Washer pump woes

Hi, 

Got yet another issue with my 110.

When i press the wiper stalk, the washer pump does not work only the wipers move.

So i thought it was a blown fuse... so checked that out and the fuse is fine (multimeter continuity tested)

Then i guessed the pump itself was trash but just to make sure, i switched the wire, took the wire from the rear screen pump and plugged it to the front screen pump. 

So now it works perfectly...  but using the rear screen wash to actuate the front screen wash is just a temporary fix.

So my latest guess is that the wiring to the front pump is worn or chaffed on some place...

I taped the wash wipe stalk so it stays pressed, and check for continuity at the plug with my multimeter, and i have continuity....

So...WRONG AGAIN.

What do you think, is it a worn stalk ?

13 hours ago, western said:

Pop the stalk end cap off & examine the fingers & spring, they could be corroded stopping the current flow

Tried that, and the end cap just flew across the vehicle... i found the spring but nothing else... i hope there is just one spring and i didn't lose something while dismantling it...

Everything seems ok, no corrosion whatsoever. 

7 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

I'm sorry, it wasn't really clear, do you have power to the positive terminal at the pump ?

Mo

Sorry if it wasn't clear...  

My battery is now dead, so i can"t troubleshoot the whole thing until tomorrow.

But i'll try to sum up everything i checked and be more clear.

My car is a TD5 from 2000

The previous owner must have change the washer bottle at some point because the pumps that where installed when i bought the car

had different connectors than the one on my car's wiring loom

so i bought two brand new pumps with the correct connectors.

When i tried to actuate them i realized that the front pump didn't switch on when i pressed the stalk

The rear screen washer pump was working though !

So i tried to check if the new front windscreen washer pump was busted by connecting it to the rear windscreen switch, and it works no problem.

So i'm guessing it's either a problem in the wiring from the wiper stalk to the washer pump... or the wiper stalk itself that is faulty or even the fuse.

I tried and work my way up to check anything. The fuse is ok visually, and the multimeter is buzzing when i touch each polarities.

I taped the stalk so it stays pressed, (with the ignition switch in position 2 ), and there was power to the pump's positive terminal.

I even tried to check the continuity on the wing harness (from either end of the positive wire going to the pump) and it shows 0, so continuity is fine.

39 minutes ago, Victor Normandy said:

Tried that, and the end cap just flew across the vehicle... i found the spring but nothing else... i hope there is just one spring and i didn't lose something while dismantling it...

Everything seems ok, no corrosion whatsoever. 

Only the spring under the end cap, sounds good then, the 12v is on the 2 fingers if no power the wire might be broken in the stalk or switching end.

2 hours ago, Victor Normandy said:

I taped the stalk so it stays pressed, (with the ignition switch in position 2 ), and there was power to the pump's positive terminal.

You are normally saying ‘continuity’ but say that you have also verified (using the voltage setting) that there is +12v at one of the pump connections. Now check if you have 0V at the other or simply hold a wire from that other connection to a local metal ground point. 

Edited by Peaklander

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

You are normally saying ‘continuity’ but say that you have also verified (using the voltage setting) that there is +12v at one of the pump connections. Now check if you have 0V at the other or simply hold a wire from that other connection to a local metal ground point. 

By continuity i mean resistance check cause at first i was suspecting a broken wire.

Ok thanks, will try that tomorrow

Edited by Victor Normandy

Check the voltage at the multi-pin connection at the switch on the output side of the front SW button , (light green/black ?) it should be possible to separate the block enough to get the probe in and keep it connected  , it sounds like you have a break between the switch and pump .

cheers

Steve b

thanks Steve.

But found the solution....

Rookiest of the rookiest mistake

It's only after checking the wiring diagram for the wash wipe system, that i realized the wire color was off.... i was plugging the front washer with the unit sounder alarm plug...

found the right plug that was hiding inside the wing....

Now everything works !

• Like 2

Good to hear , and by no means a rookie mistake , I've just finished doing a full BH swap on a 200Tdi Defender and the non functioning blower motor turned out to be because I'd plugged the brake balance light tail in - the only other 3 pin connector in the loom -once the two tails were in the right place all was good , never stop learning things , and I've been in Land Rovers for several decades .

cheers

Steve b