:stirthepot:

Right mad hat on. I may have just (yesterday evening) been offered a cherry picker (either free of charge or in exchange for helping with some electronic issues :SVAgoaway:). It is currently sat on a Defender / Range Rover / Series / Mazda hybrid (Defender gear train, RR chassis, Series body and Mazda power plant).

As the bushes etc are worn its not worth the hassle of redoing it when there's another bigger cherry picker waiting to go on a bigger truck. So it's of no use to my mate but will be very handy around my new house (reaching first floor windows for example because a double ladder struggles, and there's another floor above that...).

Now as the base vehicle is Ag / Forestry registered that's staying and being converted to a tipper. But I can take the vehicle back home to Wales, figure out plumbing etc and remove the cherry picker. It's pretty self contained (built in oil tank etc apart from the pump itself) and will just unbolt from the chassis and almost lift itself off with the feet.

So onto the mad phase of the project, you may also remember I was offered a Sandringham 6x6 which is a perfect vehicle for this but its likely to be months if not years before the probate on that is sorted out. So muggins here realises he has a P38 with a 4.6 V8 which is not roadworthy anymore. I think you can see where this is going... :ph34r:

So thoughts are, strip down the P38 to a pickup / flatbed setup (probably reuse or sell on some bits - with any luck I can actually recover a chunk of the £800 I spent on it but that's secondary) and drop on the cherry picker. Simples. Yes it would be simpler to get a pickup / flat bed to do this but where's the fun in that?! The P38 is effectively free in my eyes so why shouldn't I, there's no need for this to be road legal although there might be an option to Ag register it at my parents farm if we wanted to use it at the two places since they're only 4 miles apart.

Immediate problem I see is driving the pump since as far as I know theres no easy way to get a PTO off the Borg Warner transfer case. I think the quickest solution would be a seperate small engine to drive the pump, if it's diesel then at least it can be run on red from the farm. Or I could put some form of splitter in the drive train at a later date. Unless anyone here has some bright ideas on running a decent size hydraulic pump off the P38 drive train.

There does happen to be another scrap car with a 1l engine at my place so perhaps... But that's a dinky petrol so who knows.

For the purposes of this project it shall be kept as cheap and cheerful as possible but my time is of course free.

Anyway picture of the cherry picker

_20191003_163437.thumb.JPG.77825a99bd6f6a6f22d250673644f3d3.JPG

And why it's going to be useful, even for cleaning windows

DSC_0046_1.thumb.JPG.209be94eefca21f2d4362c89647f464c.JPG

@V8 Freak it means I might even be able to finish trimming the main drive to save your shiny panels :P

1) no reason it can't be road legal on the P38 chassis, you are just changing the body.

2) You can run some larger hydraulic pumps from the front of the crank

Other than that, love the idea ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

1) no reason it can't be road legal on the P38 chassis, you are just changing the body.

Too much effort I suspect. Let's say it had a friendly MOT when I bought it so I'm not going to go out of my way to get it road legal again. The fuel tank is currently held up by a ratchet strap :ph34r:. It was a quick purchase to use as a runaround after I snapped the 2nd crank on the Defender.

Although one the body has been cut in half it'll be easier to examine the state of things :hysterical:. Probably do minimal changes so that I feel so inclined it could be registered.

Forgot about front driven off the crank, might look into that. Can ditch the air con radiators etc - hmm could be reused on the Defender :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

@V8 Freak it means I might even be able to finish trimming the main drive to save your shiny panels :P

Shiny!!!! 

Slightly less shiny after some of those wonderful lanes near you 😂

Love cherrypickers...

image.png.b7280e9796b48a2230ea76d78d6d2153.png

Belt driven hydraulic pump in the A/C position is an option - this is obviously PTO driven.

Did you mention "Mazda engine".......... 😎

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

Did you mention "Mazda engine".......... 😎

I'm pretty sure it's got a 3l Mazda lump in it.

" 3l Mazda lump "...........

Sniff

What are the plans with that ?

If you mean the Land Rover / Range Rover / Series hybrid then I think his intention is to put a hydraulic ram in the bed (since it's already got the hydraulics) and then put a tipping bed onto it. But probably using shipping twist-lock thingies so that it can have bodies changed over easily. He's done this on a DAF truck which has a HIAB on the back and it has a number of different bodies that it can lift on itself to use for different purposes. E.g. water bowser, tree "finger" trailer thingy, flatbed, wood chipper body, generator set etc.

It was just ran off the serpentine belt. Not a huge pump, but enough for a non-competition winch.

I think a bigger pump driven off the crank would be a better idea for this application, unless you want a *really* slow crane.

Well I think it'll be a race as to who finishes first. Probate on the Sandringham or Bob on the cherry picker.

That man has everything, ideally it would be demountable off the Sandringham and to achieve that one needs an LT95 PTO adapter which are rare. Turns out Bob thinks he has one in one of his many containers :D. Finding it will be the challenge!

Other things will take priority first but I need to have a decent look at the P38 to assess whether it's worth keeping it as a tidy runaround. All depends on what order things happen in really. There's:

• Converting stables into machine shop (downstairs) / electronics lab (upstairs).
  • Garden shed / storage / pit (freebie shed that's 12ft wide and maybe 36ft long) but will have blockwork to raise it high enough for 110 and slab and pit probably.
  • Double car garage to build, might make this one tall enough for a lift to go in...
  • Freeing up current dumping ground in blacksmiths forge area for dirty (welding and grinding) workshop.

Many plans!

does your mate still have that 6x6 iveco with the winch under the back? I saw some pics on arb talk a few years ago and it looked very cool!

I think the P38 will be too sort in the wheelbase but that's nothing a few bits of box and a welder can't sort, just buy a prop and extend to suit. Think about how you are going to do the cab many hours can be lost or gained here...

Personally unless offroadyness is required I would buy an old transit and whack it on that or a 12ft ifor and bolt it to that and or make it demount, flow fit do Honda engine/pump packages that are cheap and make life very simple.

Will.

The one with a big HIAB on it? Looks like a supersized unimog winch drum about 18" diameter if I remember correctly?

Yup along with many other awesome bits of kit. Would be good if he and I find the time to finish the 101 he forgot he had. Mobile work truck, mahoosive PTO air compressor, auxiliary hydraulic pump with generator attached if required, mahoosiv welder / generator set as well all PTO driven. Meant to be giving him a hand with a dashboard / engine governor to regulate engine speed based off which implement is chosen.

From memory mouse had a hydraulic pump driven via a prop on the crank pulley (it might of been petal).

Mike

34 minutes ago, muddy said:

does your mate still have that 6x6 iveco with the winch under the back? I saw some pics on arb talk a few years ago and it looked very cool

This one: https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/60782-project-6x6/page/3/#comments, don't think it's progressed much from there.

Regarding the comment about offroadyness yes it would be highly preferable. My folks are 4 miles down the road on a farm so having the cherry picker available there might be handy. Bonus is we can probably ag register it if required.

Even where I am around the garden (4 acres with lots of slopes) a 4x4 would be handy but possibly not required.

One consideration might be to simply use a Honda generator and build a trailer / chassis for it so we can simply tow it around.

2 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

This one: https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/60782-project-6x6/page/3/#comments, don't think it's progressed much from there.

Regarding the comment about offroadyness yes it would be highly preferable. My folks are 4 miles down the road on a farm so having the cherry picker available there might be handy. Bonus is we can probably ag register it if required.

Even where I am around the garden (4 acres with lots of slopes) a 4x4 would be handy but possibly not required.

One consideration might be to simply use a Honda generator and build a trailer / chassis for it so we can simply tow it around.

I was about to suggest building it onto a trailer. Whilst I think the P38 would be cool, and that’s as good a reason as any, it’s going to be a lot of work making the cab look right. 

yes that's the one, dribble dribble.

Transit with welded diff and ag tyres? P38 may take D2 axles and allow an LT230 but we are getting into major effort for something that's agricultural by conception.

Will.

I think the P38 is highly dependent on what condition the chassis / general condition of it is in. If it's not roadworthy then I'd probably just break it for parts at which point I might as well take the plasma cutter to it :SVAgoaway:.

Lower bumpers are trash as are most corners so remove body work and shove some stupid tyres on it. In fact I just remembered snapping the rear tailgate when we put some ladders on it to remove the current 300Tdi for the 110. Fuel tank is held in place with a ratchet strap too :blink:.

Maybe if the weather clears up tomorrow I'll take a more appraising look at it. Mind you I'll have to stop playing with the new toy tool.

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.549ae9c3bcbbd5cc482f577a511761a5.JPG

• Like 1

If you get bored of the 4.6 I might be in the market for one down the line :ph34r:

I need that new toy tool of yours... 😭😭

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If you get bored of the 4.6 I might be in the market for one down the line :ph34r:

Make me an offer and it could be yours, maybe @Escape and @elbekko are interested in the rest of the bits for spares :ph34r:. I'm not that fussed on keeping the P38 in one piece it was a cheap runaround after I snapped crankshaft number 2. There was a consideration into fitting it into the 110 but then a block came up for sale here and I built up another 300Tdi, this one goes well after having been tweaked a little by the previous owner. Although I'm experienced in electronics a big part of me likes the mechanical simplicity of the 300Tdi and keeping it original, well at least that part of the vehicle:hysterical:.

2 hours ago, Arjan said:

I need that new toy tool of yours... 😭😭

For £20k I'll deliver it to your door :lol:

😄😄

On 10/16/2019 at 2:28 PM, Ed Poore said:

Make me an offer and it could be yours, maybe @Escape and @elbekko are interested in the rest of the bits for spares :ph34r:

We've got plenty taking up space, now if it had a Thor engine in it we might be interested if the price is right...

Alas I think it is a GEMS engine if I remember correctly (P reg so a 1996).

What's the definitive way of telling? Although I'm up in the Highlands at the moment so won't be able to check until late next week.

Bunch of bananes on top (Bosch) or a rectangular block (GEMS).