Twospanners

Defender Steering Box leak from top nut

Hi,

A question for the brain trust, I have power steering fluid coming out of the top nut of the power steering box - what does this mean? I took the nut off and there is no seal but looks like the nut has had locktite or similar around it. Can I just put a new nut on with some fresh locktite or does this mean seals have gone elsewhere in the box?

Thanks for the help 

the centre allen socket screw is the steering box adjuster & the big nut is it's locknut,  

I'm not sure if there is a 'O' ring seal around the adjuster hole.

I bought another Steering box so I can check the nut out (expensive solution) . It looks like a M12 but it may not be metric as I bought an M12 and it doesn't quite fit.

So here is the one off the new box. The question still stands what are these nuts what is the red stuff - some kind of silicon seal? and where do I get them from?

2019-11-24 16.02.28.jpg

Edited by Twospanners

A photo of a overall view would be more useful & vehicle model, 4 bolt or 6 bolt steering box? 

13 hours ago, western said:

A photo of a overall view would be more useful & vehicle model, 4 bolt or 6 bolt steering box? 

?? Original poster has supplied all of the above!

Anyway, the answer to the question is that the nut is a Bollhoff “Seal lock” nut - these are designed to seal the threads of the steering box adjuster nut from leakage.

• Like 1