Battery impact wrenches

I’m another happy user of the big dewalt one. I seldom get the airline one out now. Fabulous at doing loads of stuff is the battery one but I still use the air one for crank shaft boults. 

I have a small Mikita one but only use that over a standard socket when there are loads of fixings, like on bumpers and stuff. 

I’ve used Mikita 18v driver for tek screws in buildings and been impressed, but my son converted me to DeWalt and now I buy the bare tools. The 1/2 inch one is a bit heavy if using with stretched out arm when laying under a Land but will undo anything I try it on. Just ordered the smaller 894 which is half the weight at about 400 nm torque, to be honest I’ve been wary of buying of eBay etc because of counterfeit items. I may be wrong but tend to buy from well known suppliers hoping not to get caught out. Toolstop are very competitive as are others on the net.

I've not been caught out yet buying on ebay. It arrived yesterday and I registered for the three year warranty successfully. See what you mean about heavy! Though I'd be disappointed if it wasn't.

The acid test will be graunching crusty old bolts out of the steam loco. 

• 3 months later...

Thread revival 

With an isolated birthday next week - I’m thinking of taking advantage of the fact Screwfix are still doing free deliveries and getting this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee-m18-cblpp2a-502c-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-redlithium-brushless-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/229hv

Combi drill and impact driver pack delivering power and run time. RedLink Plus intelligence system delivers advanced digital overload protection and enhances performance under load.

• 1 x 18V Brushless Combi Drill 60Nm
  • 1 x 18V Brushless Impact Driver 180Nm
  • 2 x 18V 5.0Ah Li-Ion Batteries
  • 1 x 100min Multi-Voltage Charger
  • 1 x Carry Case(s)

I’m not after some monster Nm - but something small enough to use in and around the car .... this looks a good one.

No doubt good kit, but that is an impact driver rather than an impact wrench.

They pack a good punch but are more suited to screws and smaller bolts than the bigger-sized tight things on Land Rovers. For normal bodywork nuts and bolts though it would probably do the job.

You won't go wrong with Milwaukee stuff (says he who's got a literal pile of M18 tools):

• High Torque Impact Wrench
  • 1/4" Driver
  • Drill
  • 5" Grinder
  • Floodlight
  • Jigsaw

But James is right it's a driver not an impact. Whilst packing a punch above most other drivers it's not an impact wrench. Although to be fair I stripped a chunk of the interior and engine bay of the P38 with one. Stuff on the axles needed the big daddy (1800+Nm). So if you want something impacty because you need something impacty I'd go for a proper wrench setup (mid-torque in Milwaukee's range probably) but it might struggle with the odd seized suspension / chassis bolt. Having said that although I do love my the big one the downside is it's difficult to get into places sometimes.

I sheared a new M6 bolt today with the baby impact driver.

A few months ago I was dropping the axles on the P38 to get the diffs out for Nige and came across an M24 bolt. Stuck the big impact onto it and it was there hammering away but still turning. Guess this one was properly stuck in. About 30 seconds later it suddenly came flying out, sheared. Ah well - at least it's out I thought. Noticing the bolt actually seemed to be in pretty good nick which was a little odd. Went around to the other side and the same thing happened. Oh well at least the axle can come off now.

About half an hour later I was doing something else and went to spin up a nut and realised I had the impact in tighten mode... Oops. So that just sheared a fairly decent condition genuine 8.8 M24 bolt without too much hassle. :ph34r:

Might be worth having a look through Rich Deboss' review of Milwaukee impacts - strips a Cummins engine to demonstrate what each one is capable of.

8 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Yes sorry - I picked the wrong thread to revive 😮

Though I was thinking that 180nm should undo a fair few things ... ?

It probably will - I’ve got the 170nm Makita and it’ll run nuts and bolts up fairly tight but I mainly use it for screws in timber, which it’s excellent at. 150mm 8mm coach screws go right in no bother.

I’ve always been under the impression however that impact drivers are more for doing things up than undoing them. Whereas wrenches are the opposite?

• Like 1

Thanks Ed - I’ll have a look at that. 

At this point I was mainly thinking of having a drill I can use without the fuss and size of my (albeit rather nice) corded drill. Plus something for woodwork that would turn it’s hand to taking time out of all the endless small bolts I seem to spend an age on with spanners.

For chunky stuff I have still been using air and breaker bars - though I was thinking if I like the battery stuff I could perhaps buy an impact wrench body and share the batteries at a later date...? 

Though if they did a double set of an impact driver and an impact wrench - I could live with my corded drill for the amount I use it ... 🤔

All the M18 stuff has batteries that are interchangeable and have been for years. Be wary of the drill - it has a habit of snapping wrists. So if you've got something then you can buy the bodies only. Be wary though don't buy batteries on their own - they tend to be cheaper as part of a kit. I've sheared less stuff using the impact than I have with a breaker bar.

• Like 1

Another point (and just noticed the end of Rich's video) is tight fitting sockets are a must. Any wobble severely reduces the ability of it to undo nuts - you can see this in his video as they wobble around.

• Like 1

The Kielder 1/2" wrenches on Amazon for £138 are great value - been using one daily for over a year at work.  Not got the power of some of the expensive ones, but easily copes with tight wheel nuts. The compact size is very handy for a lot of jobs. 

The Milwaukee gear at screwfix is quite often the end of line items, make sure any Milwaukee you buy is the fuel version as these are the brushless motors.

Theres a fantastic tool shop in Skipton called JACs, Pete the manager there can usually beat most deals you find on the internet and taylor a package to suit you. I’m sure they deliver they are extremely helpful.

Makita, milwaukee, DeWalt, MAC, Snap-On. They are all absolutely brilliant these days. 

Its more down to personal preference than anything else. I have Makita, both the large bodied 1600?Nm and the smaller bodied ~250Nm one and they are awesome. 90% of the time I pick up the smaller one of the two as the larger is much less wieldy. 

I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them though. Higher the voltage and amp hour the better. 

On 3/30/2020 at 3:34 PM, Anderzander said:

Thanks Muddy - I’ve ordered it though! 

They came and seem really nice 👍🏻  It doesn’t say Fuel - but it does say brushless.  More than enough for what I need though I think.

• 5 months later...

From personal advice, I can't help you. But I'm thinking about buying impact wrenche myself. I read reviews from the blog and heard from friends that the Milwaukee is one of the best of inexpensive impact wrenches. So I doubt it. I've read about this here https://torquewrenchguide.com/reviews/best-cordless-impact-wrenches-for-changing-tires/. What do you think?

Not sure that I put the Milwaukee in the 'inexpensive' category???, I have the Makita , but the fact is if the Draper or the Kielder had been available locally I would have been pleased to save the expense. Having purchased one though I can say that it saves a huge amount of time, not just on wheels but all sorts of places, wouldn't be without one now.

If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, I bought a Bosch 18v impact wrench a month or so ago after a LOT of pontificating. In the end I went with the Bosch one because I already have other Bosch 18v items so I figured at the cost it was worth a punt.

So far it's been very impressive and battery life, even with the 2.0AH packs I have, has been very good and I've yet to find a nut/bolt it won't shift. I did go for the 300 Newton Meter version (GDS 18 V-300) though which, for me, was the best compromise between size, power and cost at £130. I have a basic "windy gun" and the Bosch out performs that in weight, size and power ! I was a bit sceptical and really wanted the Milwaukee but having used a friends Milwaukee and now the Bosch the only advantage of the Milwaukee range is that they offer a 3/8 version which, sadly, Bosch don't. As a result I have a 1/2 inch to 3/8 adapter almost permanently attached.

The Bosch has a thing called ABR which stops the gun when it senses no resistance while undoing a nut/bolt. Initially I thought that this would be permanently switched off on mine but it's actually proved more useful than I expected as it tends to stop just before the wheel nut comes off the stud, saving all the faffing about trying to get the nut out of the socket each time !

I'm now looking at angle grinders... :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dave W said:

The Bosch has a thing called ABR which stops the gun when it senses no resistance while undoing a nut/bolt.

I think my little Milwaukee 1/4" driver has at least the "opposite" of this. It's got some form of load sensing for driving in screws etc., when the torque ramps up substantially from what it was initially then it stops. Never actually tried it out - even on it's weakest setting wood these days is so carp that it simply ploughs the screw all the way through.

2 hours ago, Blanco said:

Not sure that I put the Milwaukee in the 'inexpensive' category???

Neither would I. I've got the original Fuel Hi Torque 1/2" impact that's something like 1200lb-ft and it was the first Milwaukee tool I bought so had to buy the kit. Two 5Ah batteries, fast charger and the impact itself was north of £500+VAT, but it has come down since then, I think it's only north of £400+VAT now :blink:. Mind you the little direction switch is largely pointless when undoing nuts and bolts, irrespective of which way the switch is that nut is coming off :rofl: (OK maybe the bolt snaps first but the nut still comes off, did that accidentally with an M24 bolt).

4 hours ago, Dave W said:

If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, I bought a Bosch 18v impact wrench a month or so ago after a LOT of pontificating. In the end I went with the Bosch one because I already have other Bosch 18v

Second that I have the high torque impact gun exellent bit of kit

I'm now looking at angle grinders... :)and

Unfortunately the Bosch grinder is not as good as the impact gun have had both and the Milwaukee is superior in every way having said that it would be ok depending upon use but for me personally not good enough for heavy work regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost