Battery impact wrenches

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Unfortunately the Bosch grinder is not as good as the impact gun have had both and the Milwaukee is superior in every way having said that it would be ok depending upon use but for me personally not good enough for heavy work regards Stephen

As there's not much price difference (excluding batteries) perhaps I should look at building a Milwaukee collection then... they should give the batteries away, like a drug dealer getting you hooked :)

38 minutes ago, Dave W said:

perhaps I should look at building a Milwaukee collection then...

It depends on what you do to be honest. Milwaukee tends to focus on particular markets every few years, e.g. they captured the mechanics market with the impacts etc., then they moved onto site construction etc. Makita / Dewalt might have a wider selection of tools in, for example, carpentry side of things.

The other thing not to discount with Milwaukee is the 12V tools - they aren't just a weaker version, they typically do a different range of tools, e.g. I know quite a few people who rave about the ratchets which are really only available in 12V versions. That might be the turning point for me to start building up M12 tools... :ph34r:

I've just treated myself to a new DeWalt 899 for the Workshop. I thought long and hard about a Milwaukee, but decided against it because all my other 18V tools are DeWalt and even without the batteries the price difference was hard to justify. On paper it offers a torque of 950Nm (compared to 440Nm for my old one) and up to 1650Nm for removing. Should be plenty, it's not that the old one let us down that often, but it did happen on occasion. The new one got a good workout stripping a P38 chassis that had been outside for some years, made easy work of all but one bolt. And I can't blame the impact, it was a 12-pointed M16 bolt, rusted solid, with the nut impossible to reach and a far from perfect fit of the (non-impact) approved socket. And it did come out, just took a bit more time. 🙂 

The new battery seems to last longer and the impacts feel more agressive and faster, which I think explains the huge claimed increase in torque. And it's a bit smaller as well. Very happy with it!

Filip

• Like 2
On 9/14/2020 at 2:25 PM, Dave W said:

I'm now looking at angle grinders... :)

FWIW I have the 18V angle grinder and it is the only Bosch 18V tool I am less than impressed with (and I have a few!)- the power switch is irritatingly difficult to use and it lacks real power - it spins far slower than a mains grinder and so is no good with a flap wheel or grinding disk if you are working it hard. It has its uses (i.e. where an extension lead cannot reach) but I wouldn't rush out and buy one. By contrast, my 20 year old mains Bosch grinder (a green one! :o ) is still going strong... although I did kill its sister a while back....

26 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Don't forget Mr 110v and a transformer that's my go to for all day working and safer outside the garage regards Stephen

I've got Makitas in 110v 1/2,3/4 drive . I thought about battery powered ones but when you're not using them daily battery's soon give up the ghost . 110 volt lasts forever 🙂

Gluv🇬🇧

16 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Ditto, having used various battery grinders, I would have a 240v any day of the week.

17 hours ago, bishbosh said:

FWIW I have the 18V angle grinder and it is the only Bosch 18V tool I am less than impressed with (and I have a few!)- the power switch is irritatingly difficult to use and it lacks real power - it spins far slower than a mains grinder and so is no good with a flap wheel or grinding disk if you are working it hard. It has its uses (i.e. where an extension lead cannot reach) but I wouldn't rush out and buy one. By contrast, my 20 year old mains Bosch grinder (a green one! :o ) is still going strong... although I did kill its sister a while back....

On the other hand then my 18V DeWalt grinder (the brushless version) is easily on par with any mains powered one I’ve used and with a 5AH battery gives a decent run time even when abusing a flap disc. 

4 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

On the other hand then my 18V DeWalt grinder (the brushless version) is easily on par with any mains powered one I’ve used and with a 5AH battery gives a decent run time even when abusing a flap disc. 

Ditto my Milwaukee 18v fuel brushless  grinder have been contemplating buying a couple of the 9AH batteries but they're so god dammed expensive regards Stephen

I stopped buying Gucci kit years ago.  Whether chainsaws or power tools, I got sick of stuff being stolen, damaged or lost by others.

I buy Einhall tools these days. Good quality, low price and brilliant spares back up. And often paid off with one job.

Hard to beat having four McAllister grinders hanging on the wall to be honest, one cutting disc, flapwheel, grinding disc and wire cup brush.

At the cost, it is hard to argue:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-msag750-750w-4-electric-angle-grinder-220-240v/970gf

My theory on this is that the grinder is a loss-leading line, if you buy it, and it lasts reasonably well, you will buy the other kit, which is not so good.

Having four, means if you burn one out, then you always have a spare while you wait for the replacement to be delivered :)

Fully agree. I have four - so I don't have to keep changing disc types. The oldest and most reliable was 6.99 at B&Q in a sale over twenty years ago. It spent a winter under water. Still works hard, but not as hard as it did.

I have 5 41/2" and one 9" was gifted some from work as they had the wrong type of start switch not allowed lock on ones however the beauty with cordless is not tripping over cables and untangling cables and of course my extension won't reach down the scrappies regards Stephen

I wanted a cordless disc cutter and ended up buying the Erbauer range through Screwfix and B&Q. I find the grinder ideal for the use it gets and the rest of the range Is excellent value for money. Although I wish they would do an impact wrench in the range. As Nonimouse says the branded products are first to be nicked and this type of range is disposable. As for mains grinders I have bought the Aldi & Lidl units as they are cheap and have variable speed which with a large cup brush on makes them easier to handle.

• Like 1