Sign in to follow this  
Paddy_SP

Strange Door Switch Relay Noise?

I have a strange problem with my D1 - whenever one of the doors is closed (or at least the door switch is operated), a relay at the right end of the dash (above and behind the steering wheel) goes mental for about half a second, making like a sort of 'wheee' noise. About the same time that this started happening, I noticed that the illumination on the switch for the heated rear screen was staying on (so I removed it to reduce the risk of a flat battery in the middle of nowhere). Whether two are connected - and I suspect they are, I don't yet know. My initial thought is that they may share a common earth, so that could well have failed. But before delving into the inner recesses of my truck, I thought it'd make sense to see if anyone here knew what the problem might be - so, over to you guys...

As ever, any help would be most appreciated!

Since posting the above, I've sussed that the noise is coming from what I believe to be the rear heater relay - the small can that's located in the middle of the fuseboard with 056700-5260 written on it. I thought that simply replacing it might sort the problem (I had a spare one), but it's made no difference at all. If I remove the component, the noise goes away, but when it's fitted, every time I activate the door switch it makes a 'weeee' sound, a bit like a rusted hinge being forced open. So - I now know where it's coming from, but I'm still none the wiser as to why!