am i mad?

qwakers

Love the P38 and have been trying for 6 months to get mine on the road. Finally fixed the oil leak today, started the engine, heated it up and water spat from the o rings in the cab grr. P38's are plentiful and cheap as Arjan said. 

Go for it!!!

I managed 8 years of Land Rover free life …...…………….

No items in the kitchen, or the dining room, or the loft, or the spare bedroom, or the garden, or the garage. Nothing in a friends stable and barn. No rented lock up to pay for.

Back to square one now, except for the rented lock up.

So be careful !

On 10/20/2019 at 10:17 PM, qwakers said:

i used to have a 4.0v8 se with a r380 gearbox. it WASNT slow, not at all. it would spin all 4 wheels up in 2nd!.

Mine is a 4.6 V8 and there is nothing like sitting at lights, blipping the throttle and watching the car rock from side to side with the torque of the engine. OOOOOOH so looking forward to driving mine very very soon.

Well mine is almost ready to go back on the road.

One wheel to change tonight, Viscous coupling at the weekend, O rings for heater matrix again hopefully at the weekend and then it can go for it's MOT while I am on holiday. Looking forward to having it back.

Go for it. Even when not everything is working perfectly (don't expect it to), it's such a lovely vehicle to drive. And ridiculously capable off-road, especially if you get the 4-wheel TC.

Don't buy one on coils, it's guaranteerd to have been messed with.

1 hour ago, qwakers said:

shame its a auto...

Ah,... your still young, ..... it'll come eventually, ......  great offroad,  though I'll admit not quite so good at spinning wheels on the roundabout, ...

I offer this as a solution though ;

The Skid Factory, Nissan TD42

At about 12 minutes 10 secs he explains how he 'manualised' the gearbox, although  he does gloss over some of the detail it is an interesting concept and not one you hear a lot about, maybe its an Oz thing, or maybe it is a bit tricky I don't know.

Advice has to be go for it, wait for a manual if you must :D

I would go for the Auto. Fuel economy on a Range Rover is something you dream about however I did manage to get 23mpg in my 4.6 on a trip to London to see my girlfreind now wife.

The option I would certainly take is getting one with LPG. Get the same/similar mpg but the fuel is half the price. Makes a Range Rover very practical and is certainly better than my Disco TD5.

Another vote to go for it! Although I think the Classic is better looking (especially the 2-door!) I'm properly hooked on P38s. Nice to drive on everyday, even with all the electronics you still get a good driving experience, not detached like in more modern offerings. Offroad you'll get plenty of attention and really appreciate the comfort and ease you can tackle most obstacles with. The V8 manual is lovely, even more so if you upgrade from a 4.0 to a 4.6 or bigger. 8-)

Filip