Transfer box oil capacity

Sabre

How much oil does the LT230 take ?

I removed the box, had it overhauled, and wanted to fill it before refitting to the gearbox. Haynes specifies 2.3 liters up to suffix D, and 2.8 from suffix E.

I tilted the box slightly forward, started filling, and had oil gushing out the filler hole before I could get 2 liters in. Should it be 1.3 and 1.8 liters respectively ?

Also, where do I find the "suffix" on the box ? I found a number FTC 4178 on the casing, and FTC 3178 on the PTO cover

Thanks in advance

52 minutes ago, Tanuki said:

The official JLR Book-of-Words for my 90TD5 says the transfer-box takes 2.3 Litres.  Which is about what I typically budget for when getting 75W80 GL5 [which also goes into the front/rear diffs] for an all-round oilchange.

As I said, even with the box tilted forward, I could not get 2 liters in. Very strange 

Tanuki, you said you fill yours with 75W80 GL5.  Does the transfer box have any "yellow" metal, brass or bronze etc, in it, because I believe that GL5 is potentially damaging to these alloys, and that GL4 is recommended?  Or have I got it wrong😕?

Mike

21 hours ago, ashtrans said:

are you filling it with the sump horizontal ?

the output flanges sit much lower in the vehicle,

I had a look today, and it looks like you are correct, I have the box slanted towards the left, and that will reduce the capacity. I will do the final check/top-up with the box installed in the car

The GL5 I use [Lodexol FS 75W-90] is fully-synthetic and rated as safe for transmissions with 'yellow metal' components. I think the 'thing' about GL5 not being OK for such gearboxes was from 25 years back when GL5 non-synthetic oils were first introduced and some of them included lots of sulphur/phosphorus compounds [Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates?]

The stuff I use doesn't stink like the old high-sulphur "EP" hypoid oils.

Edited by Tanuki
  • Like 1