LiamC

Engine Conversion - BMW M57 into a 90

I think that Syncro Gearboxes is/are Shabs Piercy and if so, that's the guy - although I might be corrected. On the FB group you will definitely get an answer on that specific question.

I only know what I have read in the FB BMW group. In there he frequently crops up or is mentioned as the source of the adapters. Also Syncro produce the Slickshift gearstick product which I believe is a widely used product.

In much the same way, Marcus Williams handles the loom and ECU challenges. As I say though, it's only what I have read.

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying, when you said "the guy" I thought you meant it in a bad way. There are three sources for the specific adaptor that i need, one of which I have chosen to avoid as he has a bad rep with the Cummins crowd, the other two remaining options being Shabs at Syncro or Nick Finlay. I'm just making sure I do my research and listen to all sides before making my decision and handing over the cash.

• Like 1

It was written in notveryeasytoseeitalics, sounds like theeee guy. If I were a little younger maybe I would have written “he’s da man, innit”!

A small update. I spent an evening this week disassembling my spare LT230 transfer box. I plan to order Ashcroft's new special 1.1:1 gearset. I have checked over all the components and as far as I can tell everything seems to be in good order. However I have never opened up one of these boxes before so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm told that this box has covered 97k miles in a disco 1. The oil did look like it was overdue for a change but all of the bearings seem fine so I was planning to reuse them? I will change the seals though as they are relatively cheap.

If anyone has any advice on what to check while I have it apart or and tips for reassembly then please let me know. I don't have the handbrake mechanism from the disco box so I believe I will have to tap some holes in order to mount the old style defender mechanism?

I have also just discovered that I will have to switch to the 26 tooth input gear in order to use the new Ashcroft gearset, so that's another £78 to add to the ever building unplanned expense!

20191223_173657.jpg

Make sure you lose one of the little detent balls under the workbench while re-assembling, it's traditional :D

I wouldn't mess with the bearings if you don't have to.

• Like 1