Eberspächer advice

ianmayco68

Hi all , well to cut a long story short the 4x4 club I’m in are planning on doing the Scottish 500 next Easter and as I’m going I’ve put the project 90 on hold for a bit so I can get the 110 up to scratch to go on the adventure. So as I’m planning on sleeping in the truck I thought I’d better fit a night heater was looking at a Chinese hobbies then an Eberspächer came up at a reasonable price , so I brought it and hopefully it’ll be here by the end of the week . 

So are they easily serviced ? Could I do it ? I know I can buy a kit off eBay but thought I’d ask on here first , is there any part I should clean out while it’s apart , it’s come out of a works van and has been sold by an auction company but removed by a garage and lastly is there any other parts I should replace before I fire it up like the glow plug ? And is there any other advice people can give on installation ? Also I’m not sure if there’s a controller with it any advice on the best one .

cheers Ian 

Eberspächer is a brand/manufacturer, covering a whole range of different fuel-burning heaters [with powers from a pedestrian gnats-whiskers-more-than-a-Kilowatt up to 50+Killerwatt serious burn-the-hair-off-your-legs roasters]

Which Eberspächer model do you have?

Really simple , basic service is fuel filter in the pump and the gauze thats fitted next to the glow pin. Just make sure when you fit the replacement you line it up  , you need to make sure you don't block the small hole. If you want to go further then you will need a set of gaskets , pull the unit apart and decoke it .

Plenty of manuals available online or if you PM me I'll send you over the latest manuals and the part numbers you'll need .

• Like 1

Well it arrived today and it looks quite new, the unit,

D3A88F90-D6F0-4DCA-829B-85367FC8CA77.thumb.jpeg.841e421198ac122419c6e8598fd6b4a8.jpeg

fuel pump

B8F92C69-1A6A-46AD-86F7-13AB4D52DB28.thumb.jpeg.f8f76e556b96fba4afa766fbd262e148.jpeg

and the loom,

59D44C5E-6741-4567-90AC-12D3FE49D904.thumb.jpeg.3ba67542dcdb4493fb20f8526b78e9e6.jpeg

so it looks like all I need is the exhaust and silencer , an extra outlet pipe , fuel tank and a 7 day timer . Also anybody got any ideas what this is for or is ?

C4F82439-3311-4E0E-BB89-AC5AC22BE86F.thumb.jpeg.bfe7c899a3a047c3bb63bcd6bf03bd49.jpeg

it wouldn’t by any chance be some sort of split charge relay ? 

Well done a bit of digging and apparently it’s a Pro Latch R latching relay , have found on line manual so a bit of reading for later and an added bonus with the eberspacher . Would like the opinions of people who know more about these as to whether they’re any good or not.

Hope this isnt a thread hijack, but I have a D1LC. How sensitive are these eberspacher units to veg oil? I usually dont turn mine on until I have run a few full tanks of diesel through in the colder months, but will the tolerate a little (or a lot) of veg oil??

Edited by reb78

25 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

I’ll have a look tomorrow and see if there’s one on it .

From the serial number I can see manufacture date and where originally installed if it's not a grey import  so if you can read it just post it up

• Like 1

Ian, I'm really happy with our d2. Just had a short walking trip to the Lakes and it was on all evening and mornings till we got out and about. I have an 801 controller which doesn't provide any programming but I do like the way it works with the heater, modulating the output as the return air to the intake reaches the set point. Also the space heats up really quickly after the on button is pressed. Those first few minutes waiting are cold though!

Cheers Peaklander , it’s nice to know that they’re worth having, I wanted the programming function as where very rural where I live and I’m up at 5.30 for work so thought it would be quite nice to have it come on and have the truck nice and toasty for when I leave at 6 :D .