300 tdi Remove complete egr or just blank

Hi everyone 

I want to blank off my egr on the 300tdi which I believe with the new mot laws it cannot be removed ? 

So I guess it’s best to slip a blanking plate between the manifold and actually egr Instead of actually removing the egr completely ? 

what do most do ? 

many thanks 

• 3 years later...

Reviving an older thread here, but I hope that still gets the views and saves me opening a new topic. Apologies also because I know this has been covered a bit. 

My mate ... (honestly! my 1994 300Tdi had no EGR from the factory!) has a 1998 90 Defender with a 300Tdi. It had an EGR fitted which I've removed as part of a refit. His car was first registered in September 1998 so I think that must be nearing the end of the 300Tdi run, with the Td5 imminent. I'm also assuming - but please correct me if you know differently - that an EGR was a factory install in '98 Defenders? I can't really see why it would be there otherwise. 

So I understand the pros and cons from a running point of view - helps with the 'smoky' side of the emissions, bad/worse for NOx emissions. If we lived in an urban area then we probably wouldn't have removed it, but it's far, far from that. This car will spend most of its time on his farm, or out in the country, and certainly not in dense, inner city conditions. 

So far, so good. That's the background. I've been looking at the MOT manual and it states: 

"You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves."

and then:

(a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective - Major Defect

It goes on to cover the soot emissions test itself which I don't think is the issue here. 

I've read the link that Monkie posted above, and that's clear enough. But will the MOT tester have reference to anything like the 'build sheet' of the vehicle, linked to the registration number, which would show that it left the factory with an EGR? If so, then based on a) above, that would be a fail - irrespective of whether it passed the smoke test?

In the real world maybe no-one is paying enough attention, but my mate is a law-abiding type, and I'd hate to cause him the grief if he has MOT issues.

Apart from a straight-forward removal (which I went for before appreciating the change in the MOT law) the other options are maybe just to clean and refit the EGR system - but then it's something that continues to need attention, and getting those bolts out of the manifold can be a real pain. Or, refit it but with a blanking plug between the valve and the manifold.

Can anyone help put my mind at rest here? 

Thanks very much.

Unlikely to have grief, the majority of TD5s have had EGRs removed and get passed. Mine doesn't even have the cooler and the pipework from the manifold but still passes. Keep the bits in a box. If it fails at some point stick them back on, job done. 

• Like 1

My RRC had a blanking plate instead of gasket under the EGR when I bought it.  I had no idea, and it looked standard externally as the plate is about the same thickness as the gasket would be.  It was years before I found out, and it never got mentioned on MoT - I can’t imagine for a moment that they noticed either.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think that's probably the 'ideal' - leaving it in place, but with the spacer under the valve. I can't see that being picked up at all. 

In this case, the valve fixings were just a real XXXXX to remove. Impossible in fact, so the grinder came out to improve access, and the valve ended up in several bits. So all I'd have would be the blanking plate on the manifold. This is where the difference between 1994 and 1998 comes in. If my '94 300 ever had an EGR it was fully and completely removed in the first 7 years of its life before I bought it, but I don't think so. Move forward 4 years, and there it is. 

Thank you. Do you think it likely that the MOT tester would have some specific info on each vehicle depending on registration plate? Otherwise how could they possibly know if a piece of ‘emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer’ was absent?

8 minutes ago, Northwards said:

Thank you. Do you think it likely that the MOT tester would have some specific info on each vehicle depending on registration plate? Otherwise how could they possibly know if a piece of ‘emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer’ was absent?

Mine has been missing for years, and obviously missing, has never been a problem, not even a query regards Stephen

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Put it into the test. See what happens. If it fails, fit a valve.

100% - thanks. If it was my vehicle that’s exactly what I’d do. I’m just more concerned and ‘responsible’ than I would be because it’s not my car, and the removal is something I suggested/recommended. I think though the balance of experienced opinion seems to be that it will not be a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northwards said:

The test notes for each vehicle are nowhere near as detailed as that even for newer cars let alone the older ones. They also are quite generic to the model and won't pick up differences between years

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Northwards said:

100% - thanks. If it was my vehicle that’s exactly what I’d do. I’m just more concerned and ‘responsible’ than I would be because it’s not my car, and the removal is something I suggested/recommended. I think though the balance of experienced opinion seems to be that it will not be a problem.

Well, I'd be inclined to fit the egr: if it came with it, then the manufacturer intended it to be maintained. 

• Like 1