200tdi conversion - LT77

Hi folks, quick query as I am hearing different opinions, I have acquired a low mileage disco 200tdi engine. I want to fit this to my 110 which has an LT77 gearbox. Will she straight fit onto the LT77 or do I need an adapter? I appreciate the engine will sit further back on the original engine mounts. Thanks in Advance 👍🏻

Edited by TommyKnocker

1 hour ago, TommyKnocker said:

Hi folks, quick query as I am hearing different opinions, I have acquired a low mileage disco 200tdi engine. I want to fit this to my 110 which has an LT77 gearbox. Will she straight fit onto the LT77 or do I need an adapter? I appreciate the engine will sit further back on the original engine mounts. Thanks in Advance 👍🏻

No adapter, but you will want to drill and tap one of the blanking holes most likely, so that it can be bolted up correctly.

For the conversion I would also advise buying a conversion downpipe, the Steve Parker one works and just fits without messing about. And also "clock" your turbo.

Conversion info here:

https://www.steveparkers.com/conversions/200-tdi-discovery-engine-conversion-kits-into-90110-4-cylinder-land-rovers/

Parts here:

https://www.steveparkers.com/product-category/conversions/200-tdi-discovery-90-110/

2 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

No adapter, but you will want to drill and tap one of the blanking holes most likely, so that it can be bolted up correctly.

For the conversion I would also advise buying a conversion downpipe, the Steve Parker one works and just fits without messing about. And also "clock" your turbo.

Conversion info here:

https://www.steveparkers.com/conversions/200-tdi-discovery-engine-conversion-kits-into-90110-4-cylinder-land-rovers/

Parts here:

https://www.steveparkers.com/product-category/conversions/200-tdi-discovery-90-110/

Thanks for the info, excuse my ignorance but what does ‘clock the turbo’ mean 🙈

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

What engine is your existing LT77 designed for?

It’s currently bolted onto a 19j at the moment 

It will bolt straight up to it no problem.

Clocking the turbo means to turn the inlet housing from its original position. There is a big circlip that holds it to the iron main body which you will have to remove first, but that's the only difficult bit. Swap the engine mount brackets from your original engine

Use the Steve Parker conversion exhaust for simplicity, if its still available, or make your own

You will also need an intercooler and hoses, and a glowplug relay. Not vital, but make the thing nicer to use.

I THINK that's about it but its 25 years since I did this.

11 minutes ago, smallfry said:

It will bolt straight up to it no problem.

Clocking the turbo means to turn the inlet housing from its original position. There is a big circlip that holds it to the iron main body which you will have to remove first, but that's the only difficult bit. Swap the engine mount brackets from your original engine

Use the Steve Parker conversion exhaust for simplicity, if its still available, or make your own

You will also need an intercooler and hoses, and a glowplug relay. Not vital, but make the thing nicer to use.

I THINK that's about it but its 25 years since I did this.

Thanks for the info, yes, I. You tubed the turbo clocking, makes sense now. The engine I am removing is an old 19J. Will these engine mounts fit into the 200? I have the mounts for the 200 also but it’s from a discovery.... 🤔

17 minutes ago, western said:

19J mounts will bolt to the 200tdi, use the forward most set of mounting holes on the 'new' engine block.

Sorry, forgot that bit !

Also, I remember the engine I had did NOT have a power steering pump on it, but the 19j pump and bracket will fit straight on if necessary, as I don't know if the Disco one is different.

14 hours ago, TommyKnocker said:

Thanks for the info, yes, I. You tubed the turbo clocking, makes sense now. The engine I am removing is an old 19J. Will these engine mounts fit into the 200? I have the mounts for the 200 also but it’s from a discovery.... 🤔

All the info is in the Steve Parker guide :)

Clocking the turbo does require drilling a couple of holes iirc. Could always get an engineering firm to do it for you. The reason for doing this is the location of the turbo on a Discovery engine, if you don't clock the turbo you will have issues fitting the pipe work, due to the design of the Ninety's inner wing.

Small tip, if you use a disco 300tdi turbo, you won't have to clock it :) I have a .. Land Rover 110 with a disco 200tdi, fitted with disco 300tdi turbo & steve parkers exhaust pipe for 300tdi and a LT77 gearbox. 

The intercooler will need custom made piping since the engine sits furter back. My setup:

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

This is a LHD !! So steering is at the other side and had to move the air filter to a different place, on the airco mounting ;)