Disco 2 leaks...sunroof?

petrolhead63

My headliner is overdue a refurb...that will be on next springs joblist. However, following the hot dry summer the roof has decided to leak badly! The front sunroof I suspect the culprit.....gets wet around headliner to front edge of it and the front of the headlining by windscreen. The winder handle/interior light area collects water which drips and deluges around bends.

Initially I thought I had found the issue, the rubber glass roof seal had come adrift on one corner, it is better now it is refitted but still leaks terribly.

There appears to be no water coming in past the seal against the glass itself.

Experience from others as to what may be the cause would be useful, I wondered if the seal needs to be better to the roof panel around the aperture.

Also I see the frame could let water under it?

The sunroof isn't watertight, by design. There is an internal tray around the perimeter of the window that is connected to drain pipes that run down the A & B pillar, check they are not blocked and it may be that your tray is rusted through if it has been blocked for long enough before.

The connectors between the tray and the drain pipes referred to by JohnnoK are plastic injection mouldings, the tubes of which I have found to fracture (probably due to the pressure of the roof liner on them) thereby letting water onto roof lining instead of going down the drain pipes.

I Araldited the tubes back in place and then Araldited some stainless steel sheet guards to the roof pressing itself to prevent the roof liner touching the plastic mouldings when it was replaced.

It cured the leak around the front edge of the liner but I still get water leaking down the shaft of the front winding handle from time to time.

Lots on this forum about leaking roofs!

I have a car where the sunroof drain blocks and I clear it out...I cant find the drains on this roof. Could somebody point me to where they are with the manual roof open and slid back so I can poke it and perhaps puff some air down it. On the car i use an old speedo cable inner drive which is nice and bendy and clears it.

It is so bad now there are two buckets in the car! mind you noah will be building his ark as we head for 40 days and nights of rain ;0)

Edited by petrolhead63
corrected

On 10/18/2019 at 1:12 PM, bear said:

Hi, The exit points for the front drain tubes are under the A pillar. They are difficult to see and easily blocked with muck. The rear tubes can be acessed behind each rear light unit.

HTH,

Griff

Hi thanks Griff, that helps. I will need to drop the headliner anyway in due course but weather not really good for that over the next few months!

I assume the drain hole in the sunroof tray cant be accessed with the sunroof open from the top as with the car?

Do I need to remove anything to get access to the drain hose under the A pillar?

I certainly couldn't see the drain tube in the sunroof tray. Nothing to remove to get to the drain hole at the bottom of the A pillar. They are difficult to find due to the amount of mud that covers them. One hole each side in the metal.

HTH,

Griff