in the 60s :)

Even the 2.0 would need at least the 1.5".

Yep, MGBs at 1800cc used twin 1.5inch  and 4 litre Jags twin 1.75inch so demonstrates the flexible fitment range 

On 9/29/2019 at 5:50 PM, Landrovernuts said:

.......I was rummaging through my spares and found an SU carb that was previously attached to another Series 1 I have owned in the past. The engine never ran right...........

.....The achilles heel of these carbs was always throttle spindle wear which would give lousy (erratic) idle - the engine would suck air through the sloppy fit wear the spindle runs in the carb body and would need new fiddly brass bushes inserting in the body to get a decent idle.  If you've not checked already you may just want to check for sloppy fit before deciding to forge ahead - with this or any other SU carb for that matter ....

Thanks all for the replies and offers. At the moment not doing anything as I am back in South Africa working. I still need to get the engine running right on the existing Solex before I start doing any playing around and this will have to wait until I have fixed a CV on my 110 first!! 

One thing i have found out is that this SU is actually bigger than then the original Solex. The SU is rated for 110 CFM but as yet have not found out what the CFM for the Solex is. As for the spindle bushes, they feel fine but I would strip down first and check it all before i fitted it. 

Toby