Engine Conversion - BMW M57 into a 90

I've done 5000 miles in it so far and I'm so pleased with it. It went through the MOT last week with no advisories which was nice. I have had an error code for one of the glow plugs so I ordered some new ones, but I've heard horror stories about them snapping in the head so I'm yet to decide whether I'm actually brave enough to try and replace it.

28 minutes ago, LiamC said:

I've done 5000 miles in it so far and I'm so pleased with it. It went through the MOT last week with no advisories which was nice. I have had an error code for one of the glow plugs so I ordered some new ones, but I've heard horror stories about them snapping in the head so I'm yet to decide whether I'm actually brave enough to try and replace it.

Sounds good! The merc lumps are person I'm not that keen on for glow plugs too. Not sure how much I fancy tackling one of them either! 

On 12/11/2020 at 9:47 PM, LiamC said:

Well I haven't done much towing with it yet but I did move my sister's horse trailer and it was effortless. The engine has so much talk I didn't really notice it was there.

On another note we did a run from Oxford to Dunfirmeline at 70mph all the way (on cruise control), we then competed in a two day on and off road navigation event and then drove back home via the lake district and averaged 32mpg, which I was very pleased with. 

dunfermline in scotland?

• Like 1

Changed the glow plugs on my M57 thought I'd do it before I installed it in the 110 , 4 snapped off in the holes , the head needed skimming anyway . The concensus on the FB page was get the engine up to temp before trying to remove them , so good luck 🤞.

12 hours ago, LiamC said:

Yes that's right, this was back in October when we were allowed to travel. We went to an event run by the British army motorsports association. Such a well organised event with very sensible covid safe measures. 

mudmaster is a good event, won it a few times with my dad in the past

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 9:48 PM, LiamC said:

I just found these photos which show the mounts in situ.

20200410_085845.jpg

20200410_085909.jpg

Hi Liam firstly thank you for sharing all your experience and valuable info regarding the M57 conversion. 

The 1st pic relating to the engine mounts.. There are 2 mounts on the one side. What is the other mount behind for? 

I have a 300tdi 90 With galvanised chassis.. Is there a company that makes a bolt on kit to mount the M57 engine and BMW gearbox without the need to weld? 

Much appreciated 

Mellin

On 12/24/2021 at 8:53 AM, Guy4ever said:

There are 2 mounts on the one side. What is the other mount behind for? 

I think you might be looking at the turbo actuator with the black/blue rubber pipe on it? It sticks down very close to the engine mount.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 7:30 PM, Guy4ever said:

Hi Liam

What mount did you use for the gearbox. 

I understand that the xfer box used its current mount but how did you end up mounting the 6 speed box ?

The 6-speed to LT230 adaptor plate has mounting holes drilled and tapped which I think is designed to take the original 300tdi/R380 mount, but as I originally had a 2.5N/A/LT77 it wasn't quite right so I had to slightly modify those mounts to get them lined up. I don't have a picture of that but I remember it was fairly straight forward.