Engine Conversion - BMW M57 into a 90

I have been giving a lot of thought to the cooling system. It turns out that the BMW radiator and intercooler from the doner car look like they would be a good fit to the land rover. I had considered getting a TD5 rad pack but as I already have the BMW pack which is matched to the engine it seems sensible to use them. I will experiment at the weekend. 

Mounts for the engine are also ready to install at the weekend. I'm using the BMW rubbers which have a vacuum feed that connects to a solenoid controlled by the ECU, which adjusts the stiffness of the mounts at different engine speeds. 

IMG_2014.JPG

• Like 1

It feels like a significant milestone getting it fired up. Still plenty to do though before I can take it for a drive. I'm currently waiting on various parts at the moment as orders/deliveries are not as consistent as usual at this time, for obvious reasons.

13 hours ago, Peaklander said:

What came next after " We've got oil..."?

Ha, nothing exciting, all I said was "We got oil pressure as soon as I turned the key."

• 2 months later...

7 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Which adapter did you go with in the end?

Very few options for that box, I used the "Syncro Gearbox's" adapter in the end.

I haven't done very well at keeping this thread up to date. I now have the Land Rover running on the road, the 6 cylinders make it so smooth! I will post a video when I get a chance. I still have a lot of bits and pieces to finish and a couple of niggles to sort out. It drives now but it's definitely not finished.

1 hour ago, LiamC said:

Very few options for that box, I used the "Syncro Gearbox's" adapter in the end.

I haven't done very well at keeping this thread up to date. I now have the Land Rover running on the road, the 6 cylinders make it so smooth! I will post a video when I get a chance. I still have a lot of bits and pieces to finish and a couple of niggles to sort out. It drives now but it's definitely not finished.

Thanks.

I'd be really interested in what bits you used and what problems you had to solve. A friend who I don't see very often has just fitted one of these to his 90. R380 presently I beleive, but plans to fit an auto. As my Tdi ages I have to admit to seeing the appeal of this swap.

As engine conversions go this one is fairly straight forward. It's surprising how the costs add up though.....Doner car, 6 speed gearbox, adapter plate & shaft, new gearset for the LT230, clutch, flywheel then there's all the little bits......hose joiners/clamps, electrical bits & bobs, exhaust etc. The spreadsheet is over £3k so far. 

I did a lot of research before hand so I had a pretty good idea what was involved. The most frustrating bit was the exhaust and I'm still not happy with it. I'm using a TD5 center silencer and it's huge and protrudes below the chassis rails in a vulnerable position. I'm using the standard chassis points so I don't know if this is normal on TD5's?

Where are you based? Milton Keynes? You'd be welcome to come down to Oxford and take a look some time if you want to get some ideas.

• Like 1

Yes I used the BMW 6 speed manual from an E46 330d. Lots of people use the R380 with great success but as I didn't have a suitable R380 box to hand (mine was an LT77) I thought I might as well upgrade. It does add cost because the ratios are lower and the transfer box gears need to be changed to match but I'm really pleased with the way the ratios have turned out. Because the low range transfer gears remain the same I now have a super low range low box. Low 1st is like a crawler gear so I think I will have a better selection of low gears to use off road, can't wait to give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Liam, first of all what to thank you for the thread and especially for transmission pictures!

Now I do research about conversion with exactly the same setup — M57+GS6-53DZ+SyncroGearboxesAdapter+LT230 and your posts were very usefull!

Can I ask you to measure clearance between bulkhead and engine with this combination? And mb couple of photos from engine bay (from top and front passenger side).

Have 110 LHD. 

Thanx again! Hope you enjoy your Landy!)

Edited by fourwzzy

Hi, just had a quick measure, it's hard to measure accurately but it's a good 100mm between the back of the engine and the bulkhead. I think you will have problems on a LHD with the alternator hitting the steering box. I have heard of people using a P38 steering box on the outside of the chassis rail to resolve this issue. I had to remove the air con pump on mine to make it fit the RHD. You could of course relocate the alternator to the air con pump position which should be fairly straight forward. Here are some pictures, excuse the wiring in the electrical box, it's still in testing/experimental phase.

20200721_170045.jpg

20200721_170220.jpg

20200721_170353.jpg

20200721_170418.jpg

20200721_170638.jpg

• Like 2

I'm still not happy with the exhaust. I'm using a TD5 center box from Bearmach and it's huge. It actually works really well and seems like a quality unit. The exhaust is lovely and quiet but it sits very low, below the chassis rail. Is there anyone with a TD5 90 that could post a picture of their center box so I can see how it sits? Here's how mine currently looks and I think it's just asking for trouble off road.

20200721_165847.jpg

20200721_165912.jpg

• Like 1

Liam, thank you for photos! Engine sits just nicely! Right in place!

Found this roll over video. On 1:05 clearly seen mounting points. Mb it helps. 

Btw how do you find gear shifting with SyncroGearboxes adapter and kit?

Edited by fourwzzy

23 hours ago, fourwzzy said:

Btw how do you find gear shifting with SyncroGearboxes adapter and kit?

The shift kit is overpriced, I should have just bought the adapter and made my own shift linkage, it's not too difficult but all these things take time to do. Also the shift kit was not compatible with my existing diff lock selector so we had to fabricate that part of it any way. Also the mounting bracket for the land rover selector top was slightly out so I had to pack it out with washers. The actual shift linkage part in the shift kit does actually work work very well though, all gears select nicely and the positions feel good. I did back off the spring stops on the land rover selector housing as reverse was a bit heavy to engage at first. I have got an annoying/concerning rattle coming from the transmission area at the moment which I haven't managed to diagnose. I'm going to remove the transmission tunnel at the weekend to see if I can try to locate the source. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 4:26 PM, LiamC said:

I'm still considering my options gearbox wise, but the current plan is to source a GS6-53DZ 6 speed ZF manual from an E46. It's a very strong box and the E46 version will bolt straight up to my 184 M57. The tricky bit is mating it to the transfer box, there are close couple adaptors available.........they are expensive but this would be a neat solution. A cheaper option would be to use an R380 with a P38 bell housing, but this is right on the limit of what the R380 can handle and I think it would spoil the enjoyment of driving it if I'm constantly worrying about over stressing the gearbox.

If you can find one (more common in europe) from an E46 Xi it wil have a rear flange for the transfer box.