Mann & Hummel Provent

cackshifter

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has had any experience of these? (eg Provent 200)  If so do they give better oil separation than the tdi cyclones? I need some new breather hoses, and whilst looking round to see what there was came across them, and they seem a popular mod to Landcrusiers and VWs

There is a small bit on fitting one of these Provent 200 to a TD5 in the link below but other than periodically draining some oil off does not come to any real conclusion:

http://www.goingbush.com/defender.html

I have heard good reports in that they really do stop oil carry over from the breather but you do need to either plumb the oil back into the sump or drain it off. You also need to replace the filters every so often. - something to consider.

Toby

What about opening up the standard Tdi vent, putting in some coarse mesh (like a stainless steel scouring pad, which has plenty of surface area and plenty of voids for gas travel) and resealing it?  I don’t think the cyclones work very well, but the old 10-19j caps did the job well enough if they were cleaned on services.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:01 AM, Snagger said:

What about opening up the standard Tdi vent, putting in some coarse mesh (like a stainless steel scouring pad, which has plenty of surface area and plenty of voids for gas travel) and resealing it?  I don’t think the cyclones work very well, but the old 10-19j caps did the job well enough if they were cleaned on services.

Tried that, helps a bit but still get carry over.

After doing about 150 miles since installing the Pro vent I have drained it today and got about one and a half table spoons of oil from it . I must say I was quite surprised as my engine has only done 24000 . However given that the original tdi vent used to drain back to sump maybe this isn't too bad .If I remove the filler cap whilst running I don't really see any vapour. So in my experience the provent seems to be doing it job 

Gluv🇬🇧

I've mounted the provent on a bracket that fixes to the extra alternator mount . I also had to make a 45 degree adaptor for the rocker cover so the pipe could clear the air filter . It's proper cramped under the bonnet due to being a winterised/ waterproof vehicle . Pics below hopefully explain the installation.

Gluv 🇬🇧

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

2 hours ago, cackshifter said:

Gluv, Thank you very much for the response and the photos, they show it really well. Did you decide to not drain it back to the sump?

Due to lack of space I just couldn't route a pipe back so decided to just have a collection pipe with a ball valve on the end. I just blanked the sump return opening with a steel plate 

Gluv 🇬🇧

This is interesting. Although it is an aftermarket add on, the system is similar to that used on the BMW M47 (Freelander 1) and m57 (L322) diesels, also fitted to loads of other BMW vehicles.

On these engines, it is built into the engine top cover. The original setup used a filter, which would quickly become saturated with carbon and seriously inhibit crankcase ventilation. The "cure" for this was (and still is) to use a modified vortex insert  in place of the original filter. However, this does not work well either IMO, as your intake system and intercooler still fills with a lot of oil.

All of these BMW engines I have come across suffer from this, and is considered normal by what I have read, but I feel this is a base problem with the engine/materials/design, as they all suffer from a LOT of piston blowby, which is just not apparent on other very high mileage diesels we have run in the past ( and present)

It cannot do any harm though. 

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:26 PM, cackshifter said:

Simon, What were your problems? were you experiencing a leak where it attaches to the rocker cover or was oil carryover an issue?

Both, tried using the standard cyclone into a catch tank to stop oil going into the air filter, but that made the rocker cover leak more. Fitted the Alisport breather and found nothing going into the catch tank, but still had an oil weep from the then new rocker gasket. Now have the new breather piped back into the air filter and it's stopped the rocker leak and doesn't appear to be blowing any oil into the air intake any more. So it seems to have cured mine. As a matter of interest I cut the original cyclone open, and apart from the diaphragm operated non return valve, there's nothing in it at all, any "cyclone" effect would be minimal if anything.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 2:42 PM, Simon Smith said:

Both, tried using the standard cyclone into a catch tank to stop oil going into the air filter, but that made the rocker cover leak more. Fitted the Alisport breather and found nothing going into the catch tank, but still had an oil weep from the then new rocker gasket. Now have the new breather piped back into the air filter and it's stopped the rocker leak and doesn't appear to be blowing any oil into the air intake any more. So it seems to have cured mine. As a matter of interest I cut the original cyclone open, and apart from the diaphragm operated non return valve, there's nothing in it at all, any "cyclone" effect would be minimal if anything.

Simon, thanks, very interested to hear it had improved (eliminated?) oil carryover. That may be a simpler solution than a Provent. Brittanica Restorations have published a video showing the cut open empty cyclone unit- I guess the 'cyclones' may have been specified with something inside at one time .