Defender 90 winch bumper mounting?

Hi

Recently purchased a winch bumper for my 90 but the mounting brackets don't align with the chassis?? Am I missing something obvious or is the wrong one for the vehicle? I purchased it off Ebay off of another defender. Help please.

20191014_174003.jpg

Well the bumper obviously needs to be stood up straight and then perhaps the two vertical bolts will fit?

Sadly it appears that the bumper you bought doesn't use the lashing eye bolt holes too to make it a 6 bolt attachment which is preferable but not he end of the world.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 9:59 PM, UdderlyOffroad said:

Care to share what grade they should be?

Any I made and sold had a full set of stress calcs and from memory 10.9 high tensile, but that was my bumper, any manufacturer should have the bolt size and grade in the instructions, as they should also have a file with the info in incase of any insurance claims.

I was lucky as a good friend can do the calcs and produced the correct paperwork.

In my experience I have seen bumpers fail but also a chassis come apart as it had been poorly repaired, they are not rocket science to make but like most things a no win no fee bloke can upset the apple cart very easily. Remember the bolts should not be studs and should not be threaded all the way up to the head as these are weaker

A local lifting gear place can easily test it for you for a few quid.

The big issue is are they lifting equipment or not? But that's another can of worms, you see a winch with a load rating but not a bumper?

Edited by winchman10