Refitting front dampers with engine and tranny removed

I've started to rebuild my CSW and am currently attempting to fit the front springs and dampers to a bare chassis.  I seem unable to compress the spring enough, even with coil spring compressors, to get sufficient of the damper top thread through the top of the conical bracket.  I'm suspecting that I need the added weight of the engine and transmission on the chassis to compress both front springs sufficiently for me to get the damper top mounting rubber bush fitted.  I only have one set of coil spring compressors so I cannot compress the other front spring simultaneously.

I'm not yet ready to refit the engine, and I don't really want to change my programme, but if I have not screwed up, then I may have to.  Any confirmation, one way or the other, or hints on how I should proceed will be very much appreciated.  Many thanks in advance.

Mike

I always chuckle when our brothers from the N. American part of the world use the word 'tranny' 😉

Sorry Mike, I know in North America it's the shortened form of transmission but here it's the shortened form of transvestite !

Not really being very technical, am I

Mo

Mo,

Please accept my humblest apologies.  I didn't realise that I was becoming so North Americanised!  I'm a Brit, and have been here only ten years.  This is very serious. I must obviously mind my Ps and Qs and ensure not to offend sensitive souls, like yourself, with the local abbreviations and spellings, which I do try to avoid.  I promise to attempt to do better in future.

Have a good day!

Mike

• Haha 2

OK, guys, my fault entirely.  😡  I had not appreciated that the two dished metal washers, above and below the rubber/poly bush, had slightly different diameter holes for the top shaft of the damper to pass through.  Of course, I had them the wrong way around, with the washer with the smaller hole below the top bush.  This prevented the damper shaft extending sufficiently to accept the bush, the upper washer and then the nut.  Getting the washers the correct way around solved the problem.  Both dampers are now correctly installed.

Many thanks to all who have provided thoughts or advise, and also to those who had puzzled, but to no avail.

Mike