Quick release back window ideas (escape hatch kinda thing)

FridgeFreezer

One of the little improvements that I've been getting round to on the 109 is replacing the seized-up and draughty back sliding (not sliding anymore) side windows with single piece perspex.

That's all fine and dandy but, being paranoid and over cautious, it would be nice if there was some way of fitting the piece of perspex in the hole such that it could be easily & quickly released from inside with minimal fuss.

On the ambulance there's a seal-and-bead (defender screen) type rubber seal with a ring-pull that yanks the bead out, allowing the window to be popped out more easily. However, adding a big rubber seal would look pants so I'm looking for other ideas.

The panel will be sat in the recess of the window-hole against the outer body skin, I'm envisaging simple L-section ali strips holding it in from behind.

Any suggestions on how to make it poppable-outable?

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

One of the little improvements that I've been getting round to on the 109 is replacing the seized-up and draughty back sliding (not sliding anymore) side windows with single piece perspex.

That's all fine and dandy but, being paranoid and over cautious, it would be nice if there was some way of fitting the piece of perspex in the hole such that it could be easily & quickly released from inside with minimal fuss.

On the ambulance there's a seal-and-bead (defender screen) type rubber seal with a ring-pull that yanks the bead out, allowing the window to be popped out more easily. However, adding a big rubber seal would look pants so I'm looking for other ideas.

The panel will be sat in the recess of the window-hole against the outer body skin, I'm envisaging simple L-section ali strips holding it in from behind.

Any suggestions on how to make it poppable-outable?

I'm trying to picture what you mean but I suspect (if its what I imagine) I'd be making an alloy subframe into which the glass fits and is sealed. This frame is then sealed (maybe with neoprene rubber seals on the back) against the bodywork and some kind of round pin with a hole in the end shoved through into the inside of the body work. On the inside those pins/holes will show and a little split pin shoved through the hole keeping it tight on the inside thus sealing the outside tight against the neoprene. If the inside split pins are wired together on each side and top and bottom it might be easy enough to simply pull the wires and remove the pins allowing the frame to be pushed out?

Simplest example is the same way a Series windscreen is fitted - pane of glass goes in the hole, aluminium L strips get screwed in behind it to hold it in.

I'm trying to think of a way that those strips could be popped out relatively easily from the inside.

series_screen.png.137085011f7eae46a4fa43fcfa2b40aa.png

If you're thinking the latter then what about making something like a gull-wing setup? Hinged at the top and then a catch at the bottom. If you made it something like the original pop-top Tdi era sunroofs then  you can slide them out easily enough.

I'm going to ask why? If for eds latter reason you have five doors if you can't get out of one of them your not getting out period. If the perspex is 4mm you'd probably kick it out if needed. If your that worried cut some little triangles out of the edge in two places to force a crack to form. Failing that as ed also says a z shape frame with door type seal then thicker perspex hinged and catched.

Mike

I was thinking "emergency exit" sort of situation but you're right that if you're not going out one of the doors you're probably not going out... just pondering options really before sticking the windows in, if it could be done cheap & simple I'd do it just because, but I'm not really seeing a brilliant option.

Oh and it's 3mm Makrolon so tough, but probably kickable-outable given how flexi it is.

The only "simple" option I see for that might be something cam based. If you have a frame the plastic sits in then you could have a cam that goes over-centre to push the plastic against the frame to hold it in. I suspect for any "removable" solution you're going to have more problems than it's worth trying to keep it watertight.

3mm material is going to be quite flexible and will need either bonding or firm pressure all round on a rubber seal, the only good way to achieve that removably would be quite a rigid frame, I don't think it would be quick, easy or cheap to do. What about bonding it but have a bare wire inside and a feed from the battery with a big red button, melt the bonding and or the plastic?

• 3 weeks later...