cackshifter

Mann & Hummel Provent

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has had any experience of these? (eg Provent 200)  If so do they give better oil separation than the tdi cyclones? I need some new breather hoses, and whilst looking round to see what there was came across them, and they seem a popular mod to Landcrusiers and VWs

I've just fitted one of these . I have only driven about fifty miles with it so far but it's got oil in it . Bloody tight fit under my bonnet though ( winterised/ waterproof  Wolf 90 )  

Gluv 🇬🇧

Thanks for the response. I'd be interested in your experiences when you have a few more miles on. I seem to be getting oil through the breather, so was wondering what could be done to improve it. 

Link as requested:link. I was looking at the 200, as that seems popular with Aus landcruiser people

There is a small bit on fitting one of these Provent 200 to a TD5 in the link below but other than periodically draining some oil off does not come to any real conclusion:

http://www.goingbush.com/defender.html

I have heard good reports in that they really do stop oil carry over from the breather but you do need to either plumb the oil back into the sump or drain it off. You also need to replace the filters every so often. - something to consider.

Toby

Interesting. I think it would be possible to utilise the existing separator's connections with a non-return valve to let it drain back to the sump.

I seem to remember these Provent units have been discussed on the forum before, but can't exactly remember when.

There ;)

What about opening up the standard Tdi vent, putting in some coarse mesh (like a stainless steel scouring pad, which has plenty of surface area and plenty of voids for gas travel) and resealing it?  I don’t think the cyclones work very well, but the old 10-19j caps did the job well enough if they were cleaned on services.