Does it matter?

DC_

Afternoon guys, getting round to changing my glow plugs... the replacement set are slightly longer than the current ones that are in. So the question is, does it really matter? 

FFDDE72A-6443-48D8-8EC0-EB97CD9823A1.jpeg

Just what i was going to say ^^^^ 

Just put one in and do up finger tight, then spanner on crank nut and turn the engine over slowly. 

It could be the old glow plug is shorter due to age and heat corrosion???

Edited by Mutley
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, western said:

Might help if we knew which engine these are for ?

In my signature Ralph 👍 

Thanks guys, put one in and turned it, didn’t notice any hitting of any kind. Then connected it up. Started it and all seemed fine. Put the rest in, it started very well. Looking at all the old ones, the one closest to the bulkhead was dirty and wet. After starting with all new, there wasn’t the usual little lump you can feel sometimes when it starts. 

I take it if there was a problem I’d know about it for sure on start up? 

17 minutes ago, DC_ said:

In my signature Ralph 👍 

Thanks guys, put one in and turned it, didn’t notice any hitting of any kind. Then connected it up. Started it and all seemed fine. Put the rest in, it started very well. Looking at all the old ones, the one closest to the bulkhead was dirty and wet. After starting with all new, there wasn’t the usual little lump you can feel sometimes when it starts. 

I take it if there was a problem I’d know about it for sure on start up? 

Yes lol! Will be fine now 

3 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Yes lol! Will be fine now 

😂 just making sure 👍 cheers L19MUD

she’s good to go for the winter. New battery installed too..... winter camp on November 2nd near Glencoe so hopefully all set ! 

• Like 1

If I remember right, the glowplugs in the pre Tdi diesels can't hit a piston if too long as they sit inside the swirl chamber rather than protrude from the face of the cylinder head. If they are a little too long, the tip that should glow the hottest on a good plug won't be sitting under the injector spray as intended making starting difficult. If they were really too long you wouldn't be able to tighten them up as they would just hit the otherside of the swirl chamber.

I beleive Beru plugs to be best in my experience. Here are the correct dimensions for glow plugs for the Land Rover 2.5 NA Diesel/TD:

872277320_Captureberu.PNG.b637eaea96dc5fc1ff5cee1596fd545f.PNG

Edited by monkie
additional info
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, monkie said:

If I remember right, the glowplugs in the pre Tdi diesels can't hit a piston if too long as they sit inside the swirl chamber rather than protrude from the face of the cylinder head. If they are a little too long, the tip that should glow the hottest on a good plug won't be sitting under the injector spray as intended making starting difficult. If they were really too long you wouldn't be able to tighten them up as they would just hit the otherside of the swirl chamber.

I beleive Beru plugs to be best in my experience. Here are the correct dimensions for glow plugs for the Land Rover 2.5 NA Diesel/TD:

872277320_Captureberu.PNG.b637eaea96dc5fc1ff5cee1596fd545f.PNG

Thanks monkie for that great info. The truck definitely starts better and I don’t have to count to 15 now for the plugs to heat up. 

• Like 1