Whistling.

Simon_CSK

1 hour ago, JohnnoK said:

You may have a leaking turbo hose to or from the intercooler. The hoses sometimes get pinhole leaks or the clamps aren't tightened properly.

Just replaced a leaking hose.

That was my first thought.

Prime suspect would be turbo noise, sounds a bit silly but stick your head out of the open window while driving (better still while someone else is), you won't mistake it if it is the turbo. And assuming it is then the first thing to check will be the manifold. If it is the manifold then there is quite a bit on here and elsewhere about why they warp and removing webs etc. not to mention changing the studs for something better. I prepped a secondhand one ready to fit prior to stripping mine down, unless you have a mill or a shop close by it saves time.

• 2 weeks later...

Saying it stops after traversing a watersplash makes me think you should check your serpent.

I've seen a few instances [generally presenting with alternator-charge issues in applications where there's a twin-battery setup and some serious electrical loads] where the serpent's drive-surface has become polished and - more importantly - the little grooves in the pulleys have become fillled with belt-wear debris/rust/mud so the little peaks on the belt can't settle all the way down into the grooves - meaning grip is compromised and you get poor charge/nasty-noises.

A good indication of this is a brief 'twitter' noise when you turn the engine off.

Answer: fit a new serpent [Gates/Dayco being the brands to go for] and vigorously wire-brush the pulleys to remove any clag from the grooves.

On 10/20/2019 at 12:37 PM, Blanco said:

Also check the tensioner idler, mine seized solid while driving and threw the belt off, its a sealed bearing that has a limited lifespan, usually more screech than whistle though?

That sounds about right